PDA

View Full Version : RC Crawler Question

2000XJ
12-31-2009, 09:28 AM
So I know that some of you guys are into RC Crawlers. I've been hooked since I "test drove" my friends some months back, but it just never fit into my budget. Now I'm ready to make a purchase and am looking for some opinions. I don't want to get a kit and build it myself, I'm not going to lie - I want the instant gratification of crawling with it ASAP :rofl:

I'm highly considering this one on Ebay CLICK HERE FOR LINK

I asked the seller the following questions, and received the following answers:

1. I just want to confirm that there is a reverse gear on the
motor. Also, does the motor have braking?

Yes it has Reverse and yes it has braking.

2. Does this auction also include a battery charger for the
batteries that you stated are included?

There is no charger, That is all it is missing.

3. I know that you're including three batteries in this auction,
what type of batteries are they?

The batteries are all 7.2 volt

4. I'm assuming that the remote included in the auction is
programmed for the vehicle, correct?

Yes the remote is programed for the vehicle. It has been upgraded for four wheel steering.

5. Is the crawler ready to "crawl"? Are there any known
problems? Does it need any maintenance done on it? Are any of
the parts worn out/need replacing?

It is ready to run. No known problems and no worn parts. Everything works. No maintenance is needed.

So my questions to you guys are:

1. How much is a battery charger going to run me?

2. Where can I purchase said battery charger?

3. What are your general opinions of this crawler? Is it a good buy?

alwaysxj
12-31-2009, 10:45 AM
So I know that some of you guys are into RC Crawlers. I've been hooked since I "test drove" my friends some months back, but it just never fit into my budget. Now I'm ready to make a purchase and am looking for some opinions. I don't want to get a kit and build it myself, I'm not going to lie - I want the instant gratification of crawling with it ASAP :rofl:

I'm highly considering this one on Ebay CLICK HERE FOR LINK (http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Jeep-complete-2-2-crawler-RTR_W0QQitemZ220532022393QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_ Control_Vehicles?hash=item3358bb9c79)

I asked the seller the following questions, and received the following answers:

So my questions to you guys are:

1. How much is a battery charger going to run me?

2. Where can I purchase said battery charger?

3. What are your general opinions of this crawler? Is it a good buy?

this is a good base to start it has some good stuff on it the bender chasis is about $100 just by it's selt then the front servo is about $80 so this is not a bad deal the only concern i see is i don't like the axles it has i would go with the ax 10 axels. you can get a charger from any where to $30 to $200 just depending on what you want your charger to do the nicer the charger the longer your batts will last. oh and you can get them at any local hobby shop. if you are going to pay for shipping check out this web site it is a local one for me but they have alot of crawlers on it just go to toys and type in rc crawlers. www.ksl.com And for the braking the motor is not the one that has the braking it is the esc that has that and i know that any novak esc will come with it. if you have a local hobby shop i would get a stock ax-10 and then get a new motor if you do this i run a novak 55 turn they are about $60 for the motor and i think the car goes for $199 then you have to get batts and a charger so you will be out about $300 to $400 for a new crawler.
i have been ito this for about two years so if you have any question or would like me to look at one that you have found i would be happy to help you out.

alwaysxj
12-31-2009, 10:49 AM
this one is a dang good deal.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=8913773&cat=386&lpid=1
this one is all you would ever need.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=9183570&cat=386&lpid=0

2000XJ
12-31-2009, 11:51 AM
Would I be making a mistake if I bought this car with these axles? Are they something that I can run with now until I decide to swap to other axles?

Is TLT stuff not good? If you're concerned about the axles (which are TLT), are you also concerned about the trans (also made by TLT)?

As for the braking, it says that it comes with the Super Rooster ESC. Is this the same Novak unit that you referred to? If so, is this something dependable and good to use?

My goal is to get into the RC Crawler world with something that is ready-to-run, but at the same time, something that I can tinker with and modify as I go. I also think that it would be cheaper for me to have something that runs that I can modify as I go, than to buy a kit, or acquire the parts necessary to build one from scratch.

Thanks for the links. Those are definitely some badass RC Crawlers. I think for now I want to stick with something that looks like a Jeep before I just into a more extreme category. I know I sound corny :lame:

Thanks so much for your help so far, I'm a bit clueless when it comes to RC Crawlers yet. Regardless of how much time I spend reading about it, I just don't fully know how to make it make sense in my head yet - this is just another reason I want something that runs, I'm a visual learner.

EDIT: Any thoughts on this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/1-10-Rock-Crawler-4wd-4ws-Electric-RC-Truck-Rock-Slide_W0QQitemZ320469047601QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadi o_Control_Vehicles?hash=item4a9d719931

I know it's a bit more than what I mentioned I was looking for above, but it's half the price. I know it has dual motors, so would the speed control be an issue with it? It looks a bit plasticky, as well as very tall and high COG. Seems like it may not be too much fun since it may roll often?

I'm open to all opinions, I don't get insulted easily :D

alwaysxj
12-31-2009, 12:28 PM
the oly think i see is with the tlt thes are the older style crawler so if you brake a part it might be harder to find parts for them. that is the only resone i would go with a newer brand like axial they are a dang good brand and cheap replacement parts. the other think i see with like the jeep bodys is they are more of a scale rig and do not have as much flex and a crawler. i first got a jeep body crawler like the one you are looking at i had it for a week and sold it to get a axial and loved it. this is the same one that i had you cannot go wrong with these. http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=231&sid=74268&cat=386&sort=&nocache=1&search=rc+crawler&zip=any&distance=&min_price=any&max_price=any&type=&x=16&y=16

and i think the guy has the novak esc it is called a rooster esc so that would be great to have they are nice. hope this helps you out. sorry i like to just ramble on hope it makes sense.

2000XJ
12-31-2009, 01:37 PM
the oly think i see is with the tlt thes are the older style crawler so if you brake a part it might be harder to find parts for them. that is the only resone i would go with a newer brand like axial they are a dang good brand and cheap replacement parts. the other think i see with like the jeep bodys is they are more of a scale rig and do not have as much flex and a crawler. i first got a jeep body crawler like the one you are looking at i had it for a week and sold it to get a axial and loved it. this is the same one that i had you cannot go wrong with these. http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=231&sid=74268&cat=386&sort=&nocache=1&search=rc+crawler&zip=any&distance=&min_price=any&max_price=any&type=&x=16&y=16

and i think the guy has the novak esc it is called a rooster esc so that would be great to have they are nice. hope this helps you out. sorry i like to just ramble on hope it makes sense.

You're definitely not rambling! I need all the advice I can get :boohoo:

I definitely hear you on the lack of support for parts should I break something - that makes alot of sense. I have a couple friends that used to run TLT stuff and have parts lying around, so it may not be such a huge issue at the moment, and knowing myself, I'll probably be upgrading within the next 6 months.

I was looking at the Axial AX10 Scorpion RTC. I've found it in a couple places where they are offering it about $275 shipped to my area. I may go down that route like you said. The idea of having a RTC rig with a good reputation, and good parts support will probably make a big difference. I can also justify spending $10 more on a brand new rig instead of getting into a used rig, with older parts, that I'd still have to buy a charger for.

I got on the RC Crawler forum and decided to scratch the Rock Slide idea - no one seems to like it and it got negative reviews.

alwaysxj
12-31-2009, 01:51 PM
You're definitely not rambling! I need all the advice I can get :boohoo:

I definitely hear you on the lack of support for parts should I break something - that makes alot of sense. I have a couple friends that used to run TLT stuff and have parts lying around, so it may not be such a huge issue at the moment, and knowing myself, I'll probably be upgrading within the next 6 months.

I was looking at the Axial AX10 Scorpion RTC. I've found it in a couple places where they are offering it about $275 shipped to my area. I may go down that route like you said. The idea of having a RTC rig with a good reputation, and good parts support will probably make a big difference. I can also justify spending $10 more on a brand new rig instead of getting into a used rig, with older parts, that I'd still have to buy a charger for.

I got on the RC Crawler forum and decided to scratch the Rock Slide idea - no one seems to like it and it got negative reviews.

i would say go with the AX10 you will want to get new tires they suck but that can be down the road. if you get one new you will have to get a new motor like i said get a 55 turn the stock one it to fast. also on the ax10 i would say up grade to full metal links and steering. they come with plastic links i broke my links after about 10 min of driving it and the stock seering lasted about 6 months i up graded the servo and the steering at that time the stock servo is good but it does not have enough power to power through things get a full metal servo when you get one, if you want to look for parts or a full kit car check out this http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ or a brand named venom they make good stuff.

alwaysxj
12-31-2009, 02:27 PM
this right here is the best deal you will find it comes with the metal links already if you get one i would get this. http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=298

2000XJ
01-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Damn, that would've been a great deal.... to bad it's sold out :( I'm going to keep an eye on it though, see if they get more in stock.

xjjeepthing
01-03-2010, 02:16 PM
I have been looking at crawlers myself. Been looking at the Axial AX0and the Losi Comp Crawler. I raced Carpet Cars (pan) and Offroad Trucks for a long time. Sold everything a few years ago. Would love to get back in the Crawler stuff
http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/Press-Releases/04-07/AX10.htm
http://www.losi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSA0051

BlueXJ
01-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Last thing I had like that was a slot car racer back when electricity was a new phenomena.