PDA

View Full Version : ARB Locker

Mudderoy
10-24-2019, 12:28 AM
Over a year ago I had the ARB air locker installed in my Chrysler 8.25

They told me to get the right bolts for my RuffStuff diff cover, hmm still need to do that. lol

After installing an on board air system, with the exception of running the power line and my trip to Big Bear California where I got to use a pair of ARB air lockers I decided to go with a dedicated ARB air compressor for the lockers (still have one to install) and use the on board air for airing up the tires. Still gotta run that power line. The real hard part is connecting to the overhead switch panel.

Well color me impressed! No leaks and worked great, or so I thought. Monday morning when I headed to work I was locked. Parking garage was especially fun. I now know a new way to slow down with breaks, just lock the rear and start doing "S" turns. Turns out the solenoid is directional, didn't see anything about it in the instructions. I pulled the air line so I could get unlocked for the drive home, then at home I flipped the solenoid over and did a bit of testing. Locks and unlocks now, but I did find out that even unlocked the ARB doesn't unlock instantly, left/right axle torque needs to be the same, a.k.a. driving in a straight line. Makes sense, but didn't know it until I was able to toggle the lock.

Here's how I ran the air line. What you can't see is the 1/2" split loom that is run from the solenoid all the way back near where the extended brake line connects to the unibody. I don't think I really needed the loop but I thought I'd go with trying to keep the line in a gentle curve and straight into the pumpkin.

Heading to Gilmar this weekend to Barnwell to try everything out. Cold front hits day before, so I think I'll make it without overheating on the driveway!!!

4.3LXJ
10-24-2019, 01:02 PM
Glad to see you are getting out. You have been missing all the fun staying home

Mudderoy
10-31-2019, 12:11 PM

4.3LXJ
10-31-2019, 12:56 PM
So you got to try it out eh? How about a trip report?

Mudderoy
11-01-2019, 09:34 PM
Worked great. I didn't have much reason to use it but had to flip it on a couple of times. I got stuck in a small rock pit and no amount of locker or speed was able to get me out. After I was pulled out and tried to drive away I could just hear spinning and had no forward movement. I feared the worse, but turned out the Atlas wasn't in 4lo anymore, it was in 2lo, and front 2lo. So I was stuck in the pit in front wheel drive, with just one active wheel. :S

I pushed the rear lever forward about 1/2" and everything was back to normal. That's one of the reasons to try out the equipment, to learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd180qHXdbw

4.3LXJ
11-02-2019, 12:29 AM
It is hard to slip an Atlas out. You might need to adjust that linkage a little so it fully engages

Mudderoy
11-03-2019, 05:52 PM
Yep, I'll have to take a look. I made a cover plate to fit in the NP241 cover that has popped out. Combo of wires and that plate may have kept it from going all the way in. Of course my lack of using it may be the problem too. It's just so smooth, as compared to a NP242, or NP231, it's kinda of hard to know if it's all the way in. I'm sure it was engaged the rest of the time. It was too sloppy out there to get any traction otherwise.

I am anxious to get the front ARB, long arms and get a bunch of stuff welded up. I'm still very happy with the way it performed.

4.3LXJ
11-04-2019, 01:34 AM
Yup, you are spoiled now

Mudderoy
11-04-2019, 03:42 AM
I was spoiled when I drove that TJ on37's and RockJock 60's in Big Bear Lake. ;)

4.3LXJ
11-04-2019, 12:28 PM
That would do it too