PDA

View Full Version : toebee97 has joined!

4.3LXJ
03-17-2010, 06:04 AM
Hi toebee97, welcome to the xjtalk forum!

Please take a few moments and tell us more about you and your Jeep.
BTW, we love pictures, hint hint.

Check out "Announcements" "How to post an image" for help posting images.

toebee97
03-17-2010, 06:32 AM
I just found this site on accident, but I've been looking for a forum like this forever. I just sold my 89 xj for parts(rip), had a nasty rear main leak and a cracked head, just too much time and money to fix it. But I also have a 90 xj limited. Haven't gotten it totally roadworthy yet, still a work in progress.

tbone
03-17-2010, 07:51 AM
Hello and welcome from TN. :patriot:

96xj
03-17-2010, 09:55 AM
:welcome: to xjtalk from Florida

ol"blue
03-18-2010, 07:13 PM
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss68/DLHTURBO/10mnc4m.gif

N1TZU
03-18-2010, 07:17 PM
Hello toebee97,Welcome to XJT from Maine...Good luck have fun and be safe on the XJ that you have work to do on....Post some pics if you can....

alwaysxj
03-18-2010, 10:09 PM
hello and welcome to xjtalk from utah

BlueXJ
03-18-2010, 10:47 PM
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll187/90BlueXJ/Neon_Sign-WELCOME.jpg you have found utopia.

4.3LXJ
03-18-2010, 10:49 PM
I just found this site on accident, but I've been looking for a forum like this forever. I just sold my 89 xj for parts(rip), had a nasty rear main leak and a cracked head, just too much time and money to fix it. But I also have a 90 xj limited. Haven't gotten it totally roadworthy yet, still a work in progress.

We look forward to your getting it on the road.

BlueXJ
03-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Ask me if you need Renix advice.

toebee97
03-24-2010, 05:36 AM
Sorry I keep forgetting to post pics. This is my old 89, I miss it alot(rip). It was my first Jeep and the best damn rig I've had. I paid $250 for it, and drove it for almost 2 1/2 years. I never lifted it or anything, just replace a few things like the water pump, s-belt, and the injectors and fuel rail(that was a learning experience as I was only familiar with carbs before). It had almost 314,000 miles on it when it finally gave out last December. I ended up selling it to a guy for parts a while back, so at least the running gears will live on in another xj.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj289/toebee97/IMAG0014.jpg

This is my 90 limited. I think it's only got around 160,000 miles on it, no leaks of any kind, good springs. Just figured out the problem with my brakes was the relay going to the hydraulic pump. It was all corroded and partially melted! So I'll be pig-tailing in a new relay this week. This is the only picture I have so far, my buddy sent it to me when he offered to sell it to me a few months ago. Paid $300 for this one, I plan to put a 3 or 4 inch lift and 31s on it before summer. It runs awesome, as far as I can tell it may need an alignment, or at the very least tighten up the tie rod ends, it's got a little death wobble. But since I don't really know what condition anything is on this thing, what are some things I should just replace right off the bat so I know what shape they're in from this point forward?

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj289/toebee97/0915091720.jpg

4.3LXJ
03-24-2010, 11:40 AM
What you end up replacing might be affected by what lift you end up with. Three inch lifts are cheap and easy and don't require any hardware modification. But once you get to 4" and above lifts, you have to start getting things like adjustable track bars and control arms.

So having said that, you first need to find out why you have death wobble. There are two things on a stock rig that are the culprits most of the time. The track bar bushing and the steering box adjustment. To find out what is causing this, get someone to move the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the steering box. With the engine running, the pitman arm should move immediately. If not, it will need to be adjusted. Then look under the front, again while someone moves the steering wheel back and forth. There should not be any movement at places of attachment such as track bar bushings and tie rod ends.

toebee97
03-24-2010, 04:33 PM
What you end up replacing might be affected by what lift you end up with. Three inch lifts are cheap and easy and don't require any hardware modification. But once you get to 4" and above lifts, you have to start getting things like adjustable track bars and control arms.

So having said that, you first need to find out why you have death wobble. There are two things on a stock rig that are the culprits most of the time. The track bar bushing and the steering box adjustment. To find out what is causing this, get someone to move the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the steering box. With the engine running, the pitman arm should move immediately. If not, it will need to be adjusted. Then look under the front, again while someone moves the steering wheel back and forth. There should not be any movement at places of attachment such as track bar bushings and tie rod ends.
That's why I was thinking probably just a 3", at least for now, I don't really have the time and money to replace a bunch of suspension and steering components right now. That should be high enough to stuff 31s under it, maybe trim out the inner fenders a bit. I shouldn't say it has the typical xj "death wobble," more like just a little slop in the steering, it just wanders back and forth like a tie rod end is loose or something. I'll definitely investigate the track bar bushing and the steering box though, thanks for the tip.

4.3LXJ
03-24-2010, 05:53 PM
No problem, that is what we are here for