PDA

View Full Version : shim ??

Voldemort
02-18-2010, 01:35 AM
OK I'm about to order the IRO H-n-T with the Double cardan DS and seal, and i know I will need some shims. I just can't figure out if I need 4 degree or 6!?!? I will be around 6.5"-7" of lift on a auto with a C 8.25" and the rear lift is all leaf and stock shackles.

4.3LXJ
02-18-2010, 10:06 AM
Big Bad

Get yourself an angle finder. They are cheap. Then sit the springs on the axle and take a pinion measurement and then tip it up where you want and measure it again. Subtract the first from the second and that is what you want.

BlueXJ
02-18-2010, 12:16 PM
I have done similar measurements to what 4.3LXJ suggested but used the driveshaft as the base to put the magnetic angle finder on.
I changed the angle of the pinion until I reduced the DS angle to near 0 then subtracted the original angle to determine what degree shim was needed.

4.3LXJ
02-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Big Bad

P.S. this is a good shop tool for fabbing also. Well worth the money.

Voldemort
02-18-2010, 10:55 PM
Big Bad

P.S. this is a good shop tool for fabbing also. Well worth the money.

Yea dude I have 3 of them I Fab many things for Jeeps but I also build Drag cars and build sprint cars for my neighbor.:thumbsup: Maybe I should have been more specific in my first post. I know how to do the measurements to get which shims to use, I was hoping some one could give me a idea of which shims they have used for a similar setup. That way I could buy everything at once and not have to wait a week after I get the SYE on. I guess I wanted to be lazy and have some one give me a idea of which one I needed.:thanx:

muddeprived
02-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Big Bad, get both shims, 4 and 6. Sell the ones you don't need. I got 2 and 4 degrees for my 4.5" and I ended up using 2 degrees even though everyone said I would need 4 degrees. I sold the unused shims within a week. it's just better to be prepared than sorry.

You can always install sye, measure angles, drop t-case, order shims, wait for shims, receive shims, install shims, remove t-case drop.

Voldemort
02-19-2010, 05:28 PM
That is the way it looks like I will have to do it, seems like the XJs have so many different options that you have to just do it.