PDA

View Full Version : What plans do you have for your XJ in 2010?

Mudderoy
01-01-2010, 10:00 AM
I know many of you are either unemployed of fearful that what little money you are earning may end at any time. I was concerned that at the end of October (last year) I was going to be looking for a job. That didn't happen and I pulled the trigger on a winch, it was god awful cheap.

So I'm just curious, what are you looking to upgrade, replace, repair on your XJ this year? Just the things you want to accomplish with in the next year.

After my recent off road adventure, I think I'm switching from my SYE plans to some beefer front end parts. Tie rod for sure. If things work out well hopefully the front end parts, SYE and those yummy slyders and frame stiffeners from Detours.

I may get the diamond plate rocker panel protection installed as well.

firehawk
01-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Well let's see....Ummmmm....Uh.... a trackbar! Yeah, that's it a trackbar.:D I WAS looking at Rough Country's longarm conversion, but that, IF it happens will have to wait.:sad0147:

4.3LXJ
01-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Ah, where to start.

Hopefully today I will get it started. It has been a long project. I have redone everything with the engine, tranny and transfer case. Been trying to get it going for a month now. Had to replace the computer. The "rebuild" was completely toast and throwing lots of codes that weren't really there. It wants to run, but wont. I got a master mechanic friend out here yesterday and we put our heads together and got a little closer, but no cigar yet. Hopefully today is the day.

But, the rest of the year after my digression. I recently put in some RE front coils in place of the SkyJacker coils. They were too stiff. The first thing I will do is tune up my bastard pack. I am going to take it apart and send some of it through the fire and add 3" of free arch to it and pick up a little flex and softer ride to match the RE coils.

I picked up my new rear axle and will start the build on it. Full floating axles, disc brakes and 5.28s and locker. Then start the front axle with ARB and high steer and ram assist. And I am sure there will be some other little things to do along the way. Like a paint job, oh and cutting those fenders for 38s :D

Mudderoy
01-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Ah, where to start.

Hopefully today I will get it started. It has been a long project. I have redone everything with the engine, tranny and transfer case. Been trying to get it going for a month now. Had to replace the computer. The "rebuild" was completely toast and throwing lots of codes that weren't really there. It wants to run, but wont. I got a master mechanic friend out here yesterday and we put our heads together and got a little closer, but no cigar yet. Hopefully today is the day.

But, the rest of the year after my digression. I recently put in some RE front coils in place of the SkyJacker coils. They were too stiff. The first thing I will do is tune up my bastard pack. I am going to take it apart and send some of it through the fire and add 3" of free arch to it and pick up a little flex and softer ride to match the RE coils.

I picked up my new rear axle and will start the build on it. Full floating axles, disc brakes and 5.28s and locker. Then start the front axle with ARB and high steer and ram assist. And I am sure there will be some other little things to do along the way. Like a paint job, oh and cutting those fenders for 38s :D

Man that sounds sweet. What are floating axles? Sounds like a good thing for water crossings! :eek:

4.3LXJ
01-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Man that sounds sweet. What are floating axles? Sounds like a good thing for water crossings! :eek:

No you need water wings for that. :smiley-scared002:

Full floating axles are like the ones in the 3/4 ton D60s. There is a spindle that has two sets of tapered bearings just like the old D30 front axles. The axle goes through it and does not support any weight. It is a stronger set up than what we have which is called semi floating.

Here is the link for the kit I will be using for the T100 axle. It will upgrade me to D60 axle strength. I also plan to cryo treat the axle shafts and gears to add 40% more strength to that.

http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfoscomm/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=94&osCsid=67136836fe855476dfb0501e63714771

cherok
01-01-2010, 02:35 PM
I would like a roofrack with lights on my XJ. I hope I find the money.
http://cache.autoanything.com/images/products/med/roof_racks_bags/surco_safari_roof_rack.jpg

Mudderoy
01-01-2010, 02:56 PM
I would like a roofrack with lights on my XJ. I hope I find the money.
http://cache.autoanything.com/images/products/med/roof_racks_bags/surco_safari_roof_rack.jpg

I hear the economy world wide is bad. Maybe we should start a organization where people can contribute to XJ Jeepers that need funds to build their rigs. I bet we could get Jerry Lewis to do a telethon! :thumbsup:

4.3LXJ
01-01-2010, 04:01 PM
I hear the economy world wide is bad. Maybe we should start a organization where people can contribute to XJ Jeepers that need funds to build their rigs. I bet we could get Jerry Lewis to do a telethon! :thumbsup:

The solution is federal energy tax credits.

We save energy by fixing up old XJs instead of buying brand new rigs. We should get tax credits for it.

xjjeepthing
01-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Hoping to go to about 5.5" of lift, Ion wheels,33x13.50r15 Toyo M/T's and the bushwhackers I bought

Mudderoy
01-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Hoping to go to about 5.5" of lift, Ion wheels,33x13.50r15 Toyo M/T's and the bushwhackers I bought

BTW, I was cleaning the XJ today and about the only damage I got from going to the off road park was on the bushwackers. Scratches, minor and where the rear wheel lugs grabbed and torn the top of the BW, but on the inside of the fender well. I need to bumpstop the rear. I'll get some pictures up so you'll know what to expect.

BlueXJ
01-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Well just before leaving on my holiday trip I developed an overheating problem with the XJ. Replaced the radiator, water pump, fan clutch(GC upgrade) and the thermostat. It overheats at idle while stopped and then cools down nicely once underway again. So my first 2010 task is to find the cause and repair that.
Most of the 2010 plans involve the MJ. 4WD conversion and 4.5" lift on longarms to start.
I have everything for the conversion but still aquiring lift parts.
Just a start of proposed 2010 projects.

xjjeepthing
01-01-2010, 07:25 PM
BTW, I was cleaning the XJ today and about the only damage I got from going to the off road park was on the bushwackers. Scratches, minor and where the rear wheel lugs grabbed and torn the top of the BW, but on the inside of the fender well. I need to bumpstop the rear. I'll get some pictures up so you'll know what to expect.

Thats why I'm still 50/50 on putting them on

zr2toxj
01-01-2010, 09:52 PM
I hope within a week or so to get my front ARB & 4.56's installed and have the rear checked out.

I'm in the process of bartering some electrical work for a set of sliders, skid plates and front winch bumper.

I've also been holding off because I had to take a cut in pay & benefits lately.

Mudderoy
01-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Well just before leaving on my holiday trip I developed an overheating problem with the XJ. Replaced the radiator, water pump, fan clutch(GC upgrade) and the thermostat. It overheats at idle while stopped and then cools down nicely once underway again. So my first 2010 task is to find the cause and repair that.
Most of the 2010 plans involve the MJ. 4WD conversion and 4.5" lift on longarms to start.
I have everything for the conversion but still aquiring lift parts.
Just a start of proposed 2010 projects.

I'm anxious to see the MJ build progress.

Mudderoy
01-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Thats why I'm still 50/50 on putting them on

I consider the damage to be very minor, and only noticeable to overly observant owners, like me.

jfxj67
01-01-2010, 11:36 PM
I still haven't received the Header that i've ordered, but that's first on my hit list! Shortly after this install, i will be replacing my entire Exhaust.

Not 'til early spring will i be taking on "The Big Job"! My long overdue 4WD Conversion!

Still need to find a Donor Rig Still. I'm obviously pretty jazzed about this project... and by the way, i'm not in the least bit scared!

Mudderoy
01-02-2010, 12:45 AM
I still haven't received the Header that i've ordered, but that's first on my hit list! Shortly after this install, i will be replacing my entire Exhaust.

Not 'til early spring will i be taking on "The Big Job"! My long overdue 4WD Conversion!

Still need to find a Donor Rig Still. I'm obviously pretty jazzed about this project... and by the way, i'm not in the least bit scared!

I'm very interested in the conversion. I may be getting my daughters a XJ and if I do the 2WD are easier to find than the 4WD models.

4.3LXJ
01-02-2010, 01:11 AM
I'm very interested in the conversion. I may be getting my daughters a XJ and if I do the 2WD are easier to find than the 4WD models.

That is interesting. Around here, I have yet to see one anywhere.

Mudderoy
01-02-2010, 01:15 AM
That is interesting. Around here, I have yet to see one anywhere.

2wd, 4wd, or XJs? Everytime I see an XJ I look for the 4x4 logo on the rear quarter panel, and I'd say it's about 5 to 1 in favor of the NO logo (2WD).

4.3LXJ
01-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Lots of XJs. No 2WD though. The only 2WD we run into are Comanches

Some of the plain Jane XJs don't have any markings on them. You have to look for the front differential.

Mudderoy
01-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Lots of XJs. No 2WD though. The only 2WD we run into are Comanches

Some of the plain Jane XJs don't have any markings on them. You have to look for the front differential.

Maybe people look at 4x4s differently here. I know in the past I've spoken to people about the virtues of 4 wheel drives and they'd say "What do I need a 4x4 for?" My comment was "RAIN".

lol I recall saying to myself several times when seeing a like new looking XJ then seeing it was 2WD, "What a shame..."

rguignard
01-02-2010, 10:46 AM
lift and tires, finish my bumpers, winch, sliders, gas tank skid, wheel bearing, upgrade steering and go wheel it before, during and after man i got a lot to do :stars:forgot rebuild my locker

Mudderoy
01-02-2010, 11:40 AM
lift and tires, finish my bumpers, winch, sliders, gas tank skid, wheel bearing, upgrade steering and go wheel it before, during and after man i got a lot to do :stars:forgot rebuild my locker

lol, remove the steering wheel and drive a new jeep under it?

Yeah I know the feeling, theres stuff I need to do that isn't visible. I know they are important but I love the stuff you can see.

cheap jeep
01-02-2010, 07:20 PM
On mine, I'm going to replace the 231t-case with a242t -case and probably afew other simple mods.

Indiana Jeep
01-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Fold up the rear corners, not that I really need to, I just like the way they look. I'll be needing some new tires, and thinking of putting some vents in the hood.

afbond03
01-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Synthetic Winch Line.
Upgrade rear axle to 8.25 or D44.
Buy a C02 Bottle since I sold my VIAIR kit.
Gear F&R.
Lock F&R.
Steering Upgrade. Something like ORO U-Turn.
Rear Tire Carrier Bumper.
Then hopefully at this time next year I will be looking towards a T&T kit.
I really like my 3in budget boost lift. The COG is fantastic but I think after I have all of those things done I will be ready to go higher.

tbone
01-02-2010, 08:33 PM
I have so much to do, install header, get winch bumper and install, new tires, get lifted, convert to open cooling system, trim fenders, do the boatside rockers, maybe I need 2 years to get it all done. lol :rotfl2:

pvt.Tadpol xj
01-02-2010, 09:27 PM
I have so many great ideas. Too many to list. Cherokees have so many I"m not sure what the right word is. Maybe options, but i need to get my cowl induction hood on, it is just sitting in the garage, and I want to start some of the upolstery upgrades..I can"t wait....:rolleyes:

rguignard
01-02-2010, 09:42 PM
lol, remove the steering wheel and drive a new jeep under it?

Yeah I know the feeling, theres stuff I need to do that isn't visible. I know they are important but I love the stuff you can see.

that would be faster :smiley-laughing021:new one today drove home in 4high but i thought i was in 2 wheel drive with a 242 i sure hope i didnt hurt it

Mudderoy
01-03-2010, 12:26 AM
that would be faster :smiley-laughing021:new one today drove home in 4high but i thought i was in 2 wheel drive with a 242 i sure hope i didnt hurt it

If you have fluid in the 242 and you didn't hear popping from the tcase in turns, you're probably ok. Did you try that thing where you put the transmission in neutral at about 20 mph then move the tcase selector from full time to 2wd hi? That's how I get mine out of full time everytime now, thanks for a few members with 242s here.

rguignard
01-03-2010, 08:12 AM
If you have fluid in the 242 and you didn't hear popping from the tcase in turns, you're probably ok. Did you try that thing where you put the transmission in neutral at about 20 mph then move the tcase selector from full time to 2wd hi? That's how I get mine out of full time everytime now, thanks for a few members with 242s here.

no but ill try it next time i got it out by going into rev and backing up about 10 feet then the light went out and it was in 2wd im going to go out and put it in 4 low today and see if it works ok :cheerleader:this is the 2nd 242 i put in it .

cheap jeep
01-03-2010, 05:46 PM
What problems did you have with the first 242? I have been thinking about installing one in mine. Thanks in advance.

Melissa
01-03-2010, 08:42 PM
My 2010 plans for my jeep is................................make sure the motor stays running!!!! :headbag:

rguignard
01-04-2010, 11:32 AM
What problems did you have with the first 242? I have been thinking about installing one in mine. Thanks in advance.

no atf in it :sad0147: me bad

Mudderoy
01-04-2010, 12:27 PM
no atf in it :sad0147: me bad

Crack in the case, bad front or rear seal?

rguignard
01-05-2010, 01:29 PM

all the above :shocker:

cantab27
01-06-2010, 01:23 PM
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/Image106.jpg frist up sliders to help stop this ..then 33s winch and hopfully throw a locker in the front........:thumbsup:

d0nt_h8
01-09-2010, 11:47 PM
http://shookweb.us/01-09-10-1.jpg

2010: Adjustable coil over spacers, new shocks, new double steering damper units, a cargo-area hard shelf, and some damn seat covers.

oderdene
01-10-2010, 05:03 AM
roof rack, rear tire carrier, rock slider, rear D35c locker, winch, lights on bumper and roof rack, wheels, fender trim, u-joints for both driveshaft, rear 9" brake overhaul, front springs, shocks, BPEs ....

rguignard
01-13-2010, 05:00 PM

btw its all good nothing broke :D

Mudderoy
01-13-2010, 07:19 PM
btw its all good nothing broke :D

You mean the locker? I thought you said the tcase was trashed.

finneys98xj
01-18-2010, 10:44 PM
I dont have any plans for mine but to put a drive shaft on it, since mine is a farm vechile for the moment it maybe getting stuff here and there.
But the big plans are for POPS98XJ jeep. By the way he is my father.
I ordered him some tow hooks which are coming soon. Tax time he is getting a 3in lift cause the shocks are shot and we pull a boat and trailer with it, so we plan on killing 2 birds with one stone with the lift. Then we found plans \for a nice looking homemade roof basket that we are going to build. He wants to do lockers but that probably want happen this year.