PDA

View Full Version : I cant get my upper rear main seal out of my 90 XJ any ideas?

SargDeath
02-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Any ideas for getting a rear main seal out of the engine block on a 4.0L
I have allready tried using a punch and now the ends exposed are pretty beat up and it still wont budge. I am wondering if there is a better way to do besides using a punch and a mallet. Possible some chemical I can spray to help dissolve the rubber, anything!

thanks

xj287
02-18-2010, 06:34 PM
I've alway just poped them out with a screw driver......and I've done ALOT of them! Soaking it with carb. cleaner will desolve any crud glueing it in place though.

rguignard
02-18-2010, 06:57 PM
I've alway just poped them out with a screw driver......and I've done ALOT of them! Soaking it with carb. cleaner will desolve any crud glueing it in place though.

x2 it works

xj4life2
02-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Hit it with carb cleaner and rab on and pull if you can or use a screwdriver as they suggested. Hang in there you'll get it !!!

Abovetimberline
02-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Use a small wooden dowel,if you scratch the crankshaft you will have even bigger issues.

BlueXJ
02-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Plastic tools for interior trim work are the best to use but wooden dowel will do the trick.

muddeprived
02-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Mine was a little difficult to get out too. I had a partner help me and what we did was I pushed up on one side and he pulled down on the other with a pair of pliers. VERY CAREFULLY though cuz scratches are your worst nightmare.

SargDeath
02-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks everyone I sprayed it with carb med before I went to bed and in the morning I tried again no luck, then I switched to a steel punch with a steel hammer. What I think was messing me up the whole time was the rubber mallet. It took all the shock power out of each blow. But I got er done and so far no leaks but I keep my fingers crossed

cantab27
02-20-2010, 02:09 PM
good news mate, i used stell punch when i did mine , came out easy as , :thumbsup: