View Full Version : lockers?

wilddutchman
02-01-2010, 03:35 PM
i have been wanting lockers and im wondering what one every one would put in what brand/what end first.? yes i know there are a lot of threads about this. i have searched and havent really found what im lookin for yet. so any input would be great thanks a bunch.

Mudderoy
02-01-2010, 03:47 PM
i have been wanting lockers and im wondering what one every one would put in what brand/what end first.? yes i know there are a lot of threads about this. i have searched and havent really found what im lookin for yet. so any input would be great thanks a bunch.

Hey don't worry about the other threads...

I want the ARB air lockers. I like the OX lockers but I'm not sure where I'd put two levers! I like the idea of the simple electric switches, although I think the OX would be the way to go if you wanted to be DAMN sure your locker was engaged and stayed engaged.

Hopefully I'll do both front and rear lockers at the same time, but failing that I'm going with the rear locker first. Just makes sense to me since that's where most of the power and strength is. Dunno.

rguignard
02-01-2010, 03:58 PM
i was running a lockrite in the rear but i took it out and welded it up so im still locked :D im running a 35 and 31s i hear not to lock up the 30 but i dont know. mudderoy can tell you how mine did before the lift :smiley-laughing021:

x2elite
02-01-2010, 04:14 PM
I was running a Quick Lock on my front Dana 30, and I now have the same locker in my front Dana 44. My current 29 spline 8.25 has a trac lock limited slip, but I am swapping to a Limited Slip 8.8 this weekend hopefully.

Mudderoy
02-01-2010, 04:17 PM
i was running a lockrite in the rear but i took it out and welded it up so im still locked :D im running a 35 and 31s i hear not to lock up the 30 but i dont know. mudderoy can tell you how mine did before the lift :smiley-laughing021:

Sounded like hell, but climbed like a beast. :smiley-laughing021:

x2elite
02-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Aussie style lockers are cheaper, and easier to install. I wheel the hell out of mine, and it has never failed me once. Since mine is a trail only I will be replacing the LSD in my 8.8 with a spool as soon as I round up the cash. Honestly I would go with an Aussie front and rear if it were me.

Mudderoy
02-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Aussie style lockers are cheaper, and easier to install. I wheel the hell out of mine, and it has never failed me once. Since mine is a trail only I will be replacing the LSD in my 8.8 with a spool as soon as I round up the cash. Honestly I would go with an Aussie front and rear if it were me.

May not be the best way to go if the XJ has a NP242 transfer case.

x2elite
02-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Yeah I didn't think about that pesky 242 option. If you have a 242 you are pretty much limited to a selectable locker up front.

may pop
02-01-2010, 05:01 PM
I had a powertrax in a 5 speed YJ. I did not like it one little bit! It popped and clanked. It would help change with the gas pedal.Now before that it was lincoln locked and that was predictable and quiet. The only thing that I didnt like was rolling backward out of the driveway it would bind and stop. It wouldnt let the Jeep roll backward around a curve.Offroad it was UNSTOPABLE.
Ron

4.3LXJ
02-01-2010, 06:31 PM
One issue is whether or not this is a daily driver and the other is where it is being driven. welding spyder gears and using spools works well on trails, but not on icy roads and going around corners. The ultimate locker for a daily driver and or snow and ice is a selectable locker. There are a couple of options available. Personally I am going with ARBs to cover all the situations.

rguignard
02-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Sounded like hell, but climbed like a beast. :smiley-laughing021:

yes it did :cool: thats why its out of there :D its a dd and im ok with the draging around the corner. btw no ice here :thumbsup:

wilddutchman
02-01-2010, 09:32 PM
thanks for all the imput guys i think im gonna save up and get an aussie for the rear first and then maybe one for the front thanks again

x2elite
02-01-2010, 09:58 PM
I'd do the front first.... for offroading the front is mo-betta in my opinion.

UKJeepThang
02-02-2010, 03:02 AM
If you can afford them go for ARB air lockers. I've got them installed front and rear and they work like a dream. Nice and easy to use as well. But they ain't cheap (well not in the UK there not!!)

x2elite
02-02-2010, 08:44 AM
If you can afford them go for ARB air lockers. I've got them installed front and rear and they work like a dream. Nice and easy to use as well. But they ain't cheap (well not in the UK there not!!)

Aren't cheap here either!!! :D

Mudderoy
02-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Like $850 each and another $250 for the compressor.

rguignard
02-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Aren't cheap here either!!! :D

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

xjgilley
03-24-2010, 02:32 AM
i am welded rear with a lockrite in the front i was snapping u joints in the front untill i put a new spring rebuild kit in it and i changed to 99 up shafts and i have not had a issue with them due to the larger u joint i would suggest the Aussie locker tho it has a lighter spring rate and un lockes easier for road driving i have a friend that has a Aussie in the front of his that i have drove many times and i like the way it preforms better

zr2toxj
03-24-2010, 05:19 AM
You should also consider that the ARB's, OX's, etc replace the full carrier where 'lunchbox' lockers like the Aussie don't. That makes a big difference in strength. I also have ARB's F&R. Great set up if you can afford it.

COSXJFAN
03-25-2010, 12:25 PM
I have broken two lunch box lockers, and will never buy another one. Currently, I have a Detroit Locker in the front, and full spool in the rear. With the spool I scrub the tires a lot driving in town, but it is far easier to deal with than the racket that was coming from the Lock Rite I had back there!! Lock Rite, Aussie, Quick Lock, they are all the same, IMHO!

W.O.R.P.Offroad
03-26-2010, 11:31 PM
i had a welded d35 for the longest time. i broke one shaft once i jumped upto 35's. i then swapped out to a 8.8 x2elite was goin to put in his. its a lsd. i would personally do a front first. but the welded 35 did help alot over open/open. if your goin to opt to spend the money i would recommend a full case locker over a spider replacement. im bout to go with a ox upfront and when i get the cash ill do a ox in the rear too. i want to know im locked and goin to stay lock when i pull the lever. no fragile lines or hoses with it. it is aircraft cable operated.

Jesse-James
03-27-2010, 08:15 AM
Keep in mind about the OX's w/cable, remember how much that same type of cable was constantly out of adjustment on your pedal bikes when you were a kid? They use the same setup.

As far as my preference, I like to keep things simple. Detroit is the way to go IMHO, at least in the rear. I am looking at an Auburn Ected for the front.

And I will never run a lunchbox in my rig. They are unpredictable on the street and weak on the trail.

Xtreme XJ
05-04-2010, 12:54 AM
Being a few years older now I have to admit that I'd rather have a selectable locker... having said that I also have to say I don't have selectables... been running a Power Traxx in the rear for 10 yrs. and a front Aussie for 2 yrs.
I run hubs in the front and when locked in the forearms & steering are hurting... reverse is often used to negotiate tight turns.
I'm easy on equip. so the "lunchboxes" have served me well... I've always been a fan of a full case Detroit, but as previously mentioned age makes us more patient and willing to save for a selectable... I love my ability to point & shoot, but there are trade offs.
As proven as the ARB is I'm not 100% ready to sign off... I always thought the OX would be the coolest, but a friend bought a ZJ with a pair and I'm not so sure the full length cable is the best choice... maybe the electrical OX option might be the hot ticket... then Auburn entered with the E-TED... which acts like a L/S (:thumbdown:) when disengaged, but locked for the most part when engaged... IF I were to have a L/S the E-TED might be it... only cause I could lock it... moderate H.P. & 33s to maybe 35s seem to be the ceiling for these... then there's the Eaton E-locker... not a L/S and from everything I've been able to find out it's a bit stronger...
The flexability & ability to run open on pavement will be my choice from now on... ALL the above have +/- and all will make your rig a weapon off road.
I'd suggest reading every forum out there... check with the manuf. & see what they feel are their strong points...
I've always went with the rear install first...

Curt

alwaysxj
05-04-2010, 11:33 AM
i too have alway had a locker in the rear first i just got a new jeep with a detroit and man is it soo nice to drive.
my last jeep was welded and it worked great and it was free but it sucked to dd it.
go with a detroit

LostSoul
05-07-2010, 12:51 AM
I have a Detroit Locker in the rear and arb up front. I dont mind the rear Detroit Locker. When I can afford it I will put a ARB in. I have had many friends blow up lunch box lockers I would stay away from them.

W.O.R.P.Offroad
05-07-2010, 04:49 PM
give me a few months and ill give you my opinion on the detroits. im gettin a set of axles that have detroit locker rear and detroit true trac front.

may pop
05-08-2010, 10:07 AM
I have a True-Trac in the front of my 93 XJ and it is completely seamless. Cant tell its there at all. Though it is better than a lsd its not a locker.
Ron

JRW7072009
05-08-2010, 03:18 PM
I can say that I did not want a ARB I wanted a Detroit or a set of Ox lockers, I did the ARB at the last minute cause the Detroit only come in 33 spline and I already had the 35 spline shafts.

I have to say I am very happy with the ARB it works great, its super nice to be able to unlock and lock it up as I wish.

TeXJ
06-14-2010, 03:16 PM
im running 33s, with a d30 and 8.25 29splined. I have one locker, the power trax no-slip in the rear. I love it! Its quite and get the job done.

XJ4IVY has an aussie or ox, cant remember which in the front of his, and though his makes a lil more noise, it still does fine for him.

cantab27
12-28-2010, 11:15 PM
bump bump ,,,,,,, this may be my next mod ...... we don't get half the ones you do ... arb ,,, yes please or the Aussie locker......it saying that Chinese ones out now,,air operated same as arb ...there winches have come a long way so maybe mmmmmmmm

bluedragon436
12-28-2010, 11:28 PM
im running 33s, with a d30 and 8.25 29splined. I have one locker, the power trax no-slip in the rear. I love it! Its quite and get the job done.

XJ4IVY has an aussie or ox, cant remember which in the front of his, and though his makes a lil more noise, it still does fine for him.

XJ4IV has a Lock-right in his front diff.., cause I had been talking to him about it, when I was looking at lockers and getting an idea of what I wanted... Said he was very pleased with it.

modestmar00xj
12-28-2010, 11:34 PM
hmm very hard choice! seems like everyone made good points!? but its very clear that it just depends on how your going to wheel! i think the ARB, OX, and the Detroit lockers are simply Amazing! ( I mean come on, who wouldent like to be in total control with the ARB and OX) but i dont plan on getting rock crawing crazy and for the money, i dont think lunchbox lockers are a bad choice.

Oh and with all the reasearch i've done, it seens like the lunchbox locker are all the same UNLESS someone thinks differently. please let me know!

cantab27
12-28-2010, 11:45 PM
may be a stupid question but newb when it comes to lockers..does fitting any kind of locker help strength the Dana 30 or 35s.....

Mudderoy
12-29-2010, 08:56 AM
may be a stupid question but newb when it comes to lockers..does fitting any kind of locker help strength the Dana 30 or 35s.....

I'd like to know this too. My understand is that it makes it MORE likely that you'll break something on the axle because of the additional load. Well I guess that would be double the load since the DANA 30 has open diffs normally.

bluedragon436
12-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Hey offroading makes it more likely you will break something too... but you still do that... LOL... now with a locker you can just be more capable and have that much more fun up to the break...

OrangeXJ
12-29-2010, 09:56 AM
I have a ECTED locker on the front and love it. Aflip of a switch and I'm locked.

zr2toxj
12-29-2010, 10:19 AM

Not a stupid question at all. Like I said in one of my posts, and others have pointed out, the lunch box style lockers (Aussies, trutrac, etc.) all use the stock carrier, which is weaker than the full lockers like Detroit, ARB, OX, etc.

Stock carrier:

http://pictures.myxj.net/yukongears/DSC00068.JPG

ARB:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=501580&stc=1&d=1266372013

Detroit:

http://broncograveyard.com/images/catalog/D30DETROIT.JPG

So it makes them stronger at the dif itself, so the next weakest point will break, which is probably a stock axle ujoint or shaft.

4.3LXJ
12-29-2010, 11:46 AM

Wayne and Tony

The answer is no. The inherent weakness of a D35 is the housing. It flexes when high torque is placed on it and puts too much pressure on the axle. As far as you two are concerned, the type of mudding you do probably won't be a problem with a locker in a D35. Rocks would be another story. Between selectable and automatic, the automatic puts a little less strain on the differential assembly because one wheel can free wheel a little like it would when cornering. With a selectable it is like having a welded rear end. One of the keys to using lockers in these diffs is tire size. If in rocks, just don't go over 31" for D35 and 33" for the D30. Mud however is much more forgiving.

This comment applies to the overall strength of the whole axle assembly. The lockers themselves are strong. It is the axle shafts that generally fail.

cantab27
12-29-2010, 11:55 AM
so really its all down to the right boot ....this is good info .... mates tj is locked arb ,,, he has done a couple of rear axles..... has a big right boot but ,,, like most things ,, it comes down to driving styles ?????

4.3LXJ
12-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Yes, that is part of it, the rest is tire size. You can break a D35 with a lead foot. With or without that locker.

teamwestoutdoors
12-29-2010, 12:45 PM
I have Lock Right in both my D30 and D35 running 33's. Last weekend I got into some very heavy Blue slate clay that stuck to my tires like glue. With the increased tire weight and ever growing tire diameter from the mud the front driver side coupler in the my locker keep slipping and wouldn't lock up. Leaving me essentially with three wheel drive. So, now I need to replace it because the teeth have to much wear on them to stay locked. In doing some research I discovered that different tire diameters including tire pressure on the same axle is a big problem with the "lunch box" lockers.

Mudderoy
12-29-2010, 12:48 PM
I have Lock Right in both my D30 and D35 running 33's. Last weekend I got into some very heavy Blue slate clay that stuck to my tires like glue. With the increased tire weight and ever growing tire diameter from the mud the front driver side coupler in the my locker keep slipping and wouldn't lock up. Leaving me essentially with three wheel drive. So, now I need to replace it because the teeth have to much wear on them to stay locked. In doing some research I discovered that different tire diameters including tire pressure on the same axle is a big problem with the "lunch box" lockers.

I've read so many posts about how crappy the D35 is, I love hearing from people that have them, use them off road and they keep going and going.

PolarXJ
12-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Like $850 each and another $250 for the compressor.

Thats why I like the electric lockers...You don't need to buy anything else to make them work. No o-ring to go out either (though I've heard ARB changed something that makes them last longer).

Mudderoy
12-29-2010, 01:23 PM
Thats why I like the electric lockers...You don't need to buy anything else to make them work. No o-ring to go out either (though I've heard ARB changed something that makes them last longer).

Doesn't the electric locker have clutches that wear out?

teamwestoutdoors
12-29-2010, 01:24 PM
I've read so many posts about how crappy the D35 is, I love hearing from people that have them, use them off road and they keep going and going.

I have busted only one axle and that was in my D30. I have never had a lick of problem with my D35 (knock on wood). I have three buddies with locked D35's as well running 33's and they have not broken anything (knock on wood for them). I am a firm believer in driving style. I like to think of myself and my friends as more strategic off roaders rather then the run and gun style I see on trails. So, I think that helps a lot too.

Mudderoy
12-29-2010, 01:26 PM
I have busted only one axle and that was in my D30. I have never had a lick of problem with my D35 (knock on wood). I have three buddies with locked D35's as well running 33's and they have not broken anything (knon on wood for them). I am a firm believer in driving style. I like to think of myself and my friends as more strategic off roaders rather then the run and gun style I see on trails. So, I think that helps a lot too.

This is good to know. I try to push mine just as far as it needs to make it over/through the obstacle. Then if that doesn't work, I just winch it.

PolarXJ
12-29-2010, 01:49 PM

The Auburn ECTED does have the clutches, because its a limited slip when its not engaged.

PolarXJ
12-29-2010, 01:55 PM
I have busted only one axle and that was in my D30. I have never had a lick of problem with my D35 (knock on wood). I have three buddies with locked D35's as well running 33's and they have not broken anything (knock on wood for them). I am a firm believer in driving style. I like to think of myself and my friends as more strategic off roaders rather then the run and gun style I see on trails. So, I think that helps a lot too.

Yeah definitely knock on wood :D I had 33's and put it through some knarely stuff and never broke anything...just wore out the ujoints prematurely. I've got 35's now, I've put it through some tough stuff but not as though as the 33's...yet :cool: My brother has always had 35's and hasn't broken anything yet either. With the 760 ujoint ( which is same as the d44) the d30 is a very capable axle.

4.3LXJ
12-29-2010, 02:08 PM

Yes, they have redesigned the seals to be a double one piece seal. Far superior to O rings. Also the seals last longer if you run less air pressure than the recommended 100# That much makes them lock instantly, but takes the seals out quickly.

PolarXJ
12-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Thats good to know.. thanks for the info. I'll pass that onto my brother who as the arbs in his rig.

OrangeXJ
12-29-2010, 03:06 PM

The Auburn ECTED MAX locker I have has a 12,000 mile warranty and an exchange program where when it needs rebuilding you send it in with I think 200 bucks and they give you a new one. It's the only one on the market that has limited slip and full lock. I like it so much I'm going to get one for the rear.

Mudderoy
12-30-2010, 03:02 AM
The Auburn ECTED MAX locker I have has a 12,000 mile warranty and an exchange program where when it needs rebuilding you send it in with I think 200 bucks and they give you a new one. It's the only one on the market that has limited slip and full lock. I like it so much I'm going to get one for the rear.

Well I may have another look at it after you've had yours a while. I did like the idea of it, I just didn't like the clutches.

TeXJ
12-30-2010, 10:51 AM
I still love my Powertrax no-slip!

modestmar00xj
12-30-2010, 11:20 AM
yeah i just took a look at the ECTED MAX locker its pritty nice. But 'MAN" its expensive!

OrangeXJ
12-30-2010, 12:22 PM
yeah i just took a look at the ECTED MAX locker its pritty nice. But 'MAN" its expensive!

They are less than OX

cantab27
12-30-2010, 02:17 PM
http://www.4x4review.com/Reviews/ProductReviews/Drivetrain/AllNewOxLocker/tabid/258/Default.aspx

if y'all find more links on any kind of locker throw em up please ...i do like these, might need a second job but

OrangeXJ
12-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Here you go

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-differential-lockers/auburn-gear-ected.htm

PolarXJ
12-30-2010, 04:32 PM

I've got one in my d30, I got it when they first came out. Paid $500 for it. They have gain some popularity and a higher price tag with it. :cool:

oderdene
12-30-2010, 08:42 PM
I received Aussie for my D35, still new in garage :thumbsup:. Will install when weather becomes bit warmer (-13F) and will not go over 31"s

XJ4IV
01-01-2011, 12:00 AM
Yeah I didn't think about that pesky 242 option. If you have a 242 you are pretty much limited to a selectable locker up front.

NOT TRUE!!! you can install whatever locker you want however teh USE of the full time all wheel drive option is voided out since your steering is all crazy... SERIOUS torque steer with front locker engaged on pavement!!! I had to drive 60 miles home one night cause my rear u joint went out let me tell you YES it can be done but NO it aint fun!

HA HA HA first post of 2011... well central time that is

FunkSkunk
01-02-2011, 01:49 PM
In my 8.8 I have a min-spool and have had no problems with it at all. Getting used to it on road was pretty easy and the chirping around the corners isn't that bad either. Just make sure to have the tires aired up on the road and you'll be fine.

LizardRunner
01-05-2011, 02:43 PM
I am planning on going the Richmond way, lockright for the rear and powertrax for the front. if they don't work out I'll go detroit most likely. I was planning on a front LSD but talked with the Engineers at Richmond and have changed my mind.

I looked into the ARB units but I don't really want the expense and airline. Simple is better to this old racer mind.

modestmar00xj
01-27-2011, 10:44 PM
I've got one in my d30, I got it when they first came out. Paid $500 for it. They have gain some popularity and a higher price tag with it. :cool:

yeah the more research i do im starting to really like the E-locker! i think i want one.