PDA

View Full Version : Superwinch epi9.0 cable issue

Mudderoy
01-01-2010, 12:30 PM
I recently purchased a Superwinch epi9.0 from Amazon.com. A few days after installing the winch I was told I need to stretch the cable before first use. Living in the burbs, there isn't much to hook onto so my first chance was an off road park that I went to this past Sunday. I disengaged the clutch and was extending the cable. A friend pointed out a, I guess the best way to describe is is a mashed spot on the cable. It looks like the cable was mashed between a bit of cable under and over this mashed bit. My question is does this mean the cable is now bad? If so it is a warranty item, or just something I have to replace on my own? I guess it is about 70 feet down the cable.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/superwinch-issue1.jpg

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/superwinch-issue2.jpg

I just sent the following message to the "Contact Us" on the Superwinch website;

I recently purchased a Superwinch epi9.0 from Amazon.com. A few days after installing the winch I was told I need to stretch the cable before first use. Living in the burbs, there isn't much to hook onto so my first chance was an off road park that I went to this past Sunday. I disengaged the clutch and was extending the cable. A friend pointed out a, I guess the best way to describe is is a mashed spot on the cable. It looks like the cable was mashed between a bit of cable under and over this mashed bit. My question is does this mean the cable is now bad? If so it is a warranty item, or just something I have to replace on my own? I guess it is about 70 feet down the cable. This is my first winch, so hopefully it's just something that happens and isn't anything I need to worry about. Thanks in advance. BTW, I can provide a picture part of the cable that I am talking about.

I hear they have great customer service, so I'm hopeful that if the cable is bad I can get a replacement at little or no cost to me. I wonder how often this type of thing happens to winch cables?

4.3LXJ
01-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Welcome to the world of cable.

Cable gets mashed when you use it. That is why it is important to rewind your cable properly after every use. But even then, this stuff happens. The first thing to do is rewind the cable completely. Start with three turns on the drum. Never go less than that or it will pull out. Put the wife in a car and attach the cable to it and wind up the cable with the parking brake half on in the car. Wind it evenly and tight with no spaces in between the winds.

This is not a bad mash. If you put a good pull on it it will straighten out for the most part and you may not even be able to find it again.

Mudderoy
01-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Welcome to the world of cable.

Cable gets mashed when you use it. That is why it is important to rewind your cable properly after every use. But even then, this stuff happens. The first thing to do is rewind the cable completely. Start with three turns on the drum. Never go less than that or it will pull out. Put the wife in a car and attach the cable to it and wind up the cable with the parking brake half on in the car. Wind it evenly and tight with no spaces in between the winds.

This is not a bad mash. If you put a good pull on it it will straighten out for the most part and you may not even be able to find it again.

I was hoping for that answer. I was thinking the same thing, this must happen easily. I can't imagine replacing the cable everytime something like this happens. Yep, I never thought about winching the ahhh, the wife! :smiley-laughing021:

4.3LXJ
01-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Winching the wench you mean.

You should train her. Then you would have wenching the winch. :smiley-laughing021:

Mudderoy
01-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Winching the wench you mean.

You should train her. Then you would have wenching the winch. :smiley-laughing021:

lol I would never SAY such a thing about my lovely (and a much better person than I) wife. :D

4.3LXJ
01-01-2010, 02:01 PM
One of the Top Truck Challenge videos I have, One of the drivers had his wife be his spotter. She said right on camera, "I'm the wench".

BlueXJ
01-01-2010, 05:45 PM
My cable stretch consisted of pulling a CJ5 with no clutch and a locked up engine, out of a pile of brush. The winch cable did fine and stretched out nicely.

rguignard
01-02-2010, 10:57 AM
lol I would never SAY such a thing about my lovely (and a much better person than I) wife. :D

hay mudderoy you got something on your nose :shocker: im just picking

BlueXJ
01-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Let us know what Superwinch has to say about replacement. Have you considered synthetic?

Mudderoy
01-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Let us know what Superwinch has to say about replacement. Have you considered synthetic?

I'll probably move to that eventually, but decided I would start with the old stuff.

afbond03
01-02-2010, 11:41 AM
My cable looks like that in a lot of places and it has only been used a few times. I haven't had any issues with it, and most experts have told me I will be fine with it. I am in the market for Synthetic winch line right now though cause it just seems to be so much easier to deal with when winding and unwinding it.

mizedog
01-05-2010, 10:50 AM
I am in the market for Synthetic winch line cause it just seems to be so much easier to deal with when winding and unwinding it.

I'll confirm this. I've gotten bitten by steel cables in the past - even through light leather gloves. When I wound the synth line on my new cheapy winch for the first time, I just used my bare hands. No friction-induced heat, not fish hooks, and it was easy to regulate the tension on the line without it wanting to pull my hand into the winch. I was also amazed at how light the cable was! I hope this isn't a sign of cheap quality.

Mudderoy
01-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Hey is it also normal for the steel cable to mark up the rollers?

4.3LXJ
01-06-2010, 03:02 PM
:( Yes unfortunately

rguignard
01-16-2010, 08:29 AM
hay mudd look at this i found it on naxja http://www.amsteelblue.com/index.cfm i think the prices are pretty good

Mudderoy
01-16-2010, 09:48 AM
hay mudd look at this i found it on naxja http://www.amsteelblue.com/index.cfm i think the prices are pretty good

Thanks. I'm still learning what I'm looking at. It will be a while before I switch over though. I got cable on purpose.

BlueXJ
01-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Great prices and longer line too.