PDA

View Full Version : XJ Replacement chassis

xj287
02-16-2010, 08:00 PM
I've been tossing around the idea of building and selling built to order replacement chassis for XJ's at my shop. Uni-body rust out is a big problem up here in the north country and most XJ's up here end up being taken off the road (and trail) more for total rust out then for mechanical problems.

So here's what I'm working on....a completely assembled chassis, floor boards, rockers, frame rails...pre-welded ready to drop the upper body shell on....all made out of 11 gauge steal. The frame rails would be beefed up for off-road use and would be compatable with CJ-YJ-TJ bumpers, and all of the normal XJ weak spots would be reinforced.

I'd love to here any and all thoughts, coments, concerns...call it market research if you want. This wont happen any time soon, at least not until the work shcedual at my shop opens up a little. But I'm hopping to have a rolling prototype with in the next year. The idea is to build a solid platform for a "Life Time Jeep", the kind of thing you build one and it will out live us all.

So what do you all think?

4.3LXJ
02-16-2010, 10:01 PM
It is a great idea, but how much would it cost? Most of the do it yourselfers are cheap and won't spend more than a $1.98 for anything. But I think it is a great concept, particularly if it could be made rust proof.

flippedXJ
02-17-2010, 04:35 AM
unfortunatly I think the cost would be too high - rust is a big problem here too but you can pick up xjs for under 2500 all day

xj287
02-17-2010, 07:20 AM
no idea on cost at this point, but it would be somewhere around $1200. these would be geared tward owner that are REALY attatched to thier rigs and want to keep them for a life time. I know XJ's are cheep, I pass at least 5 for sale every day for under a grand, but thats not realy the point. This is realy more about building a jeep that would be sustainable for a life time. Nothing is totaly rust proof, but thier would be enough matierial thier to keep rust out to an absolute minimum.

rguignard
02-17-2010, 08:48 AM
something to think about is replacement floor boards that are thicker than stock. for us who have to replace them :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
02-17-2010, 09:03 AM
no idea on cost at this point, but it would be somewhere around $1200. these would be geared tward owner that are REALY attatched to thier rigs and want to keep them for a life time. I know XJ's are cheep, I pass at least 5 for sale every day for under a grand, but thats not realy the point. This is realy more about building a jeep that would be sustainable for a life time. Nothing is totaly rust proof, but thier would be enough matierial thier to keep rust out to an absolute minimum.

If some will spend $500 for bushwackers, $600 for a bumper, $1000 for internal cage, I can't help but believe that someone would come up with $1200 for a body.

Let me make sure I understand. This is the entire body, minus fenders, glass, doors, etc...?

GT MOTORSPORTS
02-17-2010, 09:21 AM
I am already in the devlopment of a tube chassis for the XJ's so im all for it. Mine is gear more for the hard core crawler and will use Coilovers in the front.

xj287
02-17-2010, 11:39 AM
this isn't a complete body, but rather floor, unitframe and rockers. Of course it would include the fire wall, rear wheel tubs and front inner fenders, but not the actual body shell. The origanal plan was to use stainless steal, but that would put the price tag near $5000. which defeats the purpose.

This is geared tward the off road crowd and would be availble with full suspention if ordered that way. But like I say, this isn't happening today......but hopefully with in the year.

flippedXJ
02-18-2010, 04:49 AM
should be intresting to see I cant wait to see your initial prototype

xj4life2
02-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Love to see the progress on this tried to swap to a solid frame once didn't work out to well but any new concept is a great one. Keep us posted !!!

xj287
02-18-2010, 11:25 AM
I'll be starting the computer modeling on it, hopefully over the weekend, with any luck have a full size mock-up by summer. My metal vender doesn't charge for custom cutting, so once I figure out exactly what I need and how much, I'll be able to more closely price everything out and build the jigs and fixtures for production.

I've already had 4 customer place orders (this isn't a new idea, something I've been toying with for about a year), and we're adding on to the shop to make room for the project.

BlueXJ
02-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Ship me one for testing and I will send you a detailed report.

xj287
02-18-2010, 12:38 PM
:) we might be able to arange that!:D

is that with or with out Dynatrac axles and atlas T/C?

Mudderoy
02-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Ship me one for testing and I will send you a detailed report.

BlueXJ is great that way, always willing to help someone out. :patriot:

alwaysxj
02-18-2010, 04:58 PM
so i guess im not getting :stars:this are you saying you are making new unibodys or just like replacement floor pans ect...... i don't see how you can replace the unibody if that is what you are saying woudn't you just buy a new jeep then?:confused::driving:

BlueXJ
02-18-2010, 05:23 PM
I have access to a set of D60s so don't need the axles but will be happy to try that Atlas.

xj287
02-18-2010, 06:49 PM
so i guess im not getting :stars:this are you saying you are making new unibodys or just like replacement floor pans ect...... i don't see how you can replace the unibody if that is what you are saying woudn't you just buy a new jeep then?:confused::driving:

If you can find a NEW XJ I'll happily take one!

:)Lets try to explain this another way....again...Think of this as floor pans with frame rails, fire wall, wheel wells and rockers welded to it. But with a few "new" features....Stronger frame rails that take YJ/TJ bumpers (because there are WAY more options), adjustable suspention mounts (that idea came to me on the way to the shop this morning). Basicly everything your XJ should have been designed with in the first place.

The whole idea is to turn the XJ into a "life time" vehicle, one that can be sustained indefinetly. It's already been done with the CJ and YJ, I'm sure the TJ's will be next...you can already buy new bodies and frames for them....why not the XJ too? Yah there is alot of welding involved to change a unit-frame, I know I've done it! I just HATE going out and buying a new vehicle, I HATE IT! I hate car payments! I hate car sales man! I'd be so happy to just drive the same vehicle...for a life time:driving:

Does that make any sence?:confused:

xj287
02-18-2010, 06:54 PM
I know sooner or later, my 22 year old, 230,000 mile XJ is gona rust out, then I've got to look for another one. I don't wana! I LOVE this one! I must I spend more time with it every day then I do my wife and kids.

4.3LXJ
02-18-2010, 07:40 PM
I have access to a set of D60s so don't need the axles but will be happy to try that Atlas.

I can tell you that it works real good:D:D

DETOURS
02-18-2010, 08:51 PM
$1200.........cant be done, nor should it be cuzz the fire wall does not fail, nor the unibody unless totally stressed.......but the floor suffers in New England and any place else salt is laid.

I happen to know where there 'IS' a new XJ, it's now in Connecticut.....not far from you, a 2001 with 24 miles on it........need more? She's shiney!

Do you post on NEOW?
I'd like to learn more, 11 gage aint much better than 14 from the factory, hows inner rust controlled without a zinc sulfate?

Like to hear how some of this is going to be formed up as well.......need more detail.

alwaysxj
02-18-2010, 11:14 PM
If you can find a NEW XJ I'll happily take one!

:)Lets try to explain this another way....again...Think of this as floor pans with frame rails, fire wall, wheel wells and rockers welded to it. But with a few "new" features....Stronger frame rails that take YJ/TJ bumpers (because there are WAY more options), adjustable suspention mounts (that idea came to me on the way to the shop this morning). Basicly everything your XJ should have been designed with in the first place.

The whole idea is to turn the XJ into a "life time" vehicle, one that can be sustained indefinetly. It's already been done with the CJ and YJ, I'm sure the TJ's will be next...you can already buy new bodies and frames for them....why not the XJ too? Yah there is alot of welding involved to change a unit-frame, I know I've done it! I just HATE going out and buying a new vehicle, I HATE IT! I hate car payments! I hate car sales man! I'd be so happy to just drive the same vehicle...for a life time:driving:

Does that make any sence?:confused:

that is what i was thinking but i guess i was just not under standing it all. don't worry i'm from utard so i'm a little slow. thanks for explaning it to me. that would work out good for the people in utard becuase we salt the roads alot so everything rusts here. And i was not saying buy a new xj just new too you.:patriot:

BlueXJ
02-18-2010, 11:49 PM
Don't be so rough on yourself. You are not the only resident of Utah. If it is so bad there then we have lots of room here in TEXAS.

muddeprived
02-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Is this gonna be a one piece weld on part or multiple pieces. I think to start off you should open a garage and install these on the customer's rigs. Once you see what the demand is like then you can make them to ship to customers.

It would be nice to have one piece super-thick boxed frame rails from the front to back, welded to the body like the uni-body is.

xj287
02-19-2010, 11:47 AM
This is going to be a one piece unit, I think assembling a complete rooling chassis from individual components would be a little beyond the average joe. We've been doing this sort or thing at my shop a piece at a time for several years, but we never tried to market is as a complete chassis.....its doable, its been done, but as has been mentioned before there is a few kinks that will need to be worked out. Our local customer base has been very open to the idea, so far the only oposition I've heard if from other shop owners that didn't think of it first...LOL

4.3LXJ
02-19-2010, 02:25 PM
I am with Spanky. The fire wall is not needed, as well as making the switch more complicated and time consuming.

KennyB
02-22-2010, 11:08 AM
I would really like to see the body attached to this proto type frame, with the body parts weded up to it.... It would be an interesting concept, and this unit would probably be super duper strong..... Interesting.

xj287
02-22-2010, 05:31 PM
I would really like to see the body attached to this proto type frame, with the body parts weded up to it.... It would be an interesting concept, and this unit would probably be super duper strong..... Interesting.

workin' on it!it will be awhile before I can dig the first recipient out of the snow bank behind the shop (i've been using it for trany and transfer case storgage for a couple years and the frame and floor boards are SHOT! By the first week of may, I should be able to drag it out front and start the process.

alwaysxj
02-22-2010, 05:38 PM
don't you just love the snow.

DETOURS
02-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Calculate shipping yet? :popcorn:

xj287
02-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Calculate shipping yet? :popcorn:

can't do that until we have the weight figured out...scince we mostly serve our local market anyway, realy not an issue.

DETOURS
02-27-2010, 08:52 PM
I'd say stay local on this item, you'll be better off.:thumbsup: