PDA

View Full Version : Pep Boys universal Ignition switch

machinebike
01-18-2010, 09:06 AM
I mounted this in my dash, The man at Pep Boys said I might have to have one wire to the headlamps and other wires before the relays.
Has anyone tried this before? I cant figure how to:shocker: correctly wire.
:driving:

BlueXJ
01-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Not sure what you got from PB. Can you post a pic?

4.3LXJ
01-18-2010, 11:01 AM
A little more info too. what is it you are trying to do?

BlueXJ
01-18-2010, 04:42 PM
One post and he does a Houdini on us.

Mudderoy
01-18-2010, 04:50 PM
One post and he does a Houdini on us.

lol take it easy. He's new, and he may have a job. :smiley-laughing021:

BlueXJ
01-18-2010, 05:03 PM
lol take it easy. He's new, and he may have a job. :smiley-laughing021:

Been retired so long I forgot that some people still have to go out there and work everyday, my bad.

rguignard
01-19-2010, 06:38 AM
Been retired so long I forgot that some people still have to go out there and work everyday, my bad.

must be nice :thumbsup: do you get board????

machinebike
01-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Howdy everyone, I recently joined the board and coudnt locate my post.:boohoo:

Its a round object that comes with 2 keys, it has screws on back to connect acc, ingnition, battery, starter.

My steering column key cylinder is broke, I damaged the column removing it, so I bought this universal key/ignition/switch from pepboys. What Im not sure is if its just a key cylinder (but its much bigger, or if its also the switch, so the key cylinder and switch into one unit.

Ill post pics later, thanks

4.3LXJ
01-22-2010, 01:37 PM
It is a switch on a key cylinder.

machinebike
01-22-2010, 08:05 PM
It is a switch on a key cylinder.

Key cylinder and switch combo, how do you by pass the column switch?

Ill get some pics hopefully tomarrow.

4.3LXJ
01-22-2010, 08:54 PM
That is a job I wouldn't want to do if at all possible, and there is not much I won't take on. If it was my old CJ5, no problem. But an XJ has much more complicated wiring. I would rather get the stock parts from a wrecking yard, even if it was a whole column. Then it is just a matter of plug and play.

BlueXJ
01-22-2010, 11:04 PM
That is a job I wouldn't want to do if at all possible, and there is not much I won't take on. If it was my old CJ5, no problem. But an XJ has much more complicated wiring. I would rather get the stock parts from a wrecking yard, even if it was a whole column. Then it is just a matter of plug and play.

:dito:

machinebike
01-23-2010, 10:29 AM
could it be wired the same way a column switch is wired?

or what about wiring it to the engines wiring side where the ignition switch is?

I damaged the stering colum cover because I couldntfigure out how it came off. I was stranded when my ignition key cylinder broke so broke off the ignition key cover and pryed it out with a hammer and chisel then chisekled a wider openinmg so I could stick needle nose pliers in the in the cylinder to turn over engine. Im still using pliers to start my engine about a year later.

4.3LXJ
01-23-2010, 10:38 AM
It is possible, but if you are not really good with wiring I would not attempt it. Getting the replacement column is a lot easier, faster, neater and probably cost you about the same in the long run.

Mudderoy
01-23-2010, 01:00 PM
I recently installed an alarm system with remote start. As many of you may already know installing a switch so that you can start and enable to engine to continue running is pretty simple. The hard part is making it secure and neat, in some cases safe.

On another note... I know that we all don't have digital cameras, or it isn't all that easy to get the pictures uploaded so they can be seen on the website, but I still want to encourage ALL of you that when you have a problem with something, taking a picture and posting it along with your question will make it much easier for someone to help you.

Often websites have better pictures than we can take of a part. Post the link to the part. This will help the person trying to help you see the part, or at least read the description. Sometimes just knowing the part number will help us find the information we need on the Internet.

Please don't misunderstand. I'm not chastising anyone, it's merely a suggestion to help us get you an answer quickly and accurately. :thumbsup:

rguignard
01-23-2010, 03:11 PM
On another note... I know that we all don't have digital cameras, or it isn't all that easy to get the pictures uploaded so they can be seen on the website, but I still want to encourage ALL of you that when you have a problem with something, taking a picture and posting it along with your question will make it much easier for someone to help you.

just about everyone has a camera on there phone i dont think you can get a phone without one anymore can you ? :thumbsup:

4.3LXJ
01-23-2010, 03:35 PM
just about everyone has a camera on there phone i dont think you can get a phone without one anymore can you ? :thumbsup:

No. They insist you get the camera so they can charge you for another feature. My plan charges 15 cents for each up loaded photo.

rguignard
01-23-2010, 08:21 PM
No. They insist you get the camera so they can charge you for another feature. My plan charges 15 cents for each up loaded photo.

my plan is all unlimited so no extra anything :shocker:

4.3LXJ
01-23-2010, 09:09 PM
my plan is all unlimited so no extra anything :shocker:

I have to pay for a text plan too, so I don't text.

machinebike
01-24-2010, 01:05 PM
I cant submit pics, keepsm telling me it exceeds quota, Ive cropped and have them as small as I can (email small) and still wont down load them

Mudderoy
01-24-2010, 03:14 PM
I cant submit pics, keepsm telling me it exceeds quota, Ive cropped and have them as small as I can (email small) and still wont down load them

We have a very small amount of space available on the server for pictures, so we encourage everyone to use a free image sharing service, like photobucket.com.

Look in "Announcements" for instructions on how to post a picture on photobucket, then just put the link in your post.

machinebike
01-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Hi, thanks for the info, heres some pics....

machinebike
01-25-2010, 10:20 AM
here are the pics........

I surrender.

Can someone tell me how to get the pics I placed in photo bucket to show on my post? Thank you,

Mudderoy
01-25-2010, 10:32 AM
here are the pics........

I surrender.

Can someone tell me how to get the pics I placed in photo bucket to show on my post? Thank you,

Really the simplest way is to look for "Display the upload form from Photobucket" below the window that comes up after you click on the http://www.xjtalk.com/images/redbar/buttons/reply.gif button.

It will be under the "Additional Options" heading.

Once you click "Display the upload form from Photobucket" link a window will appear wanting you to log on. This is your photobucket login.

After you log in to photobucket click on the image that you want to post. Just below you'll see IMG: and a text box. Just click on the text in that box. All the text will be highlighted. Right click and select copy.

Now scroll back up to your post. Position the mouse pointer in the box and then right click and select paste. This should put the image in your post with the necessary code wrapped around it. You can click on the "Preview Post" button to double check that it is there.

Once happy with your post just click the "Submit Reply" button.

PM me if you still need help. If necessary we can get on the phone and I'll walk you through it. :thumbsup:

machinebike
01-25-2010, 08:01 PM
Hi trying to get it to work :shocker:

machinebike
01-25-2010, 08:03 PM
http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy81/machinebike/comprign3.jpg

machinebike
01-25-2010, 08:14 PM
http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy81/machinebike/compressedign2.jpg

machinebike
01-25-2010, 08:15 PM
http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy81/machinebike/compressedignition.jpg

Ahhhh, I think I did it right, wow, what a feeling of accomplishment.

Here it is , the universal switch mounted in my dash, but I dont have a clue as to where I can properly run the wires to. I mounted yellow 12 guage wires and now need to mount them to the "other side".

Mudderoy
01-25-2010, 11:45 PM
http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy81/machinebike/compressedignition.jpg

Ahhhh, I think I did it right, wow, what a feeling of accomplishment.

Here it is , the universal switch mounted in my dash, but I dont have a clue as to where I can properly run the wires to. I mounted yellow 12 guage wires and now need to mount them to the "other side".

You got it! Wow that thing is huge!

machinebike
01-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Hi, I posted too many pics by accident and too large.

But the last pic is my universal ignityion switch from Pep Boys.

The back needs to connect to my wiring harness somewhere.

*STARTER prong connecting to seleniod on starter?

*IGN prong connecting to.....?

*ACCESS connecting to relay before the headlights?
*Prong in center........I assume thats the ground?

Or what if I disconnected the wires running to the ign switch on the column and ran the wires from my universal switch to them?

Is anyone familiar or have tried this before?

4.3LXJ
01-27-2010, 05:44 PM
I've done it several times, but not on an XJ

machinebike
01-29-2010, 09:57 AM
I've done it several times, but not on an XJ

could the wires on the new swtich be connected to where the original switch is? What could cause the xj to be more compicated with switch wires? Are there more, or more relays? :smiley-gen165:

4.3LXJ
01-29-2010, 10:30 AM
What I would do if I did it would be to disconnect the wires from the stock switch and run my new wires and connect the terminals on the new switch to the wires on the corresponding terminals.

machinebike
02-02-2010, 09:24 PM
:hmmmm2:Do you know where I may find an ignition switch wiring diagram so I can be familiar with color codes?

4.3LXJ
02-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Motors Manual at your local public library

cheap jeep
02-03-2010, 05:44 PM
You might try a remote start manufacturer. When I installed my wife's remote(Bulldog) I went to their site,it helped a lot,they have wiring diagrams for about anything.