PDA

View Full Version : strong enough??

wilddutchman
03-07-2010, 11:10 PM
does anyone know if the rocker pannels are stronge enough to be used as a lifting point with a hi-lift with out bending or damaging anything. im not sure and dont want to try it with out a little input. i do not have rock sliders or anything like that. thanks for any input

Mudderoy
03-08-2010, 05:18 AM
does anyone know if the rocker pannels are stronge enough to be used as a lifting point with a hi-lift with out bending or damaging anything. im not sure and dont want to try it with out a little input. i do not have rock sliders or anything like that. thanks for any input

I'll have to double check, but I thought that there are two locations along the seem that are set up for the jack to go under.

UKJeepThang
03-08-2010, 06:10 AM
I wouldn't recommend using a hi-lift under the rocker panels. I would doubt you could get a hi-lift under there anyway!

JeepinOutfitters
03-08-2010, 07:17 AM
No! The rocker panels are just sheetmetal, like the door skins and fenders. Might be a tad thicker, but no where near strong enough to use as a lifting point. There's a reason why rocker guards are so popular. ;)

Fwiw, the factory bottle jack extends tall enough to change most 33" tires.

BlueXJ
03-08-2010, 08:34 AM
HiLifts don't fit there very well due to the body curve. The rockers are about 4" in from the side of the body. A floor jack can be used there with a board strong enough that it would spread the weight out along the board ( 12-18") but the rockers can't be trusted in rustbelt parts of the country.

4.3LXJ
03-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Personally, I don't like hi lifts anyway. But just my opinion. You could use on on a properly installed rock rail that has a jack point built in.

Mudderoy
03-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Personally, I don't like hi lifts anyway. But just my opinion. You could use on on a properly installed rock rail that has a jack point built in.

I've heard they are barley safe when properly maintained. :eek:

xj4life2
03-08-2010, 12:49 PM

I carry one with me all the time but I also have an aluminum floor jack with me. The Hi Lift is a good tool but its just that a tool it must be properly maintained and used