PDA

View Full Version : my first jeep

XJNEWB
01-04-2010, 01:22 AM
alright, this is my first post. i am in the market for my first jeep. xjs have always appealed to my taste and i need some help getting my first. ive read a lot about the different years and need some input from some experienced owners. first; my bugget:thumbdown:, i would love a 2001 with 5k miles, but thats not realistic. i know i can find an older one for under a 1000 dollars as there are many. i would like to know what to look for when i go to look at one. i am a mechanic so i know all the basics and i know a little about what engine i like being the 4.0, but different trannies/gears, axels, prone rust spots, vacuum accuated transfer cases vs later models, and other problem areas i am not familiar with. i know the HO motor came in 91and later xj's, but is it worth the extra cost? any help is appreciated. this will be primarily a family car and a daily driver with the hopes of a weekend warrior, my plans are to lift it 3 inches, throw 31s on it, put some mud on it, and take my kids to daycare:D. i would like help choosing the right jeep for my needs. thanks in advance.

Mudderoy
01-04-2010, 01:46 AM
alright, this is my first post. i am in the market for my first jeep. xjs have always appealed to my taste and i need some help getting my first. ive read a lot about the different years and need some input from some experienced owners. first; my bugget:thumbdown:, i would love a 2001 with 5k miles, but thats not realistic. i know i can find an older one for under a 1000 dollars as there are many. i would like to know what to look for when i go to look at one. i am a mechanic so i know all the basics and i know a little about what engine i like being the 4.0, but different trannies/gears, axels, prone rust spots, vacuum accuated transfer cases vs later models, and other problem areas i am not familiar with. i know the HO motor came in 91and later xj's, but is it worth the extra cost? any help is appreciated. this will be primarily a family car and a daily driver with the hopes of a weekend warrior, my plans are to lift it 3 inches, throw 31s on it, put some mud on it, and take my kids to daycare:D. i would like help choosing the right jeep for my needs. thanks in advance.

Hey I know what you mean about a daily driver. First off I'm going to skip most of what you said and tell you the best year you can get is the 1999.

It was the best year of the 97+ rigs. I personally have a 1998 that the wife and I bought new, with like 19 miles on it. I started building it up about 2 or 3 years ago now.

There are several people on here that have the RENIX era Jeeps and love them. I think these older Jeeps might be the direction you are going in.

I went to a local off road park with some new friends recently. One of the guys had a 1986 Jeep XJ. My oldest son went with me. That Jeep and he were born in the same year!

The 1986 Jeep blazed the trail in front of me, and in doing so he figured out that he was in 2wd, but it only slowed him down a little. lol

I'll let some others jump in here and throw in their 2 cents.

Please keep us up to date on your search. Hell we can even help you make the right choice, or at least ask some good questions of the sellers.

XJNEWB
01-04-2010, 04:05 AM
it would be nice to find a later model, but funds are limited, im even scared of the gas compared to my honda. im not to big into crawling, but definitely some spirited mountain roads to get to the good camping/fishing/shooting spots. i was thinking of a 91-95 xj, i never liked all the bullcrap associated with obd2 and they have the high output motor.

XJNEWB
01-04-2010, 04:10 AM
another question, i figure any jeep in my price range will have over 200k. what problems start to happen around then? other than regular maintenance

Mudderoy
01-04-2010, 08:41 AM
another question, i figure any jeep in my price range will have over 200k. what problems start to happen around then? other than regular maintenance

I'm at 150k, so I'll let someone else answer. Each to his own of course, but the only complaint I have about my 1998 is the engine cooling system, and I think that is more a function of the shape of the radiator, long and narrow.

BlueXJ
01-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Ask most folks on the forum and they will say to pick the year model that they own, just like Mudd did, but you must decide what features and quality is available where you live. Then you must also consider what is in your budget. Just a few words of encouragement and some basic advice is all. Look for rust free vehicles. Crawl under and check everything yourself.

rguignard
01-04-2010, 11:24 AM
i have a 95 with allmost 300000 on it the eng and trans have about 100000 on them and i have NO leaks at all i have a wheel bearing going out now so dont let miles turn you off of one. if you look around they say 91 /92 to 95 / 96 are the ones to get its still obd1 and ho motor good head on it at least that what ive read . lol

XJNEWB
01-04-2010, 12:16 PM
ive read that too. i recently read an article about a 693hp turboed motor and they recommended 91-95, so i imagine they are tuff. i am unclear about the RENIX system pros/cons and most of the cheap xj's in my area are 86-90. as far as my bugget goes, im selling my honda civic for 2500 so i expect to get roughly 2000, tax return is coming up so ill have a little more from that, figure 3k, i know i can get a later model with that, but im a fan of spending whatever is necessary to make it safe and reliable for the family i.e. brakes, hoses, full tune-up, and tires, it would be nice to grab something cheap enough to start upgrading as well.

alwaysxj
01-04-2010, 12:37 PM
i have a 88 it is good but alittle under powered. i would look for a 92- 96 they are your best bet for the price with these you don't have the vaccume front end and you have the 4.0 ho the xj is known for the rear main seal to leak on the higher mile one's. if you do go with a older one stay clear of anything from 86-87 they have problems with the fron drive line. if you do go from 88-91 you can swap out the front end witch i have done to a newwer front end so you don't have the vaccume front end and these years came with a 44 in the rear in some of them. cost wise i would say 88-91 you can get on for under $1000 and then they go up. i would say look for a 92-96 i have had a couple those years and i loved them.

XJNEWB
01-04-2010, 01:40 PM
thanks ALWAYSXJ, that answered a lot of questions.

BlueXJ
01-04-2010, 03:45 PM
I have a 90 XJ and an 89 MJ both are pre OBD and I like to decide whats wrong with my junk so prefer no computer help me. Independent old cuss is a good description of me.

If you just have some basic skills that will allow you to use a simple VOM then you can buy older stuff a lot cheaper without any OBD stuff and fix whatever goes wrong and I will be glad to point you in the right direction on most problems with a minimal of expenditures on your part.

tbone
01-04-2010, 06:35 PM
The renix is a good engine, I have an 88 with 255,000+ on it and the only repairs I've made are the starter has been replaced, the valve cover gasket a battery and it know has a small leak around the rear main. In the end you need to make the decision on your preferences. All of the models have good and bad points. Be glad to help where we can. :patriot:

Melissa
01-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Well my 2 cents.................I bought a 93 with 147k and love it. I had absolutely no problems with it for about 6 years..................untill I blew up the motor at 250k, My fault.

I have used my Jeep to pull really heavy trailers they were never meant to tow, I have never had any issues with my transmission that now has 290k on it.

XJNEWB
01-05-2010, 12:03 AM
thanks again for all the good info. i will let you guys know if i find anything. i have a couple people coming to look at my car this week so it should be sold by the weekend, then i will be on the prowl.

XJNEWB
01-07-2010, 12:39 AM
alright guys, i may have found it!:D 91, 168k miles, 3in lift, 33in tires, and 4.11 gears, in my price range, i emailed him and he hasnt gotten back to me yet so i dont know much more. i know it might have some rubbing issues with the 33inch tires. is there a special way to get picture size any smaller so i can post some up. my avatar is really happening to me. i tried converting to jpeg from bdf and its still too big
:mad0090:http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/1539625723.html heres the link

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/none_600/SUC53428-1.jpg

Mudderoy
01-07-2010, 06:57 AM
It says "168k on engine", I'd find out how many miles total on the rest of it. Including transmission. On the face of it, it seems to be a good deal. Notice the sliders, hood vents, etc?

alwaysxj
01-07-2010, 12:03 PM
that is not a bad deal i would do it. but like mudderoy said check the engine.

BlueXJ
01-07-2010, 12:34 PM
The headline says he wants $2.00 and the description says 1900 OBO. I would give the $2.00 without hesitation but the 1900 may be a tad high. I just(2 months ago) bought two 87s for $300 each and robbed the parts needed off of one and traded the other for a Camaro which I gave to my buddy. So deals can be had.

alwaysxj
01-07-2010, 12:49 PM
The headline says he wants $2.00 and the description says 1900 OBO. I would give the $2.00 without hesitation but the 1900 may be a tad high. I just(2 months ago) bought two 87s for $300 each and robbed the parts needed off of one and traded the other for a Camaro which I gave to my buddy. So deals can be had.

ya that might be a little high but if you look what it already has it has 4.11 gears already it has sliders and newer 33s that right thier is alot of money that he will not have to put in to a stock xj. i think if he finds a stock one and puts all this on it he will be well over the $1900 now if he can talk him down to like $1500 then it would be a good deal.

XJNEWB
01-07-2010, 09:29 PM
ya i noticed all the upgrades, thats a big reason why i like it, i wont have to put much money into upgrades like i had planed, i would be able to focus on reliability. the price is a little high, ive found numerous under 800, but they are stock and have problems, or they are not streetable and were used strictly for crawling. the down factor is that i wont be able to build it myself, i have a "build it, dont buy it" mentality, i always want to put the work in so that i appreciate things more. i could take everything off and redo it! i would have to anyways for paint. thanks for the replys, i had i guy come take a look at my car today and was very interested, but the dude couldnt drive a stick, so he said he would take him a week to come back down and get it. this jeep might be gone before that. ill keep you posted

XJNEWB
01-07-2010, 11:23 PM
another possibility is an 87 with 3in lift and 31in tires, he states that it is in good running order, but needs work on the 4 wheel drive and theres no heat, i know the problems with the heater control valve( i think thats what its called) and the heater core getting clogged, i hope the 4x4 just has a vaccum leak and can be fixed with new hose. he wants to trade for a laptop, i just so happen to have one im not using. if i cant get the one i posted before ill probably get this. i have a question though, i found a 97 that got t-boned in the rear, but not too bad, my question is: can all the parts off of the 97 fit the 87? motor, tranny, axels, suspension, body parts. thanks in advance and sorry for blabbering, but i can feel jeep oil in my veins, its so close:smiley-scared002:

XJNEWB
01-08-2010, 09:21 AM
upon researching, ive heard that everything from a 97 will bolt on to an 87, is this correct? there selling the 97 for 300 and thats a good deal i think it has like 100k miles!:thumbsup: if this is possible i would greatly like some input on it. thanks oh, and goodmorning everyone:patriot::coffee::driving:

alwaysxj
01-08-2010, 10:40 AM
yes this is true. you can put the new style front end on the older ones and it looks good i would buy it just for that. i would say take the front and rear end out of it and the motor tranny ect and put it in the other one and then you would have a good start better then the other one that you were looking at.

XJNEWB
01-08-2010, 04:47 PM
coool! ill see what i can do, one problem, i dont have a garage anymore... ill have to take out as much as i can and have it towed in one day(stupid HOA) that should be fun.

XJNEWB
01-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Update...i think i found it:D. 96, 3in lift, 31s, 140k miles. it needs a new door and a waterpump both of which he is selling with it brand new. it was sideswiped on the passenger side, very minor and the door shuts and works fine, but has a dent that is kind of unsightly. best of all it is less than the 91 i posted earlier for 1900. im going to look at it tomorrow morning. ill post some pics if i get it. wish me luck

Mudderoy
01-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Update...i think i found it:D. 96, 3in lift, 31s, 140k miles. it needs a new door and a waterpump both of which he is selling with it brand new. it was sideswiped on the passenger side, very minor and the door shuts and works fine, but has a dent that is kind of unsightly. best of all it is less than the 91 i posted earlier for 1900. im going to look at it tomorrow morning. ill post some pics if i get it. wish me luck

Good luck, but I still like that 91. Did you at least see how much he would take for it?

XJNEWB
01-11-2010, 11:05 AM
i like the 91 better as well, but he never reterned my emails(3):confused:.

Mudderoy
01-11-2010, 11:27 AM
i like the 91 better as well, but he never reterned my emails(3):confused:.

lol, I wonder if it is one of those "the wife is making me sell my jeep" deals.

XJNEWB
01-11-2010, 11:59 PM
:smiley-scared002:yeah!!! i got my first jeep. its a 96 with 31s and a 3in lift(blocks and spacers:thumbdown:), 150k miles. its got vibes, but im making my own t-case drop tomorrow. it has some rubbing when you flex it(went off road during the test drive and almost rolled:eek:). im going to trim up the fenders a little before getting some tj fenders. drove 50 miles home in it and loved every minute of it, i even had my first encounter with a H2:D. i have a lot of big plans for this jeep and cant wait to get started. ill take some photos tomorrow after i do some maintenence and clean it up a bit. then ill take some pics of it dirty lol. i really thank all of you for your input and advice...and i want a sticker:thumbsup:. ill keep you guys updated

Mudderoy
01-12-2010, 08:32 AM
:smiley-scared002:yeah!!! i got my first jeep. its a 96 with 31s and a 3in lift(blocks and spacers:thumbdown:), 150k miles. its got vibes, but im making my own t-case drop tomorrow. it has some rubbing when you flex it(went off road during the test drive and almost rolled:eek:). im going to trim up the fenders a little before getting some tj fenders. drove 50 miles home in it and loved every minute of it, i even had my first encounter with a H2:D. i have a lot of big plans for this jeep and cant wait to get started. ill take some photos tomorrow after i do some maintenence and clean it up a bit. then ill take some pics of it dirty lol. i really thank all of you for your input and advice...and i want a sticker:thumbsup:. ill keep you guys updated

You didn't mention it so I'll be the first to jump in. Get rid of the blocks.

We appreciate your interest in the xjtalk stickers. Hopefully we'll be handing those out again real soon.

alwaysxj
01-12-2010, 10:26 AM
sound like you got a good start but like mudderoy said get rid of those blocks and spacers i would go to a full coil and srpring lift when you have the cash of course. does just the front rub ? if so i would say just cut the front for now that is what i have done.

pics man pics.

XJNEWB
01-18-2010, 12:14 AM
alright i feel like a jerk. i worked over 80 hours this week and havent had a chance to take pics(im sorry), i will get those tomorrow as i finally get a day off. im going to save up for some s10 leaf packs to get rid of those blocks and try to find some grand cherokee springs once my bugget gets back on track. i think ill still have to have spacers up front. my buddy found me some new rock crawler rims and wants to trade for the ones on my jeep, chrome american racing 15x8s(i hate chrome) so ill have those sometime this week. i also ran into an old lady that has a 96 cherokee with 30k miles on it:eek: and the front brush guard i want and said she would sell it to me for 25 bucks:thumbsup:, hopefully she calls me before i spend it. ill post up the pics tomorrow after i install the cherrybomb:smiley-angry021:

Mudderoy
01-18-2010, 01:18 AM
alright i feel like a jerk. i worked over 80 hours this week and havent had a chance to take pics(im sorry), i will get those tomorrow as i finally get a day off. im going to save up for some s10 leaf packs to get rid of those blocks and try to find some grand cherokee springs once my bugget gets back on track. i think ill still have to have spacers up front. my buddy found me some new rock crawler rims and wants to trade for the ones on my jeep, chrome american racing 15x8s(i hate chrome) so ill have those sometime this week. i also ran into an old lady that has a 96 cherokee with 30k miles on it:eek: and the front brush guard i want and said she would sell it to me for 25 bucks:thumbsup:, hopefully she calls me before i spend it. ill post up the pics tomorrow after i install the cherrybomb:smiley-angry021:

Don't worry about it. If/when you can get pics up great. We'll be here. :popcorn:

XJNEWB
02-07-2010, 08:20 AM
so its been a while. i still cant figure out how to post pics(im an idiot)so ill tell you what ive done so far and overload you guys with pics when i figure it out. we had some good weather over the weekend so i gave the jeep a bath. i then noticed that it looked like sh!t. most of the clear coat was flaking off and there was a lot of sun damage. so for a grand total of $3.24 i painted it. i was really suprised that it only took three cans of paint to cover it all. while i was painting i noticed that my hood was missing something?... hood vents:) i researched a lot of different styles, placement, photos, and came up with boat vents, they are really aggresive and look really good. my buddy gave me a new cb radio, but i have to fab up a antenna mount and find a place to install the radio. i hate clutter and like things up and out of the way, but easily accessable. we'll see what i come up with. i got two of the new rims from my buddy and found out that they are 10" wide. i put them on the back tonight and they look awesome, but they arent legal... i need fenders. i am rambling, i am going to make this a SAR vehicle and help out my community. i have gotten full support from my family to go bigger and badder with it and will soon be adding a couple cylinders:D any help on resizing pics

rguignard
02-07-2010, 09:10 AM
so its been a while. i still cant figure out how to post pics(im an idiot)so ill tell you what ive done so far and overload you guys with pics when i figure it out. we had some good weather over the weekend so i gave the jeep a bath. i then noticed that it looked like sh!t. most of the clear coat was flaking off and there was a lot of sun damage. so for a grand total of $3.24 i painted it. i was really suprised that it only took three cans of paint to cover it all. while i was painting i noticed that my hood was missing something?... hood vents:) i researched a lot of different styles, placement, photos, and came up with boat vents, they are really aggresive and look really good. my buddy gave me a new cb radio, but i have to fab up a antenna mount and find a place to install the radio. i hate clutter and like things up and out of the way, but easily accessable. we'll see what i come up with. i got two of the new rims from my buddy and found out that they are 10" wide. i put them on the back tonight and they look awesome, but they arent legal... i need fenders. i am rambling, i am going to make this a SAR vehicle and help out my community. i have gotten full support from my family to go bigger and badder with it and will soon be adding a couple cylinders:D any help on resizing pics

post the pics on photobucket the they will go on here xjtalk easily . were are you in the usa ?
:thumbsup:

rguignard
02-07-2010, 09:12 AM
btw i love your avatar :smiley-laughing021:

96xj
02-07-2010, 10:05 AM
i would say he is in Florida with that stupid HOA

XJNEWB
02-08-2010, 03:03 AM
im in nevada. ill try photobucket thanks.

4.3LXJ
02-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Where in Nevada?

XJNEWB
02-09-2010, 11:00 PM
i am from reno

x2elite
02-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Good purchase.... everyone knows the 96 models are the best!!! ;) And don't let mileage scare you too much, mine has around 230k on the ticker, and lets just say the last 30K have been nothing but HARD miles!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/Jhamilton_/JeepOnGorge.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/Jhamilton_/photo-21.jpg

Mudderoy
02-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Good purchase.... everyone knows the 96 models are the best!!! ;) And don't let mileage scare you too much, mine has around 230k on the ticker, and lets just say the last 30K have been nothing but HARD miles!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/Jhamilton_/JeepOnGorge.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/Jhamilton_/photo-21.jpg

96's can't be that good. I mean you had to put a cage around yours to keep it from falling a part! :rotfl2:

x2elite
02-10-2010, 09:32 AM
That cage was just put there to help contain the awesomeness!!!!

Mudderoy
02-10-2010, 09:34 AM
That cage was just put there to help contain the awesomeness!!!!

Hey that should help keep my sprints up if I'm ever sent to prison! :patriot:

alwaysxj
02-10-2010, 09:54 AM
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::patriot:
Hey that should help keep my sprints up if I'm ever sent to prison! :patriot:

XJNEWB
02-13-2010, 09:49 AM
i love the jeep so far. the only problem i have is the gas milage, im getting around 11mpg in town:thumbdown:. how did they expect us to upgrade these when all your money is spent on gas. i will get pics up soon

Mudderoy
02-13-2010, 10:24 AM
i love the jeep so far. the only problem i have is the gas milage, im getting around 11mpg in town:thumbdown:. how did they expect us to upgrade these when all your money is spent on gas. i will get pics up soon

After my lift and tires gas started getting really expensive. I started noticing that the gas mileage wasn't so good. I measured it and it was around 10 mpg. I looked into improving that after reading on NAXJA.org that people were getting 16 to 18 mpg with lifted rigs.

Tune up was first on the list. I cleaned the throttle body. I think that's when I changed my driving style. I replaced the O2 sensors. I went from 3.55 gears to 4.56 gears. Take off driving style changed then. :D

I changed wheel bearing assemblies. I have a NP242 so keeping it in 2WD makes 1+ mpg difference.

Anyway I'm to the point now where I can get 13 to 13.7 mpg regularly (this would be considered city mileage not highway).

I'm planning on changing out the injectors with 4 hole matched rebuilt injectors.

If I can get it up to 14/15 mpg city I'll be happy.

4.3LXJ
02-13-2010, 11:21 AM
i am from reno

There are three of us clustered together now in Chico. We are not far apart. My son goes to Reno on weekends regularly to take his daughter to her mother's. We all could get together some time.

DETOURS
02-13-2010, 07:48 PM
My first Jeep........

Title mislead me, but since I'm here.... these are my first "Jeep's".....

68 Kaiser M715 (Military)
48 CJ2A (Navy Conversion)

Niether one got 8 miles to the gallon.......well maybe the 2A got 10......:headshake:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f136/corncrawler/untitledMCM715.jpg

flippedXJ
02-13-2010, 09:25 PM
those are cool

XJNEWB
02-15-2010, 08:28 PM
There are three of us clustered together now in Chico. We are not far apart. My son goes to Reno on weekends regularly to take his daughter to her mother's. We all could get together some time.

that would be cool. have a little wheelin trip, ill bring the brats:thumbsup: