PDA

View Full Version : NEED MAJOR HELP! plz

finneys98xj
03-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Well I start putting pops98xj lift on started with the rear everything went well till I started to take the leaf springs on the pass side offf. the front Bolt comes half out the it stopped coming out and just started spining in place. GReat now its' STRIPED out in the frame/bracket.

I have no welder so short of cutting the bracket off and putting a new one in what can I do? My tap is to big to get in there and tappit out if I drill it?

96xj
03-19-2010, 04:35 PM
i had to cut a hole in the frame , the spot weld broke off the frame not to hard of a job just cut a hole hold the nut and replace it , after you put the new nut on weld the frame back

Dirt Dogg Rydas
03-19-2010, 11:26 PM
Make sure the bolt is not seized to the bushing it happens pretty often. that's the problem I had.

finneys98xj
03-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Make sure the bolt is not seized to the bushing it happens pretty often. that's the problem I had.

it is

4.3LXJ
03-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Finney

Get a hack saw blade holder, (not a regular hack saw) and use it to cut the bolt off on both sides and the spring will fall out. Then you can see whether or not you have to replace the nut. If it is seized or whatever, then you can work with it from there. Here is a post I made on another site.

My turn here. This has never happened to me since I live out west away from the salt. But there are some alternatives that come to mind. First, if the nut is stripped, and still there, buy a helicoil kit, tap the new threads and insert the little spring they call a helicoil and it is done. Second, more common if the nut is broken loose, and this applies to any location on the frame, make sure the hole is round and go to a place that specializes in fasteners and get a nutsert kit. Get whatever size you will need for that hole and put it in and you have a new nut in the frame. If you have broken off a bolt, grind it smooth as possible, use a center punch and punch the center, then drill a hole and tap some new threads whatever size you want. All these options will cost a couple of dollars, but so does a hole saw.

BlueXJ
03-20-2010, 07:27 PM
4.3LXJ has the right answer in my opinion.

flippedXJ
03-20-2010, 08:08 PM
if you can fit it in a sawzall will cut that bolt out alot faster

Pops98xj
03-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks guys for the suggestions on my lift as it looks like I am "stuck" here in Puerto Rico for two more weeks. I was hoping Finneys98xj would have it done for me but no such luck.

finneys98xj
03-22-2010, 07:01 AM
Thanks pops you really are reassuring! Not

Anyway this is what I was thinking to do.

Cut the bolt, drop the spring, use a big ****ing Hammer and bust the nut loose from the frame. Then cut a hole in the frame to where I could put a new bolt and nut in there and hold it with a ratchet. then patch the hole and weld a section of about a foot of angle iron to the frame so it stiffens it back.

Thanks for all the help also.

finneys98xj
04-07-2010, 09:07 PM
We fixed it. We started by dilling into the old blot and get half through it. Then I took a punch and a big ****ing hammer. Knocked the bolt through into the frame! Then soak one of the bolts in oil and carefully worked it in and out of the frame till we got the threads straight.

SO now the *** of the jeep is done tomorrrow we start the front.

Mudderoy
04-08-2010, 10:25 AM
We fixed it. We started by dilling into the old blot and get half through it. Then I took a punch and a big ****ing hammer. Knocked the bolt through into the frame! Then soak one of the bolts in oil and carefully worked it in and out of the frame till we got the threads straight.

SO now the *** of the jeep is done tomorrrow we start the front.

Thanks for getting back to us. I was wondering how it was going. Don't forget to give us some pictures, of at least the after installation.

finneys98xj
04-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Thanks for getting back to us. I was wondering how it was going. Don't forget to give us some pictures, of at least the after installation.

It raining we will get pics tomorrow or later. Now all that has to be done is an adjustable trackbar, t-case drop, and tires.

Mudderoy
04-09-2010, 12:30 PM
It raining we will get pics tomorrow or later. Now all that has to be done is an adjustable trackbar, t-case drop, and tires.

You're on the home stretch!

BlueXJ
04-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Alien you can make the TC drop if you have some scrap 1" square tubing or some 1" square solid stock. It is easy and cheap. A welder and some solid round stock will allow you to sleeve the stock trackbar as well to make a budget trackbar too.
Sorry no budget ideas for tires!!!

finneys98xj
04-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Alien you can make the TC drop if you have some scrap 1" square tubing or some 1" square solid stock. It is easy and cheap. A welder and some solid round stock will allow you to sleeve the stock trackbar as well to make a budget trackbar too.
Sorry no budget ideas for tires!!!

The t-case drop is on its way from napa pops98xj suppose to be getting the bolts and spacers. The trackbar will be ordered in the next week or two.

Tires will come in about an month.

BlueXJ
04-09-2010, 12:48 PM
OK good to hear. Keep up the good work.

finneys98xj
04-09-2010, 12:51 PM
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r58/alienboyfinney/Mobile%20Uploads/0409101346.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r58/alienboyfinney/Mobile%20Uploads/0409101347.jpg

The rear was lifted 5inchs over the previous hieght and the front got a 4 inch rise.

4.3LXJ
04-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Pops will now be subject to noose bleeds

finneys98xj
04-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Trackbar is ordered