PDA

View Full Version : Control Arm Skids, bolt on vs. weld on

Mudderoy
12-31-2018, 07:43 AM
I've been looking at cheap insurance for the lower control arm brackets on my Dana 30. Not having a welder I was thinking about getting some bolt on lower control arm skids.

Rock Hard 4x4 has some that I like, but before buying I was wondering if anyone knows a downside to bolt on vs. weld.

4.3LXJ
12-31-2018, 10:17 AM
The only one I can think of is that it won't be quite as strong as weld on, but still much better than what you have now

XJ Wheeler
01-01-2019, 04:29 AM
I always liked the idea of the weld on skids giving some lateral support because the most common issue I've seen is the stock mounts bend to the side together. The mounts I used weld on to the bottoms of the stock mounts and the axle tube on the front of the skid to tie in three sides.

I can see an advantage of the bolt on skids to spread the load and and keep impact from directly hitting the mounts but not much for the bending to the side.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

abebehrmann
01-08-2019, 04:46 PM
Come on up to Dallas and I'd be happy to weld them on with you. Haven't had any extra money to spend on the XJ lately, so maybe I could get that good feeling vicariously.

Smlxjne
01-29-2019, 06:14 AM
Ive done the weld on from synergy manufacturing. Twice. Only down side is if you change out the axle you can’t transfer from on the the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

denverd1
01-29-2019, 01:47 PM
couldn't cut them off? although may be easier and cheap enough to buy another set....

Smlxjne
01-30-2019, 10:35 AM
couldn't cut them off? although may be easier and cheap enough to buy another set....

I guess you could, but I did a full weld job all around on mine, and I think they were $40 at the time. Easier and less time to just buy new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carloxj
02-20-2019, 02:11 AM
Bolt on is fine but weld on is a lot better.