PDA

View Full Version : oil pump replacement on rear main seal replacement is it worth it?

SargDeath
02-18-2010, 01:29 AM
I am just redoing the rear main seal on my 90 xj and I was wondering while I have the oil pan off if it is worth it to replace the oil pump while I have the oil pan off. I figured they are a mechanical pump it should be fine but was wondering if anyone has any input?

Mudderoy
02-18-2010, 07:06 AM
I am just redoing the rear main seal on my 90 xj and I was wondering while I have the oil pan off if it is worth it to replace the oil pump while I have the oil pan off. I figured they are a mechanical pump it should be fine but was wondering if anyone has any input?

I read something about the seals on the oil filter. Those seals can start leaking and it looks like a rear main seal leak. Three cheep "O" rings from the dealer. Actually I need to do mine. Your's is prob the rear main seal, but I thought I'd mention the "O" rings. Might as well replace those too.

Personally I think I would change the oil pump while I was there also, but I haven't been on the inside of my motor.

cheap jeep
02-18-2010, 10:09 AM
If your Jeep is carrying good oil pressure, I would say it was probably all right to leave it alone,but I would replace it if I had it apart anyway,if it was mine.

xj4life2
02-18-2010, 10:57 AM
YES YES YES can I say it again YES. Oil pumps on these are know to fail at 150k. The rear main is a pain by itself so since your there you might as well by some cheap insurance and replace the pump. You'll be glad you did in the long run. Be sure you prime it though.

xj4life2
02-18-2010, 11:01 AM
I read something about the seals on the oil filter. Those seals can start leaking and it looks like a rear main seal leak. Three cheep "O" rings from the dealer. Actually I need to do mine. Your's is prob the rear main seal, but I thought I'd mention the "O" rings. Might as well replace those too.

Personally I think I would change the oil pump while I was there also, but I haven't been on the inside of my motor.

This is very true and something to look at before you jump to the main , also the rear corner of the valve cover in the back tends to leak down and look like a rear main. My suggestion would be clean everything up get some dye in it and then asertian where the leak is comming from.

Mudderoy
02-18-2010, 11:01 AM
YES YES YES can I say it again YES. Oil pumps on these are know to fail at 150k. The rear main is a pain by itself so since your there you might as well by some cheap insurance and replace the pump. You'll be glad you did in the long run. Be sure you prime it though.

What about on a 1998?

SargDeath
02-18-2010, 11:53 AM
This is very true and something to look at before you jump to the main , also the rear corner of the valve cover in the back tends to leak down and look like a rear main. My suggestion would be clean everything up get some dye in it and then asertian where the leak is comming from.

thanks for the suggestion but one of the first things I did when I got my jeep was take off the valve cover and sandblast and paint it then re put it on with a neoprene gasket. I still did check behind my valve cover just to be sure.

BlueXJ
02-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Your oil filter adapter has o rings which get hard overtime and start leaking. That is why they need periodic replacement. Most will last about 12-15 years but may get hardened earlier.
As to the oil pump, replace it if you have the pan off. Get a new one not a rebuilt one and stick with a name brand pump too.

xj4life2
02-18-2010, 12:58 PM
What about on a 1998?

Nothing specific on a 98, As far as I have heard all 4.0's have the same issue . I replace them on all 4.0's

pvt.Tadpol xj
02-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Hey I've wondering about the same thing to. My oil pan leaks on both sides, and I am planning on replacing the gaskett this spring, and so i was wondering about getting to the oil pump while I'm in there. Another question that come's to mind is while I'm in there is there any oil passages that can be checked out and maybe cleaned out a little?...:patriot:

flippedXJ
02-19-2010, 08:14 PM
I was gonna say the same thing especially if you are high in milage - it is a fairly easy preventitive maintence thing. Its actually a general rule of thumb with any vehicle.

LizardRunner
03-05-2011, 03:31 PM
I am a big believer in replacing everything that wears while you have things opened up anyway. Oil pumps wear out, gaskets and seals. If I open up the vavle cover for example, I'm going to check vavle seals and springs while I'm in there and replace if they look the least bit worn, why open up something twice when you can do it only once.

Weldmen
03-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Yes yes oh and yes. If yer in, there get it done.

Switch_knuckles
03-10-2011, 12:02 AM
I have what appears to be leaks coming from every corner of my engine. But after reading this thread I have a few places I need to check. And a few ideas on what I should do while I am under there.

BrianXJ
03-10-2011, 01:07 AM
I just replaced the rear main on my 87 XJ. While I was there I replace the oil pump and gasket with a Fel-pro rubber one piece pan gasket. that why I know everything is good.