PDA

View Full Version : Calling ALL computer geeks!!!

firehawk
01-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Help ME!!!!:mad0090:

Last night I apparently got infected with a virus. "FakeAlert.KSa Anyone else had this problem? Suddenly I was getting pop up messages about being infected with a trojan, etc... bla bla bla. There was a red dot with an X in it on the taskbar also. The pic I had on the desktop was gone and the screen was blue. I went to dispaly in the control panel and found I could not change anything. I couldn't even fire up System Restore, as it was saying it had been corupted. What a pain in the D**K!!!

I was up till 1:00am trying to get rid of this. Finally went to McAfee"s website today and found a discussion about this. They didn't say where/how it gets into your system, but they have developed a program to get rid of it....sort of. It is one of their stinger programs especially for these fake alert trojans. It appears to have got rid of 3 of the trojans, but one C:\WINDOWS\system32\smss32.exe "cannot be repaired". The pop up's are gone, but the blue screen is still there, and I cannot change any display settings. Should I try to reboot to see if IT will go away?

This really pi**es me off since I have anti virus, and a firewall software on my computer. I had to deal several years ago with a Sober worm. I spent a WHOLE weekend dealing with that one!:mad0090:

firehawk
01-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Ok, I did it now!:smiley-scared002:

I rebooted my desktop, and now it won't let me log onto Windows. I type in my password, and it logs me off.:mad0090::mad0090:

Thank God I bought this used laptop!!!:thumbsup:

People that come up with this crap should be taken outside and shot!:thumbsup:

BlueXJ
01-27-2010, 07:51 PM
I wouldn't even drag them outrside! Shoot them where you find them.

Mudderoy
01-27-2010, 10:00 PM
This happened to my brother in-laws computer. The best thing (shortest) to do now is do a reload of Windows. You do it like a normal installation but instead of a new installation you select REPAIR.

What it does is reload the operating system files leaving the registery intact. All your program files, etc... stay the same. You'll need to do all the Windows updates that came after your CD was released. My WinXP Pro is a Service Pack 2 CD so I have to download and install about 80mb worth of updates.

You may be able to boot up under safe mode to backup all your files before doing the recover.

I would do a search on Google and review the steps of a recover prior to doing it. There are two things that you can do when you boot off the Windows CD that say recover. The one you want is the one that you can select instead of a NEW INSTALL.

Even after you get Windows reloaded you'll need to rid yourself of the pesky malware. Get MALWAREBYTES (free) and run it after reloading Windows.