PDA

View Full Version : i need a drop pitman arm

hoerter2158
02-19-2010, 03:57 PM
I need a drop down pitman arm for a 98 cherokee sport 4x4 with a 4.5 in rough country lift with 31 in tires. Can someone send me a link of exactly what i need. Will i need anything else? And will i be able to put my trackbar in the original whole?

alwaysxj
02-19-2010, 04:08 PM
you can get one from sky jacker but you will need to raise your track bar to make it parallel or else you will get bad bump steer. or you can go to the junk yard and get one off of a zj it will give you about a 1" drop with little to no bump steer.

xj4life2
02-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Actually with a four and a half in lift you should have recieved a track bar drop bracket with the kit or a adjustable one. As for the drop pitman you don't always need one with a lift at 4.5. I usually start with out one check to be sure the angles are ok , if not then I go to a drop.

4.3LXJ
02-19-2010, 05:56 PM
I agree. I 'm not sure why you want a drop. The only reason I would get one is if the tie rod was extended at droop so far it was binding. But if you get one, you will need to drop the frame end of the trac bar mount by the same amount or you will pick up some bump steer.

Abovetimberline
02-19-2010, 06:14 PM
you can get one from sky jacker but you will need to raise your track bar to make it parallel or else you will get bad bump steer. or you can go to the junk yard and get one off of a zj it will give you about a 1" drop with little to no bump steer.

That is what I did,got one from a V8 zj along with the tierod which is much beefier than the xj,however I had no ill handling issues,got it because it is an upgrade.

xj4life2
02-19-2010, 07:42 PM
That is what I did,got one from a V8 zj along with the tierod which is much beefier than the xj,however I had no ill handling issues,got it because it is an upgrade.

I agree the v8 grand tie rod / drag link is an awesome swap, Junk yard or new its a great deal !!

hoerter2158
02-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Well, in that kit they tell you to drill a new hole for the trackbar 3/4 of an INCH right of the old hole. I did that good. But i have death wobble randomly like a b****. And the angle seems pretty bad. But will it fix it with an adj track bar?

Mudderoy
02-20-2010, 04:14 PM
My RC 4.5 came with that drop bracket. I don't have death wobble, nor do I hit bump stops. Steering is actually better with the RC kit that it was stock.

Oh the Detours front bumper made a big difference too. Made it more solid a feel.

4.3LXJ
02-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Well, in that kit they tell you to drill a new hole for the trackbar 3/4 of an INCH right of the old hole. I did that good. But i have death wobble randomly like a b****. And the angle seems pretty bad. But will it fix it with an adj track bar?

There are two main reasons lift kits cause death wobble. The first, the castor angle is changed. In other words the front axle is tilted forward. That is one reason why when lifting above 3" you need to get different upper and lower links. The factory angle of -7 degrees needs to be maintained to steer properly. The second reason is related. The track bar bushing takes a lot of abuse and wears out easily. If it is loose or worn out then the change in castor angle doesn't allow the wheels to self align and when hitting a bump sets up harmonic motion in opposite directions between the axle and steering.

Get someone to move the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the track bar and pitman arm. The pitman arm should move immediately when the sector shaft rotates. If not adjust the steering box. Then the track bar should remain stable where it bolts to the axle. If not, replace the bushing. If the alignment shop says the castor is positive or near positive, then get some adjustable arms and use them to adjust the castor angle and then you will be good to go.

hoerter2158
03-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Found out my death woble was from the new track bar whole we drilled. Thats fixed. But not the tie rod on the drag bar the one to the pitman arm is weariing out, guessing because of the angle. What do i need now?

4.3LXJ
03-20-2010, 05:24 PM
You say it is wearing out. Is that because it is just old or because the range of motion has been exceeded. That should not have been the case with a 4.5" lift. Peek under the rubber cover and see if the metal is pushed up. If not, it just needs replacing from wear.

hoerter2158
04-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Well since the lift the boot tore and the angle is a lot more than is was before i put the lift one