PDA

View Full Version : Long Arm upgrade kits - Advice

TheWeiss
02-06-2010, 03:13 PM
In another thread I'm discussing options for a custom built lift. I'm thinking that it will end up being larger than 6 inches so long arms seem to be the way to go. As this is intended to be a piece by piece lift and not fully from a preset lift kit I am looking for places to buy long arm upgrades. I know that Rusty's and Rough Country both sell long arm upgrade kits that are intended for Jeeps that are already lifted. This is what I'm looking for. I want something with a new cross member because I am definately not trying to weld to the unibody. Something with a built in skid plates or other gooodies included would be worth considering as well. Does anyone have any experiences, horror stories or very pleased friends that have used these kits? As always, everyone's 2 cents is appreciated. Thanks!

4.3LXJ
02-06-2010, 03:58 PM
You can buy the Skyjacker hardware separately also. Another issue you will need to address in a lift that high is steering. Stock steering cannot accommodate a lift that high.

BlueXJ
02-06-2010, 04:31 PM
You also need a SYE kit to reduce or eliminate vibrations.

GT MOTORSPORTS
02-07-2010, 12:34 AM
And shackles and pinion wedges to correct the pinion angle on the rear axle...

Rubicon express offers a real decent long arm kit that consits of a x member with a skid plate.Long arms attach to the skid. They offer there kits piece by piece also. I have installed there long are kits on a few customers/friends TJ's before. But the front suspension uses basically the same front arms. There kits are excellent!!