PDA

View Full Version : What is needed to go from 4.5" to 6.5" lift.

Mudderoy
03-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Hmmm seems like I've asked this before, but I couldn't find my original post.

Okay here's my situation. I have a 4.5" / 5.5" Rough Country lift on my 1998 Jeep XJ. I WILL be going to 35x12.5x15 tires (who knows when). Before I do I need to lift the Jeep a little more. I'm thinking 6.5" should be fine. My originaly RC 4.5" lift was Add A Leaf (AAL). That means the kit came with add on leaves and a shackle. The combination of the two was meant to give 4.5" of lift. Later I replaced the stock leaves (and additional RC leaves) with 4.5" RC leaves. Now I have 4.5" leaves with the shackles. This means I have a 5.5" or 6.5" lift (rear) depending on the holes that I put the rear shackle bolts in.

So basically I am covered for 6.5" of lift in the back. For the front I will probably go with 6.5" Rough Country coils, or possibility go with 2" spacers. I'm leaning towards the coils though. They aren't that expensive, plus I can sell the 4.5" coils later.

My question is this. What else do I need to lift to 6.5"?

Here is what I'm thinking;

1. SYE - Slip Yoke Eliminator (Tom Woods is what I'll be doing for this.)
2. Dropped Pitman Arm (2" drop?)
3. Adjustable Track bar?
4. 26" brake lines

96xj
03-26-2010, 11:23 AM
i got a set of brake line relocaters for free if you want i got them from R/C when i got the lift

alwaysxj
03-26-2010, 11:26 AM
LCA lower kit if you do not have one already or long arms.

rguignard
03-26-2010, 11:29 AM
did you get the uca and lca with your lift ? or go with a long arm

4.3LXJ
03-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Muddy

At 6.5" your lower and upper control arm angles will be terrible. They will give you a harsh ride. To do this cheaply, you could use control arm drop brackets. There are several companies that make them. The ones with rear bracing are the best. About $200 I think. The best option of course is to go with long arms in the front. I don't know what you are running for shocks, but with the extra length on the springs you might need to get some shocks as well. You can figure that out in advance by checking how yours are fully extended and then calling RC and getting the extended length of their springs and comparing it to what you have. Since everything is a little different between manufacturers that is the only way to do it right. Also, depending on the length of the springs, you might need brake lines in the front but that is something you will also have to figure out by measuring. Since you have 4.5" control arms, you will need the drop brackets or long arms since the castor angle will be affected quite a bit by the additional height. To see how much, take off the tires and jack up the vehicle to its new height and use an angle finder on the top of the ball joint and check it.

Mudderoy
03-26-2010, 11:58 AM
i got a set of brake line relocaters for free if you want i got them from R/C when i got the lift

My 4.5" kit came with relocators. I want longer brake lines, but thanks.

Mudderoy
03-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Muddy

At 6.5" your lower and upper control arm angles will be terrible. They will give you a harsh ride. To do this cheaply, you could use control arm drop brackets. There are several companies that make them. The ones with rear bracing are the best. About $200 I think. The best option of course is to go with long arms in the front. I don't know what you are running for shocks, but with the extra length on the springs you might need to get some shocks as well. You can figure that out in advance by checking how yours are fully extended and then calling RC and getting the extended length of their springs and comparing it to what you have. Since everything is a little different between manufacturers that is the only way to do it right. Also, depending on the length of the springs, you might need brake lines in the front but that is something you will also have to figure out by measuring. Since you have 4.5" control arms, you will need the drop brackets or long arms since the castor angle will be affected quite a bit by the additional height. To see how much, take off the tires and jack up the vehicle to its new height and use an angle finder on the top of the ball joint and check it.

I don't mind a harsh ride. I didn't mention in the prior post that I will be going to the RC long arm kit eventually. I recently installed RC shocks in the front. They are good for 4 to 6 inches of lift according the RC.

I'll spend the money for a long arm kit long before I'll drop 1/2 that cost on replacement upper control arms and short arm drop brackets. I think the cost of those two items is nearly equal to the long arm kit.

Mudderoy
03-26-2010, 12:11 PM
did you get the uca and lca with your lift ? or go with a long arm

Nope lowers only. I was going to replace the factory stamped uppers but thank God RC came out with a cheap long arm kit before I spent the $200 for the upper control arm replacements.

The lowers that came with the 4.5" kit are much better than the stamped factory one's but they are NOT adjustable. So I'd need to spend about $400 just to replace the upper and lower control arms.

No thanks! I'll just get the long arm kit. :D

95xjcountry
03-26-2010, 12:15 PM
why not just keep it at 4.5"? you'll still be able to clear 35s

Mudderoy
03-26-2010, 01:17 PM
why not just keep it at 4.5"? you'll still be able to clear 35s

Well I was looking at the space I have now between the 32" and the bushwackers. I think it would clear, but it would be close. Too close for off roading I think, fine for the street and mall crawling though. :rotfl2:

Captain Ruggy
03-26-2010, 02:07 PM
You will also need to address your e brake cables. They will probably be pulled tight against the muffler.

And you do have enough lift for 35's now. Just go long arms or at least drop brackets so you will have some downtravel, that's where most of your flex is anyways. Bumpstop so your tires won't smash your flares and you'll be good.

Mudderoy
03-26-2010, 02:20 PM
You will also need to address your e brake cables. They will probably be pulled tight against the muffler.

And you do have enough lift for 35's now. Just go long arms or at least drop brackets so you will have some downtravel, that's where most of your flex is anyways. Bumpstop so your tires won't smash your flares and you'll be good.

Yeah I need to bump stop it now. I'll have to online order hockey pucks though! They don't sell those in South East Texas! :smiley-laughing021:

4.3LXJ
03-26-2010, 02:30 PM
You also mentioned steering. At that height the 2" drop pitman arm would be good, but you need to also drop the track bar mount on the frame by the same amount or you will have bump steer

rockcrusher
04-26-2010, 11:14 AM
Im in the same boat R/C 4.5 lift but i got 5.5 in the front and 4.5 in the back. now i want 6.5. LOL It never ends.

Mudderoy
04-26-2010, 02:06 PM
Im in the same boat R/C 4.5 lift but i got 5.5 in the front and 4.5 in the back. now i want 6.5. LOL It never ends.

lol, yep. I remember reading on NAXJA that no one is ever satisfied. When I was looking at gears I saw that 4.10 was what I needed, but several people told me to go one size lower/higher so I went with the 4.56.

The lift isn't so bad, gears would have been quite expensive. I'm in a good spot for the 35" tires now, other than weak axles. Yep, it never ends. :smiley-laughing021:

4.3LXJ
04-26-2010, 03:29 PM
I was thinking I might go an inch lower. Ah well, always the black sheep

BlueXJ
04-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Even though you replaced your shocks they may be a limiting factor. You stated you got ones that were rated for 6" but you are looking at a 6.5" lift. Brake lines are mandatory at that height too. I would just slap some front coil spacers in there to see if you are happy with that height. If you are then buy the coils. But them I am a cheapskate.

Mudderoy
04-27-2010, 02:52 AM
Even though you replaced your shocks they may be a limiting factor. You stated you got ones that were rated for 6" but you are looking at a 6.5" lift. Brake lines are mandatory at that height too. I would just slap some front coil spacers in there to see if you are happy with that height. If you are then buy the coils. But them I am a cheapskate.

I'll need to double check that, but when they said 4" to 6" lift and RC doesn't sell a 6" lift I assumed that their RC shock would work with their RC lift.

rockcrusher
04-27-2010, 07:59 AM
I'll need to double check that, but when they said 4" to 6" lift and RC doesn't sell a 6" lift I assumed that their RC shock would work with their RC lift.

Their part #'s for the shocks are the same for the 4.5 and the 6.5. Not sure on how much travel they have I have not gotten to flex mine out yet.:mad0090:

Mudderoy
04-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Well I might just stay with the 4.5" lift then, and spend my money on bump stops. I really need to bump stop my stuff.