PDA

View Full Version : Can't Get Ahead

Melissa
01-18-2010, 12:04 PM
As many of you know I blew up the motor in my 1993 cherokee and last month was the one year mark after sinking $3000 into a donor motor and having all the issues corrected to get my jeep back on the road.

Today I had my 92 Dodge diesel in the shop because it is having a major oil leak issue that just started two weeks ago. I had planned on getting another 91-93 Dodge diesel, but decided against it because mine ran so good and frankly I was too cheap to go and spend the money on another one. After about ten minutes in the shop the verdict came back on my diesel, and to my horror I am told it's the rear main seal going bad :sad0147: Crap..........thats a $1500-$2000 fix to save my diesel.

All this comes on the heels right after I have just sunk a bunch of money into my lawyer, my CPA, more replacement cows, and farm equipment.

I am maxed out for funds, and I rely on my Dodge for most everything, and now I am faced with two choices, fix it, or buy another one, but both those choices are going to have to wait untill my bank account can recover :mad0090:

Anyone want to trade my 3/4 ton Diesel for their 3/4 ton Diesel?? :smiley-laughing021:

4.3LXJ
01-18-2010, 12:34 PM
When it rains it pours, right?

BlueXJ
01-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Research the possibility of doing it yourself. If it isn't much harder than a 4.0L then you can do it. We will help as far as moral support. Cummins are supposed to be pretty simple engines to work on. My brother in law rebuilt the one in his Kenworth and got nearly a million more miles out of it. In fact it outlived him (lung cancer) So it can be doine.

cheap jeep
01-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Some newer vehicles run a full circle rear main seal. To replace it you pull the transmission,remove the flywheel and you have access to the seal.I usually price a new seal and look to see if it's the split kind or full circle. Either way it's usually not extremely difficult.HTH

BlueXJ
01-18-2010, 04:44 PM
See another encouraging post. You can do either one if you are willing to give it a shot Mel.

cheap jeep
01-18-2010, 04:44 PM
If it's the full circle kind you might talk to an independent trans shop to see what they would want to change it,it may be cheaper.

BlueXJ
01-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Another good suggestion!!

Mudderoy
01-18-2010, 04:49 PM
This is why I started working on cars years ago. I was 16 and there wasn't any way I could afford to pay a mechanic. Now I had help at first. My neighbor came over and he and I worked on it for 12 hours. After that I did it myself the next 10 times, until I found out how to do it right. :pee:

BlueXJ
01-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Stuck with you all these years and so now at 21 you could rebuild a 4.0L with a swiss army knife and a roll of duct tape.:shocker::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

Melissa
01-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Okay so I did a little more research on changing the rear main seal in my dodge and now that I have settled down, I'm laughing my *** off. The seal is a full circle seal and what do you know...............on my year of dodge you have to pull the tranny, the transfer case, fly wheel and dam near pull the entire engine to get it changed...............just my luck.

Now the good news, I have a friend that will work on it for free in his spare time Thank goodness, BUT......................the bad news is that I completely rely on my dodge for everyday ranch life and in order to have it fixed by my buddy he has to have it for 3 or more months being as he has a job and can't get to it to work on it everyday.

My solution is this......................buy lots of oil, keep my oil topped off, get through the summer and then this fall get it to my friend and let him have it all winter long and muddle through without my beloved diesel.

Oh........................... and I am getting an independant quote from a diesel mech willing to also work on it.

And I still have not ruled out tackling the seal myself, we will see.

Mudderoy
01-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Okay so I did a little more research on changing the rear main seal in my dodge and now that I have settled down, I'm laughing my *** off. The seal is a full circle seal and what do you know...............on my year of dodge you have to pull the tranny, the transfer case, fly wheel and dam near pull the entire engine to get it changed...............just my luck.

Now the good news, I have a friend that will work on it for free in his spare time Thank goodness, BUT......................the bad news is that I completely rely on my dodge for everyday ranch life and in order to have it fixed by my buddy he has to have it for 3 or more months being as he has a job and can't get to it to work on it everyday.

My solution is this......................buy lots of oil, keep my oil topped off, get through the summer and then this fall get it to my friend and let him have it all winter long and muddle through without my beloved diesel.

Oh........................... and I am getting an independant quote from a diesel mech willing to also work on it.

And I still have not ruled out tackling the seal myself, we will see.

Normally I wounldn't suggest this, but isn't there an additive that will seal oil leaks in gaskets?

finneys98xj
01-18-2010, 09:56 PM
X2 on what mudd said throw some stop leak to try to help the problem. then when you fanilly get to where you can fix the problem flush the motor out with some seaform or zmax before you replace the seal.

BlueXJ
01-18-2010, 11:51 PM
Most of that stop leak stuff swells the seals but eventually turns them to mush. You may stop the seal from leaking today but when the seals are mush you will need an oil well to keep oil in it.
Dot3 brake fluid will work on a short term basis but by the next oil change those seals will pour.

cheap jeep
01-20-2010, 08:07 AM
When you have it apart,I would suggest replacing the pump seal on the transmission,if it's an automatic.The seal goes around the input of the torque converter. it's usually about 5 bucks,and to change it later it all has to come apart again.HTH

Melissa
01-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Normally I wounldn't suggest this, but isn't there an additive that will seal oil leaks in gaskets?

X2 on what mudd said throw some stop leak to try to help the problem. then when you fanilly get to where you can fix the problem flush the motor out with some seaform or zmax before you replace the seal.

Most of that stop leak stuff swells the seals but eventually turns them to mush. You may stop the seal from leaking today but when the seals are mush you will need an oil well to keep oil in it.
Dot3 brake fluid will work on a short term basis but by the next oil change those seals will pour.

I have thought about the easy way out and just adding an additive, but my diesel sometimes pulls very heavy loads (10,000lbs +), so I don't want the easy way, I want to make sure it's done right and the right way.

When you have it apart,I would suggest replacing the pump seal on the transmission,if it's an automatic.The seal goes around the input of the torque converter. it's usually about 5 bucks,and to change it later it all has to come apart again.HTH

I will be sure to do that :thumbsup:

DETOURS
01-22-2010, 09:40 PM
The big deal is the weight of the items being moved to replace a $6.50 item.....no easy answers, it's all labor..

BlueXJ
01-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Let us know when you decide to do this or farm it out.

Melissa
01-23-2010, 10:53 PM
Let us know when you decide to do this or farm it out.

I'll be sure to let you know, as of right now I am still uncertain, so it's just sitting and I'm only driving it if I have to, my poor Jeep is now getting a harder daily workout :smiley-scared002: