PDA

View Full Version : Replacement key

EtronX
05-04-2020, 07:15 AM
When I bought the car it only came with one key. Today I checked the price for an extra key. That will set me back almost $ 300 [emoji37] Blody ridiculous price.

There is anti theft protection in the car. The key is coded. Does anyone know if there is a cheaper way of getting a new key? Is it possible to disconnect the anti theft protection?

Sent from my Commodore 64

4.3LXJ
05-04-2020, 09:49 AM
In the US there are locksmiths that can come up with coded keys cheaper. Not sure about that in Europe. They cannot do all of them, but many advertise that they can.

EtronX
05-04-2020, 10:46 AM
Roger that.I'll check with my local locksmith.

Mudderoy
05-04-2020, 01:31 PM
It's not my favorite solutions, but you can tape the key someone close to the ignition tumbler and then use keys cut for the lock. The Jeep wouldn't start without the key but it could be started with a hammer and screwdriver. ;)

At least this way you're not as likely to lose the key with the transponder in it.

When I bought the car it only came with one key. Today I checked the price for an extra key. That will set me back almost $ 300 [emoji37] Blody ridiculous price.

There is anti theft protection in the car. The key is coded. Does anyone know if there is a cheaper way of getting a new key? Is it possible to disconnect the anti theft protection?

EtronX
05-04-2020, 02:07 PM
It's not my favorite solutions, but you can tape the key someone close to the ignition tumbler and then use keys cut for the lock. The Jeep wouldn't start without the key but it could be started with a hammer and screwdriver. ;)

At least this way you're not as likely to lose the key with the transponder in it.

Thanks for the reply. In these neck of the woods I am not to frightened about theft.

EtronX
05-12-2020, 10:20 AM
My local locksmith could clone my current key. $200 for two new keys. I’ll go with that [emoji1303]