PDA

View Full Version : Super charger cheap and easy? Can it be true?

TheWeiss
01-06-2010, 02:37 PM
So I pulled this link from another thread to keep things organized in the forum. This link is for a smaller electric powered supercharger that gives 2-3 pounds of boost and it's $25 dollars. For the price it might just be worth giving it a try.

The setup is basically a switch driven air fan that pumps a little extra air into your intake just past the air filter.
With such a little amount of boost it doesn't really seem like it would adversely effect the engine.
Can anyone see any holes in this logic or any potential issues that could arise? Even better, has anyone ever used one of these or anything similar? Or known someone who has used one?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Jeep-Supercharger-Wrangler-Cherokee-CJ-Gain-Torque-HP_W0QQitemZ330392448351QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_ Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4cececad5f

4.3LXJ
01-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Can anyone see any holes in this logic or any potential issues that could arise? Even better, has anyone ever used one of these or anything similar?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Jeep-Supercharger-Wrangler-Cherokee-CJ-Gain-Torque-HP_W0QQitemZ330392448351QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_ Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4cececad5f

Yes I can. I would predict you would gain 5 hp or less. The figures given were for a small Ford Focus engine that gained about 10 hp. The same air flow in a 4.0L that has twice the displacement would see half the boost or less. Don't forget now also that you have to generate the electricity to turn it which will take away the net horsepower gained. I wouldn't waste the money.

TheWeiss
01-06-2010, 03:03 PM
All,
I immediately regret posting this junk. I hadn't taken the time to process the idea of this and after thinking for a bit and reading some reviews elsewhere this thing is so ludicrously stupid I am amazed at myself for passing it on.

Sorry all.

96xj
01-06-2010, 03:30 PM
yea.. it sounds like a piece of crap.. do you really think a little electric motor is going to generate the pressure required to make boost in an engine.. it will disintigrate the second you put any sort of airflow from revving your engine into it... not a good investment at all

BlueXJ
01-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Strong idea with several flaws. It made us think which is a good thing, so THANKS.

rguignard
01-06-2010, 07:02 PM
on utube they put a leaf blower in the intake and that worked. it was a gas leaf blower i guess you could duct tape it to your roof

Mudderoy
01-06-2010, 08:10 PM
All,
I immediately regret posting this junk. I hadn't taken the time to process the idea of this and after thinking for a bit and reading some reviews elsewhere this thing is so ludicrously stupid I am amazed at myself for passing it on.

Sorry all.

Well look at the other side of it. If you hadn't posted it some of us might not have known it was crap. :patriot:

4.3LXJ
01-06-2010, 09:51 PM
There is all sorts of scams out there. I think this was a good exercise to prove that when turbo or super charging there is no cheap and easy alternatives. I have set one up completely from scratch and owned some others. There are many things to consider when pressurizing a manifold. None of it is simple.

TheWeiss
01-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Yeah, the idea that really cuaght me is that nothing could possibly work well is its flow rate isn't affected by the RPM's on the engine. But that leaf blower idea is pretty awesome. I'll be checking that one out (for the novelty of course)

Rev D
03-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Add another 100 or 175 and pick and pull a GM 3800 supercharger (eaton), its the real deal and good for at least 10 lbs boost. It'll give up the goods, been looking to see if anyone had hung one on a 4.0 yet. I think since it is a roots type (and yeah you lose a bit in mechanical loses, but the gains are still pretty nice) it should have grunt and start building boost right off idle. Just a thought and I'm sure not original others have put it on other motors with pretty good success. I hear past about 10 lbs they don't have much and at that point your probably better with a turbo.

Regards,

Don

Ps: Sorry I forgot how old this post is, I did'nt remember what page I was on since I'm browsing post that could almost be considered archives at this point. :D