PDA

View Full Version : Xtreme 4x4 - MPG series...

Mudderoy
01-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Did anyone else catch Xtreme 4x4 this past weekend on Spike TV? They had a brief segment about improving the gas mileage of a Dodge RAM pickup. They are going to lift it, put bigger tires, after they get it from 8 mpg to 20 mpg.

The first thing they did was replace the mechanical fan with a electric.

I'll be watching this series closely. :patriot:

4.3LXJ
01-25-2010, 04:20 PM
I don't get any channels now, Haven't converted to digital yet. That will be interesting to see how they do that and whether or not it is 50 state legal.

BlueXJ
01-25-2010, 05:30 PM
If it gets past the C.A.R.B. Nazis in California it will be 50 state legal.

flippedXJ
01-25-2010, 06:37 PM
ya I saw that as well and will be very curious on that one

BlueXJ
01-25-2010, 06:39 PM
My bet is they never reach close to 20 MPG.

Mudderoy
01-25-2010, 07:29 PM
My bet is they never reach close to 20 MPG.

I was a little surprised by that statement as well, but they did say they were going to get it to 20 then start building it up.

4.3LXJ
01-25-2010, 10:04 PM
I was a little surprised by that statement as well, but they did say they were going to get it to 20 then start building it up.

Then it will go back down to 8 mpg

BlueXJ
01-26-2010, 12:49 AM
Then it will go back down to 8 mpg

Or lower!! I want to see how much money that they invest to get anywhere near 20MPG.:shocker::eek::shocker:

Mudderoy
04-21-2010, 03:47 PM
lol the newest tip was to remove anything that isn't bolted down, oh and if it is a spare tire carrier, remove that and the spare tire. I don't know about these mpg tips...

alwaysxj
04-21-2010, 04:18 PM
when i had my 94 xj i was getting around 16 ish with just stock bumpers. then i put a rear bumper from custom4x4 with the tire carrier and it dropped down to about 10.

i seen the one that they had the black dodge that they took out everything in the bed and in the cab that they did not need. like trash tools spaire tire ect. and they weighted it and it was like 450 pounds or something like that. then they said they were going to drive it around to see what it did on gas. is that the one you are talking about.

Mudderoy
04-21-2010, 07:51 PM
when i had my 94 xj i was getting around 16 ish with just stock bumpers. then i put a rear bumper from custom4x4 with the tire carrier and it dropped down to about 10.

i seen the one that they had the black dodge that they took out everything in the bed and in the cab that they did not need. like trash tools spaire tire ect. and they weighted it and it was like 450 pounds or something like that. then they said they were going to drive it around to see what it did on gas. is that the one you are talking about.

Sounds like it.

Voldemort
04-22-2010, 12:46 AM
Yea did you see how much BS he pulled out of the back of that thing HAHAHAH! That show is not the same with out Jessi Combs!! And the reason to skip Dana 44's
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o80/allen5572/DANA60MOTIVATION.jpg

JRW7072009
04-22-2010, 11:36 PM
I went from 9mpg to 15.75mpg from switching out from 3.55s to 4.88s. I also got rid of my mech fan and replaced it with a electric fan but this was a while ago, but I did notice a bit of a power gain from it.

Mudderoy
04-23-2010, 03:36 AM
I went from 9mpg to 15.75mpg from switching out from 3.55s to 4.88s. I also got rid of my mech fan and replaced it with a electric fan but this was a while ago, but I did notice a bit of a power gain from it.

Thanks, I could accept 16 mpg pretty easy, but my 12ish to 13ish is just too low.

alwaysxj
04-23-2010, 10:59 AM
in my old jeep i was getting like 8 and now in the new jeep i get about 13 ish looks like i need some gears.
i have a k&n cold air intake and it seems to help out alot.

Mudderoy
08-02-2010, 12:30 PM
So Powerblock finally had a new episode of Xtreme 4x4 this weekend. Of particular interest was their improve the MPG segment at the end of the episode.

If memory serves correctly here's what they've done.

1) Electric fan +1.1 mpg
2) Removed 1,000 lbs of crap. +0.9 mpg
3) Replaced axles with Dana 60 front and rear 4.10 gears +2.0 mpg

So they've improved the MPG on Ian's Dodge truck by 4.0 mpg! I think that make it a 12 mpg truck now.

The axle gearing put the truck back to stock gearing as it compensated for the larger diameter tires. The Dana 60 wasn't important for the MPG improvement, it was simply done to make the truck more off road worthy.

The most recent modification has been to add a on dash vacuum gauge. This is to show you how much strain the engine is in and help YOU control that part that connects to the skinny petal, namely your foot. The higher the vacuum the less air and fuel that is being sucked in and burned by your engine.

4.3LXJ
08-02-2010, 01:13 PM
So Powerblock finally had a new episode of Xtreme 4x4 this weekend. Of particular interest was their improve the MPG segment at the end of the episode.

If memory serves correctly here's what they've done.

1) Electric fan +1.1 mpg
2) Removed 1,000 lbs of crap. +0.9 mpg
3) Replaced axles with Dana 60 front and rear 4.10 gears +2.0 mpg

So they've improved the MPG on Ian's Dodge truck by 4.0 mpg! I think that make it a 12 mpg truck now.

The axle gearing put the truck back to stock gearing as it compensated for the larger diameter tires. The Dana 60 wasn't important for the MPG improvement, it was simply done to make the truck more off road worthy.

The most recent modification has been to add a on dash vacuum gauge. This is to show you how much strain the engine is in and help YOU control that part that connects to the skinny petal, namely your foot. The higher the vacuum the less air and fuel that is being sucked in and burned by your engine.

Yeah :D The gauge follows the skinny pedal. It gets worse with a turbo :rolleyes:

TeXJ
08-02-2010, 06:34 PM
You just have to not do jack rabbit take offs and start slowing down sooner when coming up to lights/stop signs.

I'm getting my ears perked up on ditching my mechanical fan though.

Mudderoy
08-02-2010, 08:50 PM
You just have to not do jack rabbit take offs and start slowing down sooner when coming up to lights/stop signs.

Yeah I'm doing that next.

XJ4IV
08-04-2010, 08:58 PM

As am I ... I SAW that a late 90s model taurus... the REALLY ugly cockroach looking one with the round rear window has a KILLER electric fan... I think im doing that next as well... just need to find one at the JY

TeXJ
08-05-2010, 06:48 PM
As am I ... I SAW that a late 90s model taurus... the REALLY ugly cockroach looking one with the round rear window has a KILLER electric fan... I think im doing that next as well... just need to find one at the JY

The Taurus SHO i hear have good fans, not sure what years though.

Mudderoy
08-05-2010, 08:26 PM

I think they all had fans.

XJ Rat
08-13-2010, 07:24 PM
lol the newest tip was to remove anything that isn't bolted down, oh and if it is a spare tire carrier, remove that and the spare tire. I don't know about these mpg tips...

Hey Tony;
I would bet you have at least 1500 pounds extra on your XJ + the lift did nothing for aerodynamics...just a thought.

Mudderoy
08-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Hey Tony;
I would bet you have at least 1500 pounds extra on your XJ + the lift did nothing for aerodynamics...just a thought.

My gas mileage has steadily increased over the last 3 years. When I started measuring gas mileage I didn't have custom bumpers and a 32" spare tire. I did have the lift and the larger tires. Additional weight on the brick doesn't seem to make any difference, at least not according to my readings. I know that is counter intuitive, but lord knows I haven't eased up on the throttle during that time! :thumbsup:

drakan1908
08-14-2010, 09:04 AM

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2912&highlight=electric+fan+swap

This is for a ZJ but I'm sure it would apply to a XJ also.

Mudderoy
09-24-2010, 01:26 PM
The most recent NEW episode of "Xtreme 4x4" Ian change out the wheel bearing assembly on his Dodge pickup for manual hubs. He believes this will save gas because the front axle and will not be turned with the hubs unlocked.

I have read time and time again that there is NO gas mileage difference on the XJ with manual locking hubs.

Another reason given for the manual hubs was the replacement wheel bearing assemblies were stronger and would handle the oversized tires much better and longer than the OEM versions.

4.3LXJ
09-24-2010, 05:27 PM
I will agree with the strength issue. Supposedly old school milage improvement was 1-2 mpg. But that was without axle disconnects and chain drive tcases

TeXJ
09-24-2010, 06:56 PM
i would think the strength gain would be more of why he did it. Cause he did say he was doing it for strength and MPG. But he did think he could get some gain in MPG...so... oh and the coin he put in on it would out weigh the cost of fuel he would have saved lol

brandonlp
09-29-2010, 09:57 AM
xj mileage improvement, use neon injectors...ive picked up about 2mpg's

Mudderoy
09-29-2010, 10:04 AM
xj mileage improvement, use neon injectors...ive picked up about 2mpg's

Do you have more specifics? Maybe year of the Neon injectors you used?

brandonlp
09-29-2010, 10:25 AM
better yet ive got the part number,

injector number is 280 155 703, used in 95-98 2.0l and 2.4l dodge neon's, stratus, and breeze cars, not its has to have that part number other wise it will not work, may take some looking and searching, you can mix the injectors from the 2.0 and the 2.4 there is no difference. they flow 23lb hr at 49 psi, which all 96+ have a 49 psi fuel system, the benefit is the 4 pintle holes which atomize the fuel better than the single pintle that jeeps come with, my highway milage went from 14-15 to 16-17 i can keep a constant speed now on the highway without dropping out of over drive, im on 33's with 3:55 gearings that kind of improvement on stock gearing is great.

if your jeep is 95 and older these wont work, as they are to big in still on the hunt for an ev6 style injector for the 95 and older, for those who dont know the difference in the injectors heres a good link.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92236

Mudderoy
09-29-2010, 11:15 AM
better yet ive got the part number,

injector number is 280 155 703, used in 95-98 2.0l and 2.4l dodge neon's, stratus, and breeze cars, not its has to have that part number other wise it will not work, may take some looking and searching, you can mix the injectors from the 2.0 and the 2.4 there is no difference. they flow 23lb hr at 49 psi, which all 96+ have a 49 psi fuel system, the benefit is the 4 pintle holes which atomize the fuel better than the single pintle that jeeps come with, my highway milage went from 14-15 to 16-17 i can keep a constant speed now on the highway without dropping out of over drive, im on 33's with 3:55 gearings that kind of improvement on stock gearing is great.

if your jeep is 95 and older these wont work, as they are to big in still on the hunt for an ev6 style injector for the 95 and older, for those who dont know the difference in the injectors heres a good link.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92236

Yep I put Ford EV6 in mine. They were from a 2009 Mustang, and had about 20 miles on them. No change in performance or gas mileage for me. I'm running 4.56 gears though.

brandonlp
09-29-2010, 11:35 AM
can you get the part number off the side of them for me. id like to see its specs ive got a list of almost every bosch injector made.

Mudderoy
09-29-2010, 12:42 PM
can you get the part number off the side of them for me. id like to see its specs ive got a list of almost every bosch injector made.

If you were talking to me you can see all the information here... :link: (http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3428)