PDA

View Full Version : 4.5 RC lift, what else do i need

hoerter2158
01-24-2010, 04:04 PM
So i bought the Rough Country 4.5 in lift kit with AAL. This is whats all included in the kit. What else is missing/ Needed. Also bought a new steering stabilizer

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product-information.asp?number=RC-623H

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/images/RC-623H.jpg

Thanks guys

Mudderoy
01-24-2010, 04:14 PM
This appears to be the same kit I purchased a couple of years ago. You need to be sure that you got the right kit for the rear axle that you have as the "U" bolts are larger for the Chry 8.25.

The kit is complete. Now I have factory skids. I had to buy some more spacers from Rough Country to drop the transfer case skid, but most XJs don't have the factory skids.

I would recommend replacing those AAL as soon as possible, and certainly before you do any serious off road driving. I replaced mine with the 4.5" leafs from RC. The neat thing is that using the shackles that come with your kit and the 4.5" leaves you have a 5.5" or 6.5" rear lift!

Be sure and post up some before and after pictures of your rig! :camera: :popcorn:

Cobrajay
01-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Deff try and get rid of the AAL. Get all new ones. I'd get an adjustable tracbar, SYE MIGHT be needed so just hold off on that, quick discos, and bump stops.

hoerter2158
01-30-2010, 12:32 AM
I didnt install the t-case drop yet. Will the solve the vibration problems?

Mudderoy
01-30-2010, 12:35 AM
I didnt install the t-case drop yet. Will the solve the vibration problems?

That is the only reason for the transfer case drop, to fix vibrations. I can't say it will fix the vibrations, but it's an easy install to find out. :thumbsup:

hoerter2158
01-30-2010, 12:40 AM
Well it wont let me upload the pics. Its saying there too big even tho i made them way small.

hoerter2158
01-30-2010, 12:56 AM
how easy is it? Just take the studs out and put the spacers in and tighten down?

Mudderoy
01-30-2010, 01:38 AM
Well it wont let me upload the pics. Its saying there too big even tho i made them way small.

We have a very limited amount of space for pictures. You've run out of your allocated space. I don't like the error message very much. It leads you to believe your picture is to big, when it should really tell you that you are out of space.

Open an account with photobucket.com, and upload your pictures there. Then get the link to your picture and put them in your post on xjtalk.

If you go to the Annoucements section of xjtalk, there is a how to upload images post that will help.

You can use any image sharing service you like. We have a add on here for photobucket. If you look below the window when you are posting you'll see a place where you can sign on to photobucket and upload your pictures and get the link all on the same page as your post. Makes things go a little faster.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures! Thanks.

Mudderoy
01-30-2010, 01:41 AM
how easy is it? Just take the studs out and put the spacers in and tighten down?

It's a lot easier than installing the lift.

Basically take out the bolts from the transmission cross member and put the 1" rubber spacers in between the frame and the cross member. Use the supplied "longer" bolts.

This drops the back of the transmission and the transfer case. Lessens the angle of the drive shafts to the axles.

I'm guessing a 30 minute job?

BlueXJ
01-30-2010, 02:27 AM
Everything Mudderoy says is correct but I advise that you soak those studs with some form of penetrating oil a few times in the days leading up to the transfer case drop. Depending upon the Jeeps history rusted bolts may be a big issue. I had a buddy call and tell me he had to heat the studs to get them out. His Jeep has spent it's whole life in Florida.

Cobrajay
01-30-2010, 09:50 AM
Those studs were my worst nightmare! I couldnt get the SOB off for the life of me. I even tried a HUGE monkey wrench and got nothing. I had to cut them off, drill them out and re-thread the holes. I had to take it to a shop bcuz the metal was so damn hard I couldnt do it. Even the shop said it was a PITA.

4.3LXJ
01-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Since you installed the lift shackles, you have changed the pinion angle. In theory the tcase drop will also change the output angle enough to compensate for that. If it doesn't, I will tell you how to fix it.

Xjking13
02-05-2010, 10:55 PM
You are going to need to put longer brake lines on if you plan on doing a lot of wheeling

lowrider
02-09-2010, 06:47 AM
ok so when you do a 4.5 lift you dont always have to do a sye? i want to 4.5 on mine but im trying to do it on some what of a budget since it is my dd

Mudderoy
02-09-2010, 08:46 AM
ok so when you do a 4.5 lift you dont always have to do a sye? i want to 4.5 on mine but im trying to do it on some what of a budget since it is my dd

I did mine on a budget. I got the Rough Country 4.5" Lift with AAL from 4wheelingplus.com. It was $435(?) and $35 shipping. It comes with a 1" transfer case drop. It has everything you need to lift the XJ 4.5".

Later I replaced the leaf springs with 4.5" RC springs.

Now I need to do the SYE so I can remove the 1" drop.

4.3LXJ
02-09-2010, 10:59 AM

Not necessarily. You can be old school and use a YJ slip yoke and with a properly set up driveline you can save some money. Over 4.5" though and SYE is a sure bet.

x2elite
02-09-2010, 11:38 AM
I am running 6.5 with no SYE and no vibes....... with just a 1 inch TC drop.

If you are looking for an inexpensive way to get longer front brake lines, check this out.
Front brake lines for a Chevy Pickup. Stock TJ lines are 18" long. These are 25" long. YJ lines are 22" long.
AutoZone part number 77761
AutoZone part number 77760

Those are what I am running on mine. You need two of the front lines, and one of the rear. BTW its been a while since i bought mine, but I think they were around $12 each.

lowrider
02-09-2010, 11:39 AM
so if i get the rustys 4.5 w/springs i can do a 1' t-case drop and be good for a bit then

Mudderoy
02-09-2010, 12:22 PM
so if i get the rustys 4.5 w/springs i can do a 1' t-case drop and be good for a bit then

I've read it is a crap shoot. Sometimes no vibes sometimes vibes. Hmmm that might be on the 97+ XJs.

x2elite
02-09-2010, 12:35 PM
I think it is on the 96 and ups, that it is a crap shoot.

lowrider
02-09-2010, 01:56 PM
well guess i'll be doing a crap shoot then cause mine is a 98

4.3LXJ
02-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Here is a classic situation where it is important to do it properly. You need to get an angle finder, available in lots of tool stores, and make the pinion angle match the tcase angle. Then you won't have vibes. But since you are going to use a shackle, I can guarantee you will have vibes to start with because you will have changed the pinion angle. Here is a diagram. One of these days I will post a "Driveline 101" on how to set it up right every time.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/2joint_angle.gif