PDA

View Full Version : The Jack Thread

4.3LXJ
03-08-2010, 12:54 PM
From Payless 4X4:

I carry one with me all the time but I also have an aluminum floor jack with me. The Hi Lift is a good tool but its just that a tool it must be properly maintained and used

There are mixed opinions and experiences with Hi Lift jacks as well as other solutions. Post up what you use to lift your Jeep.

Mudderoy
03-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Right now, a floor jack that's in my garage. :thumbdown:

rguignard
03-08-2010, 01:34 PM
i have a highlift that is about 10 or 12yr old ive used it alot and i did rebuild it about a year ago and it works fine but to work on the xj i use the lift :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
03-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Didn't someone die recently working on a Grand using a high lift as the means of support?

rguignard
03-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Didn't someone die recently working on a Grand using a high lift as the means of support?

i think they did but they didnt block the tires or something like that i cant remember :shocker:

i found it

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/images/wpvi/cms_exf_2007/news/local/7043450_448x252.jpg
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=7043427

http://www.quadratecforum.com/showthread.php?p=910295
and heres some more

4.3LXJ
03-08-2010, 02:27 PM
My Jeep is high enough to pull the tranny without the stands :D

On a more serious note, this is kind of why I posted this thread. Many off road people use high lifts, and get by with them. But to my mind, they are very unsafe.

Mudderoy
03-08-2010, 02:30 PM
My Jeep is high enough to pull the tranny without the stands :D

On a more serious note, this is kind of why I posted this thread. Many off road people use high lifts, and get by with them. But to my mind, they are very unsafe.

Yeah it was a good idea for a post. Hopefully we can get into some do's and don'ts.

rguignard
03-08-2010, 02:37 PM
i feel its like any tool out there if used wrong bad things can and will happen but if used right you should be ok BUT bad things can still happen !

4.3LXJ
03-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Yeah it was a good idea for a post. Hopefully we can get into some do's and don'ts.

First thing I can think of that is done a lot is using a hi lift to change a tire. It is insane to jack a lifted vehicle up all the way to the limits of the suspension to change a tire. You run the risk of it slipping sideways or the jack slipping on the bumper and the vehicle falling.

BlueXJ
03-08-2010, 03:10 PM
I use a bottle jack but do carry a HiLift too. I have used it for many things since I have been carrying it but never to lift the Jeep. Bead breaker, fence stretcher, towbar and log lifter when trail clearing.

Indiana Jeep
03-08-2010, 04:30 PM
I carry the Hi-Lift on my roof rack and use a Big Red 6 ton bottle jack for tire changes etc. I got my XJ used and didn't take a look at the jack. The previous owner had apparently left it extended and it locked up. Luckily I was close to Tractor Supply and they had them on sale so I got a bigger one. :D Not that I like having flats, but couldn't of asked for better timing!!

Jesse-James
03-17-2010, 11:04 PM
I carry a hi lift and have used it to change tires (ratchet strap on the links to stop the susp from drooping) but I usually use a bottle jack under the axle tube.