PDA

View Full Version : Winter Weather

Melissa
12-11-2009, 01:49 AM
What does everyone do to prepare for the snow months and the cold temps??

I know for some this is not a concern as your the temps never get really cold, but for me this is a yearly battle and I just would like to know what everyone does, maybe you have a better way that might come in handy to others and me.

I am pretty standard (I think), I wrap all water pipes that might be in danger of freezing, string extension cords and power up some water tank heaters for my livestock, make sure all garden hoses and irrigation pipes are blown out so there is no water left in them to freeze up, I string heat lamps in the dog kennel and stuff their dog houses with straw, I of course have to start plugging in my ol' diesel truck, and I tarp everything that I don't want wet from snow. I never have put studs on any of my rigs, but I do start them up everyday when the temps are really cold like they have been for the past week.

I'm sure I am forgetting things, but thats what I have been doing so far.

So.........What do you all do??

Mudderoy
12-11-2009, 02:09 AM
I'd gather up 65 metric tons of tumbleweeds and set them on fire. :smiley-laughing021:

Melissa
12-11-2009, 02:16 AM
I'd gather up 65 metric tons of tumbleweeds and set them on fire. :smiley-laughing021:

That happens in the spring, when it's spring clean up :thumbsup:

BlueXJ
12-11-2009, 09:00 AM
It has been very cold here (54) So I prepared by putting on a long sleeved shirt, of which I have very few. Turned the switch on the thermostat to heat from A/C and made coffee.

Mudderoy
12-11-2009, 09:04 AM
It has been very cold here (54) So I prepared by putting on a long sleeved shirt, of which I have very few. Turned the switch on the thermostat to heat from A/C and made coffee.

I've got about 6 long sleeved shirts. I've been wearing them a lot lately. I still cannot stand to have the sleeves all the way down though. I fold them up about mid arm.

BlueXJ
12-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Yeah I know the feeling. My wris****ch snags on anything with long sleeves when putting them on. I hate that too.

Mudderoy
12-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Yeah I know the feeling. My wris****ch snags on anything with long sleeves when putting them on. I hate that too.

Actually mine is more of a long arm problem. I have to get a specific length arm and neck size for shirts to fit me properly. My arms are a little longer than normal (apparently). A bit of the gorilla DNA in me I guess. :D

Indiana Jeep
12-11-2009, 04:31 PM
A thick blanket, sweatshirt and long underwear, and a couple pairs of socks and handwarmers get tossed in a bag in the backseat. Some jerky and dried fruit in their too. Put a snow shovel on the rack, and I'm ready to play in the snow.

warrpath4x4
12-11-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm with you mel, tank heaters, block heaters, thermal tops (can't stand wearing long unders), double check the coolant in all the rigs, I've already got the firewood in the shop.

Melissa
12-13-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm with you mel, tank heaters, block heaters, thermal tops (can't stand wearing long unders), double check the coolant in all the rigs, I've already got the firewood in the shop.

Got the snow today too warrpath?? At least it's warmed up some along with the snow fall :thumbsup:

I can't stand to wear the thermal unders either, but I do have my thermal top on today. Do you do anything special to your Jeep in these colder temps??

XJcoupe
12-13-2009, 10:15 PM
colder temps up north here forces me to put on the plow frame and get read for SNOW- no- haha

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo313/xjcoupe/Build%20Pics/30162410014_large.jpg

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo313/xjcoupe/Build%20Pics/30162410016_large.jpg

warrpath4x4
12-13-2009, 11:25 PM
Got the snow today too warrpath?? At least it's warmed up some along with the snow fall :thumbsup:

I can't stand to wear the thermal unders either, but I do have my thermal top on today. Do you do anything special to your Jeep in these colder temps??

not really, just put theback of the jeep into the wind when i park it, change the oil to a lighter weight.

Melissa
12-14-2009, 03:29 AM
colder temps up north here forces me to put on the plow frame and get read for SNOW- no- haha

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo313/xjcoupe/Build%20Pics/30162410014_large.jpg

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo313/xjcoupe/Build%20Pics/30162410016_large.jpg

I'd like your set up, looks good :thumbsup:

not really, just put theback of the jeep into the wind when i park it, change the oil to a lighter weight.

I'll have to try parking the jeep butt to the wind, does it make any difference??

mizedog
12-14-2009, 03:33 PM
This year I was late putting styrofoam covers over the garden hose spiggots. We had -30* wind chill last week with 40mph winds from the north. One of my bathroom sinks shares a cold water supply with the north-facing spiggot. The pipes froze. Luckily, I got down in the crawl spaces with a hair dryer and some insulation before the pipes burst. I have a $2.00 styrofoam cover that should really help too.

Indiana Jeep
12-14-2009, 05:18 PM
To be honest I am not sure if it makes a big difference but in the winter I usually pull in front first (I don't know why but I've always liked to back in through the summer) and get as close to the garage door as possible (it's full of family storage so can't park in it) I've never had a problem starting up the XJ. It just seemed like it would be better to keep the engine out of the wind as much as possible. But I really don't know if it is having an affect on anything.:stars: