PDA

View Full Version : coils vc coild and spacers

alwaysxj
03-05-2010, 12:00 AM
so i will be getting some new coils to level out the front of my jeep this week end. here is my question this guy has some 7.5 coils or some 6 inch coils i need 7.5 to make me level. what is going to be better the 6 inch with my spacers or just get the 7.5 with no spacers? he want's 60 for the 6 inch and 100 for the 7.5 so it is not that much of a difference in price. i have never drove a xj with out spacers how is this going to ride if i just do the 7.5 coils with no spacers? i know it will still ride like crap with all the lift i have and still have short arms on it . i will be adding new steering and long arms soon. so all coils or spacers and coils? thanks :driving:

sorry for the vc i did not have my eyes in when i wrote this. edit title vs my bad

4.3LXJ
03-05-2010, 01:08 AM
You will get more total flex with the full coils. Not a lot of difference, but a little. Less pieces to deal with also.

UKJeepThang
03-05-2010, 05:07 AM
Definately go with full coils if you can. :thumbsup:

rguignard
03-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Definately go with full coils if you can. :thumbsup:

x2

JeepinOutfitters
03-05-2010, 08:52 AM
Honestly it's really not going to make any real difference either way. Your shocks and other things up front determine how much flex you have, not you coils. And spacers in and of themselves make no difference in ride, so IMHO it just boils down to which option is less expensive and which coils will ride better (assuming they don't have the same spring rate).

XJ4IV
03-06-2010, 09:15 AM
I tossed in one extra spring isolater to make up for old front springs and they leveled me out you cn snag those at the junkyard for like 5 bucks

alwaysxj
03-06-2010, 10:25 AM
thanks for all the info guys I'm just leaving the house to go and get my re 7.5 coils. i sold my re 4.5 coils in 20 minutes last night and sold my spacers today. so i will have to pay 30 out of my pocket for a full re 7.5 not bad now i should be level hopefully.

Mudderoy
03-06-2010, 10:28 AM
thanks for all the info guys I'm just leaving the house to go and get my re 7.5 coils. i sold my re 4.5 coils in 20 minutes last night and sold my spacers today. so i will have to pay 30 out of my pocket for a full re 7.5 not bad now i should be level hopefully.

Thanks, after pricing some RC 6.5 coils I thought I might be able to sell my 4.5" pretty easy. I think I'll be doing the same thing. I'm already set up for 6.5" in the back.

4.3LXJ
03-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Just a suggestion fellas, just getting the height is only half the battle at 7.5". There is steering upgrades to consider there too. RC rightly recommends them at 7.5" and I have found personally that these have to be done because the tie rod ends don't have enough range of motion to accomodate full extension. I know that steering upgrades were planned soon, but I found that to do it right it had to be done with the lift. You will need some sort of high steer solution. I have a tereflex I am happy with. There are others as well. Also you can utilize the wrecking yard for WJ knuckles and brakes for a cheaper solution.

Mudderoy
03-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Just a suggestion fellas, just getting the height is only half the battle at 7.5". There is steering upgrades to consider there too. RC rightly recommends them at 7.5" and I have found personally that these have to be done because the tie rod ends don't have enough range of motion to accomodate full extension. I know that steering upgrades were planned soon, but I found that to do it right it had to be done with the lift. You will need some sort of high steer solution. I have a tereflex I am happy with. There are others as well. Also you can utilize the wrecking yard for WJ knuckles and brakes for a cheaper solution.

I'm not anywhere near doing the 6.5, but I figured I needed a dropped pitmon arm at least.

4.3LXJ
03-06-2010, 08:40 PM
If you do that, also get a drop bracket for the frame that is the same amount of drop. That way you will not have any bump steer.

alwaysxj
03-06-2010, 09:17 PM
i am just waiting for a check to come to me in the mail any day now and i will be ordering the the steering from ironrockoffroad.com it is a cross over steering.