PDA

View Full Version : Tail light guard questions

demonworks
12-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Ok so from the questions i have asked so far I'm impressed with the responses. Now can anybody show me how tail light guards mount up? Do they just bolt over the factory light mount tabs? Are they on all the light mounting tabs (4) (1990 and older square style cherokee tail lights). Any pictures I can see for referances. I'm in process of fabbing my own version but heavy duty and keep hearing that they were flimsy in design for protection. ANY HELP OR IDEAS WOULD BE APPRECIATED:)

Mudderoy
12-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Ok so from the questions i have asked so far I'm impressed with the responses. Now can anybody show me how tail light guards mount up? Do they just bolt over the factory light mount tabs? Are they on all the light mounting tabs (4) (1990 and older square style cherokee tail lights). Any pictures I can see for referances. I'm in process of fabbing my own version but heavy duty and keep hearing that they were flimsy in design for protection. ANY HELP OR IDEAS WOULD BE APPRECIATED:)

If you are talking about something that bolts over the tail lights, I think those are good for brush, maybe a lite touch from a tree limb, but to really get protection you need to replace the plastic with steel. JCR has some really nice ones. They posted them up here. They use LED lights. They even have tail lights with rear quarter plate armor. May be more than what you are looking for, but definitely on the wow-o-meter scale.

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/XJtaillightboxesDesc.jpg

:link: (http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1817)

demonworks
12-11-2009, 09:32 AM
I've seen those before but unfourtunatly I can not get away with one spending that kinda money and two in the state of maine they severly frown on modifing your tail lights unless its with a Department of Transportation approved piece. Alot of people do it and get away with it.... I however dont have that kinda luck. I Really like the look of the factory tail lights just want some protection, I dont do alot of hard core offroading anyways so I couldnt justify the expense.Thank you for the option help though.

Mudderoy
12-11-2009, 09:35 AM
I've seen those before but unfourtunatly I can not get away with one spending that kinda money and two in the state of maine they severly frown on modifing your tail lights unless its with a Department of Transportation approved piece. Alot of people do it and get away with it.... I however dont have that kinda luck. I Really like the look of the factory tail lights just want some protection, I dont do alot of hard core offroading anyways so I couldnt justify the expense.Thank you for the option help though.

Yeah I knew it wasn't exactly what you were asking for but I thought this might work better for you. I believe the LED lights used are DOT approved, so I'm thinking it would meet state requirements.

Let me know what you come up with, I'd like to see.

demonworks
12-11-2009, 09:42 AM
I will I have the outter frames roughed out in the garage now. Just gotta pull the trigger on the welder and commit to the design. I still need to design the mounts for them though. I think I have a plan but its still stuck in my head not on paper yet. I'm going to take pics through out so i can let everyone see what I did. I'll keep you posted.

Indiana Jeep
12-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Waag offers some that simple use the same bolts that hold your tail lights on. I like the way they look and they go well with the Waag brush guard and rear bumper guard. www.Waag.com Rear bumper guard was more for looks than anything, but it was funny watching a guy in a Honda smash a headlight against it without any damage to my jeep other than a couple scratches on the guard. He was mad but it was his own fault.

Mudderoy
12-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Waag offers some that simple use the same bolts that hold your tail lights on. I like the way they look and they go well with the Waag brush guard and rear bumper guard. www.Waag.com Rear bumper guard was more for looks than anything, but it was funny watching a guy in a Honda smash a headlight against it without any damage to my jeep other than a couple scratches on the guard. He was mad but it was his own fault.

No prices on the site. Do you have the tail light guards? How much? Pictures on your Jeep?

Indiana Jeep
12-11-2009, 09:10 PM
I can't remember how much they were, I put them on a few years ago. You can see them in one of the pics I put up in the album "Yakima Load Warrior Basket" Not the best shot of em though. I'll get some closer ones tomorrow and post them.:camera: