PDA

View Full Version : XJ Under dash lighting

Mudderoy
03-27-2019, 08:04 AM
There's no reason this additional, or replacement lighting can't be done in any 12 volt vehicle, but so far I've only tried it in an XJ (1984 - 2001 Jeep Cherokee)

https://amzn.to/2HGyzcV

Several years ago I replace the incandescent bulb that came with the Jeep with a LED "bulb" but after recently adding under cabinet lighting in our kitchen I thought I'd try the same thing in my Jeep.

As you may know LED's are very bright, very cheap, and run off of 12 volts. Our Jeep runs off of 12 volts, but only when the alternator isn't turning. 13.8 volts is the running voltage, but is this too much voltage for the LED lighting strips? Well I'm going to find out.

Attaching the light strip to a power source is very simple, you just attach it to the same wires that power the bulb receptacle.

Attaching the physical strip turned out to be more challenging. These LEDs are warm and this isn't very good for the 3M tape that I attached to the back. Right now I just have a zip tie holding it, but I believe epoxy will be in my future plans.

4.3LXJ
03-27-2019, 10:25 AM
So they work off 12V without any adapters?

Mudderoy
03-27-2019, 11:32 AM
So they work off 12V without any adapters?

Correct

4.3LXJ
03-27-2019, 02:46 PM
Good to know. I have done some daydreaming about using them for interior lights

Mudderoy
03-27-2019, 02:48 PM
Good to know. I have done some daydreaming about using them for interior lights

These are waterproof so they could be used on the outside as well. You know but for the others reading, fuse everything!

downsy
03-28-2019, 09:52 AM
I've had 4 or 5 16 foot spools of those Cheap LED rope lights for about 6 years now. They have been awesome. I mostly use them for camp lighting but trimmed a few down to use as undercarriage lighting that I still haven't put in yet lol.

denverd1
03-28-2019, 11:22 AM
these too flimsy to use for rock lights?

Mudderoy
03-28-2019, 11:24 AM

Don't think so but I need to try them on the outside, and see how bright they are.

4.3LXJ
03-28-2019, 11:25 AM

I was daydreaming about that too

Mudderoy
03-28-2019, 11:35 AM
I have a lot left. I'll try to get some shots with it under my Jeep.

prerunner1982
03-28-2019, 01:22 PM
Looks good Tony,

downsy
03-28-2019, 06:36 PM
These are the ones i use for camp. About 50 yards away in this picture. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190328/1657673381f84ab69865d6ae1f0bf351.jpg

The hardest part is figuring out how to attach them the stickum on the back isnt strong enough. Im going to try some all weather superglue.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Mudderoy
03-29-2019, 06:31 AM
Yep, the LED technology is amazing, to me.

XJ Wheeler
03-29-2019, 01:23 PM
I can find a pic on my phone but I've had some like this, albeit shorter sections you buy as a kit at the auto parts, on the inside of each fender flare. They're just stuck on right behind the edge and are so slim are not visible. I do have them in blue (I was young...) so not the best color to tell but are no where near bright enough for rock lights with the 12-16" sections I have. But the adhesive has help up great for the approximate 8-9 years I've had them in there.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

denverd1
04-03-2019, 03:23 PM
I can find a pic on my phone but I've had some like this, albeit shorter sections you buy as a kit at the auto parts, on the inside of each fender flare. They're just stuck on right behind the edge and are so slim are not visible. I do have them in blue (I was young...) so not the best color to tell but are no where near bright enough for rock lights with the 12-16" sections I have. But the adhesive has help up great for the approximate 8-9 years I've had them in there.

I remember seeing your rig with the mood lighting on! These days, with RGB lighting, you can have it all! Red for V day, green for St. Patty's, purple for Prince's birthday (it's coming up, June 7th!) you get the idea.... I also worry about throwing mud and rocks at them, but if yours are going on 9 years, sounds like they would work.

Still can't decide if this is a good idea or not... for the price, I could order a roll and experiment with them.

seriously, thanks for posting that up, had no idea the stock adhesive would hold up that well....

XJ Wheeler
04-10-2019, 01:23 AM
I remember seeing your rig with the mood lighting on! These days, with RGB lighting, you can have it all! Red for V day, green for St. Patty's, purple for Prince's birthday (it's coming up, June 7th!) you get the idea.... I also worry about throwing mud and rocks at them, but if yours are going on 9 years, sounds like they would work.

Still can't decide if this is a good idea or not... for the price, I could order a roll and experiment with them.

seriously, thanks for posting that up, had no idea the stock adhesive would hold up that well....

Technology is great isn't it! Never before could you celebrate Prince's birthday so fabulously by glowing your undercarriage for all to see in waves of illumescent pride! :D

I do question if the adhesive is the same on the rolls but the surface you're applying it to would matter as well. I applied it to the inside of the flares, a smooth plastic, but something rough or not perfectly smooth even I doubt it would have as good of results.