PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen a NP241OR swap into an XJ?

TheWeiss
02-15-2010, 03:32 PM
I read about this transfer case outlined below and thought it would be sweet to get one into my XJ.

"NP241OR: "Rock-Trac", 4:1 ratio low

Jeep introduced the NP241OR "Rock-Trac" transfer case in the Rubicon package in the TJ (and continued it in JK) Jeep Wrangler. The NP241OR has a 4:1 low gear ratio achieved through planetary reduction.

The NP241OR is only available with the Rubicon trim level in the Wrangler TJ and Wrangler JK.

The transfer case was originally designed to withstand the torque output of the Cummins Turbo Diesel, and is one of the strongest transfer cases factory installed in a Jeep."

I believe that I also read that this transfer case comes with a fixed Yoke. These have got to be tough to find in a junk yard but even if its expensive I'm thinking its got to be a bargan for the 4:1 low gear (teraflex sells a kit for $1200) to get this ratio the fixed yoke (SYE's run $250 and up)

Can this be done? Is there a major issue that would prevent such a glorious thing from being true? Any thoughts?

4.3LXJ
02-15-2010, 06:53 PM
I read an install article awhile back. It just bolts right in. You have to make some driveline changes though. One other thing is if I remember correctly they only have 23 spline inputs. That would rule out some earlier XJs without a tranny swap

xj4life2
02-15-2010, 07:54 PM
I read an install article awhile back. It just bolts right in. You have to make some driveline changes though. One other thing is if I remember correctly they only have 23 spline inputs. That would rule out some earlier XJs without a tranny swap

You are correct they are a 23spl. but..... a tranny swap and few hundred dollars later your done

W.O.R.P.Offroad
02-15-2010, 09:09 PM
not necc have to do a tranny swap could just swap the output shaft in the tranny.

xj287
02-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Dont forget that JK's using that transfer case use booted CV driveshafts, and TJ Rubi's use flanded rather then yoked shafts, so you'd have to swap the drive flanges out, or run custom drive shafts. dont forget about the vehicle speed sensor, the 231 in the XJ's uses a gear drive, the 241OR (actualy marked 241J on the case) uses a magnetic pick-up similar to a crank sensor. They are expesive and almost imposible to find used though I use www.car-part.com as the primary locator service for both of my shops. It's almost not worth the hassle with a used on scince new and reman T/C from MOPAR realy arn't that much more.

alwaysxj
02-25-2010, 05:00 PM
hey i just seen this post if you are still looking for a tcase.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1025693