PDA

View Full Version : Toggle switch / Starter Button ?

pvt.Tadpol xj
03-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Anybody out there ever had to install Toggle switch or push button to bypass key Ign. switch to start their XJ'S. And what kind of Hard-starting issue's?

4.3LXJ
03-26-2010, 06:53 PM
I haven't done it on an XJ, but it is easily done. Just tap into the wire from the ign to the starter relay on the fender well. It will work like a charm.

pvt.Tadpol xj
03-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Thank you 4.3LXJ.. Are you referring to the PCU box?

4.3LXJ
03-26-2010, 07:16 PM
No, on the passenger fender well there is a little box with a heavy wire from the battery going to it. That is your starter relay. One of the wires to the bottom part of it goes to your starter, one to NSS and one from the ign. Tap into that one or just use the terminal with a new wire

W.O.R.P.Offroad
03-26-2010, 07:48 PM
how i did mine was ran a push button momentary switch hot wire from batt the switch and wire from switch to the solenoid. works like a charm wont start if switch is off but will turn over. another way you could do it use a switch hot to to power the momentary switch or to power a relay and then to the momentary switch so it wont even turn over with out the key on.

pvt.Tadpol xj
03-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Hey 4.3LXJ I am thinking along these line's because I have replaced just about everything else, and yet it is alway's hard to start. So maybe their is a problem between the column switch and this main you are speaking of?

4.3LXJ
03-26-2010, 07:57 PM
I really don't think that would cure it. Blue can verify this, but I think the Renix has to reach 300 rpms before it will start. If the relay is working and the starter turns over this is not the issue. You might get your battery checked and see how good it is. Also good cables, not the cheesy 4 gage ones, will help too. Check your fuel pressure running and when turned off too.

pvt.Tadpol xj
03-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Hey 4.3LXJ..Thank you again.. But i only understand a little about what you are trying to tell me.I apologize for my ignorance. I just never got any experience with wire's and that kind of stuff..Would you explain what you are pointing out to me about installing a starter switch inside my cab.

W.O.R.P.Offroad
03-26-2010, 09:17 PM
i have noticed that part about the rpm's with mine. if it dont turn over quick enough it wont start.

also it might be your nss switch causin probs. when mine started actin up i could play with the shifter and it would finally start. there is a main wire that goes to the nss that runs along the firewall if you splice that and ground it to the body that will bypass the nss and will help eliminate parts bein bad. the nss breaks a ground and thats why it wont let it start. we have done this on another jeep and it worked for him. just have to be careful it will start in gear.

4.3LXJ
03-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Hey 4.3LXJ..Thank you again.. But i only understand a little about what you are trying to tell me.I apologize for my ignorance. I just never got any experience with wire's and that kind of stuff..Would you explain what you are pointing out to me about installing a starter switch inside my cab.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/Build%20Stuff/Starterrelay007.jpg

Here is a rough drawing of the terminals on the starter relay. If you want to by pass the neutral safety switch as mentioned, just run the ground wire to a ground anywhere near the starter relay. The three spade terminals are what concern you for wiring up the starter switch. The one directly under the large post goes to the starter. The one on the bottom right goes to the NSS. The one on the left is the one that you need to tap into with your switch. Go from there to your switch and from the switch go to a source of power.

W.O.R.P.Offroad
03-26-2010, 11:57 PM
where is that located at 4.3? i havent seen on mine. mine is a renix too

toebee97
03-27-2010, 03:15 AM
how i did mine was ran a push button momentary switch hot wire from batt the switch and wire from switch to the solenoid. works like a charm wont start if switch is off but will turn over. another way you could do it use a switch hot to to power the momentary switch or to power a relay and then to the momentary switch so it wont even turn over with out the key on.
That's how mine is wired, works great.

4.3LXJ
03-27-2010, 10:17 AM
where is that located at 4.3? i havent seen on mine. mine is a renix too

Up by the battery on the fender well.

BlueXJ
03-27-2010, 02:21 PM
4.3 is right on the Renix the computer looks for multiple things before allowing the engine to start. The starter must turn the engine over at 300 RPM or more. The fuel pressure must reach 38 psi and the CPS must see at least 3 full cycles at the sensor.
When all these parameters are met the ECU will turn on the injectors and the ignition spark and not until they are each satisfied.

pvt.Tadpol xj
03-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Hey thank you everybody. I really appreciate your input and idea's... Man i didn't have this thread on here more than one hour and started getting response's man you guy's are like dynomite!...But all is well now.. I rarely send my XJ to a garage. But this was one of those time's i had to. I heard from my friend Ronny today and it turn's out my fuel pump is out. He checked everything out and could get no pressure at the rail. I really had a hunch it could be the pump. I'm glad it is something simple!. :smiley-laughing021:

pvt.Tadpol xj
04-21-2010, 05:39 AM
I need to find that wire that W.O.R.P.XJ is talking about because nothing else work's. Anybody know what this wire look's like?:confused: