PDA

View Full Version : who would like to see a fabrication section?

alwaysxj
03-17-2010, 09:56 PM
so i had this suggestion to add a fabrication section to the forum for those of us that build all of the stuff that go one our jeeps. And i think it will help out a lot of people who would love to start to fab stuff but are just unsure on how to build it or just looking for some fab questions. i would love to see this what about you?

afbond03
03-17-2010, 10:05 PM
I think it would be pretty neat. Especially for folks like myself whom isn't a fabricator but hopes to learn to build one day. A section like that would def. give everyone ideas.

warrpath4x4
03-18-2010, 01:09 AM
ive been on other sites where they have added a fabrication section and you still end up with the questions " can i fit a 32" tire?" which is not a fabrication section question. i know there is no way of keeping people from posting in the wrong section, im sure ive done it before but it just gets annoying.

UKJeepThang
03-18-2010, 02:29 AM
A great idea! I'm not a fabricator either but I'm looking to by a MIG welder at the moment so that I can play around with it and learn.
:thumbsup:

pvt.Tadpol xj
03-18-2010, 05:03 AM
I think it is a good idea.... I have made a few FAB's on my 91 XJ this year. I am still trying to borrow a Digital from a family member to post what i have done.:camera:

rockcrusher
03-19-2010, 09:05 PM
I think it a great idea. Its always hard to make that first cut in your fenders floor pan ect..

ol"blue
03-20-2010, 07:48 AM
I thinks it's a good idea. I like to see what people have done to get ideas for some possible mods. or projects or whatever.
Dan

BlueXJ
03-20-2010, 09:49 AM
You usually end up with a few core fabricators and multiple comments. Most people would rather knock something you build than learn how to do it better.

ol"blue
03-21-2010, 07:44 AM
You usually end up with a few core fabricators and multiple comments. Most people would rather knock something you build than learn how to do it better.

Yeah but on that same note, you've got people who've never built or modified anything in their life trying to slam someone who is making an effort to improve or build something that will make a difference in strengthening or improving their vehicle. Arm chair quarter-backing if you will. That's my opinion.
Dan

4.3LXJ
03-21-2010, 12:06 PM
For what it is worth, the entries fab section should first of all be approved by the Admin or Moderators for being safe and good representatives of good mods. Second, the mod section should be there for reference for others to easily access and if left alone would be an easy reference for new members that are not experienced. Third, other comments could and should be addressed in the other parts of the forum.

pvt.Tadpol xj
03-21-2010, 01:07 PM
I agree because anybody who really care's' about thier XJ and is finding solution"s to thier maintenance need's here know's that the majority of Xj's are a high maintenance vehicle. And i can say for myself this Forum has helped me solve a few really difficult issue's on my ride, and has inspired me to press on and get thing's done that i might otherwise not finish. I have been able to create two very nice heat shield's under my hood that i am confident are going to reduce heat related problem;s by as much as 80% starting this summer. I need to get back to a certain family member about borrowing a camera so i can finally post a few picture's....

alwaysxj
03-21-2010, 09:08 PM
i think this section would work well. i saw on another forum a guys wright up on long arms he had just built and it was just so use full i keep going back to it to design my long arm build im in right now. if i would of not seen that post i would of probably started my build this soon i would of payed some one to do it for me. so i think this section would be good for everyone. but i agree about the people bad mouthing someone's build if you don't like it then don't post something about it. i like the idea of the mods passing off on each and every post in that section. i hope to see this added to the forum. thanks everyone for the in put.

4.3LXJ
03-21-2010, 09:45 PM
I am not sure I meant to imply we would pass off on every post. I think the thing to do is to lock it. Discussion about it could be separate. We would have to have a "tech mod" or something to pass off on it then lock it. The original poster would have editing rights on it.

Silly Willy
03-24-2010, 07:26 AM
I am not sure I meant to imply we would pass off on every post. I think the thing to do is to lock it. Discussion about it could be separate. We would have to have a "tech mod" or something to pass off on it then lock it. The original poster would have editing rights on it.

X2

but if someone wants to know about a mod, they can pm the Poster or basically post a question thread with reference of the post in question.

The Fab section almost should have at least 2 parts, a fab posting section, and a fab question section. Its such a PITA to search through pages of questions to find the thread you're looking for.

4.3LXJ
03-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Agree, that is what I was trying to get at.

rockcrusher
04-14-2010, 09:59 AM
For what it is worth, the entries fab section should first of all be approved by the Admin or Moderators for being safe and good representatives of good mods. Second, the mod section should be there for reference for others to easily access and if left alone would be an easy reference for new members that are not experienced. Third, other comments could and should be addressed in the other parts of the forum.

only bad thing about that if someone has a better way of doing something you will be chasing post all over to find what someone else did i thing that if you do one that every one should be able to give there 2 cents

Mudderoy
04-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Well this has been going for awhile and nothing happening, in as much as a section created.

I think the majority would like a fabrication section and it looks like most people like the idea of asking questions. Maybe we could just have the moderators approve any posts here. Then they could filter out what was a valid project and question.

Everyone would need to understand that it's not a personal dig if your project or question didn't get published, just the moderators doing what moderators do guiding and directing things.

They could also move posts around into a more logical grouping. Like the concern about having projects and questions floating all over.

:coffee:

alwaysxj
04-14-2010, 10:26 AM
i think that would work just fine.

DETOURS
04-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Yeah but on that same note, you've got people who've never built or modified anything in their life trying to slam someone who is making an effort to improve or build something that will make a difference in strengthening or improving their vehicle. Arm chair quarter-backing if you will. That's my opinion.
Dan

This is better refered to as a "Web Engineer", this is what most online vendors refer to them as being..........Typically, they're 15-17 years old but there are also the 25 year old "No Clues" out there as well........... They slam a product with no background, no knowledge, no clue....not to mention they do not own the product.......or have knowledge of the engineering.......

Enough on that, I've followed "Web-Engineers" for over 9 years, only to learn over time.......who and what their about.......99.9% are only mouths on the world wide free to speak interweb............mostly trash who read something different somewhere else......

That said.....

Its all a good idea, but needs moderator attention, should'nt be posted on 12 other XJ sites, and the integraty of the modifacation should be considered, everyone thinks they can mig weld........with 43 OTHER automobiles running on the highway next to you/accross from you ALL at any given time, you best know how to use the equipment, and use it correctly......if you dont, your a dumb a$$.......and dont be surprised when your junk fails and you are sued.....by another insurance company, possibly for more than your entire living family is worth.........

It happens every day.

While this post seems negative, its not......lets see the BEST efforts out there from those who took the time to research and show some REAL skill!!

Lets Role!:thumbsup:

rockcrusher
04-15-2010, 07:52 AM
Sounds good, Lets give it a try.

rguignard
04-15-2010, 08:28 AM
This is better refered to as a "Web Engineer", this is what most online vendors refer to them as being..........Typically, they're 15-17 years old but there are also the 25 year old "No Clues" out there as well........... They slam a product with no background, no knowledge, no clue....not to mention they do not own the product.......or have knowledge of the engineering.......

Enough on that, I've followed "Web-Engineers" for over 9 years, only to learn over time.......who and what their about.......99.9% are only mouths on the world wide free to speak interweb............mostly trash who read something different somewhere else......

That said.....

Its all a good idea, but needs moderator attention, should'nt be posted on 12 other XJ sites, and the integraty of the modifacation should be considered, everyone thinks they can mig weld........with 43 OTHER automobiles running on the highway next to you/accross from you ALL at any given time, you best know how to use the equipment, and use it correctly......if you dont, your a dumb a$$.......and dont be surprised when your junk fails and you are sued.....by another insurance company, possibly for more than your entire living family is worth.........

It happens every day.

While this post seems negative, its not......lets see the BEST efforts out there from those who took the time to research and show some REAL skill!!

Lets Role!:thumbsup:

what he said :thumbsup::thumbsup: