PDA

View Full Version : Unable to open hood... Help?

Crist Clapper
12-01-2018, 12:15 PM
I installed a new hood-latch-cable. Pre-tested its' operation. Shut the hood. Unable to re-open.

Tried:
1) Video on how to release the latches. I am unable to reach them because the skid-plate is in the way. No skid-plate on the exampled Jeep

2) Video on how to release the latches by removing the headlights, remove the two bolts (each-side) that hold the latches. In the video, his hood popped open
Sadly mine did not

Suggestions?

Successful results?

4.3LXJ
12-01-2018, 06:57 PM
I have done it twice. Is the second bolt you are accessing up where you cannot see it? A deep socket on a ratchet worked perfectly for mee

Crist Clapper
12-02-2018, 08:25 AM
I have done it twice. Is the second bolt you are accessing up where you cannot see it? A deep socket on a ratchet worked perfectly for mee

Yeah... Both bolts are out. The hood have popped-up... But it didn't.

I'm now thinking of removing the skid-plate... Reach up between the fan and radiator to release the center latch.

Crist Clapper
12-02-2018, 05:17 PM
- Removed the two bolts behind each of the headlights to release the two end latches.
- Removed the skid-plate.
- Slid a wooden-pole up between the fan and radiator, pushed up on the front-center of the hood
- Hood opened enough for my buddy to open it all the way.

Yeah!

Crist Clapper
12-14-2018, 10:00 AM
Hood-release is way too tight when re-opening the hood. Help?

4.3LXJ
12-14-2018, 10:06 AM
By way too tight, can you pull it? Mine is fairly hard to pull, also the one on our Ford

Crist Clapper
12-14-2018, 10:15 AM
By way too tight, can you pull it? Mine is fairly hard to pull, also the one on our Ford

I hear ya... Compared to other Jeeps with the same... Too tight! :D

4.3LXJ
12-14-2018, 01:11 PM
All I can say is grease everything up

Crist Clapper
12-14-2018, 01:49 PM
Finding this is a two-person job!

So, I engaged a friend to pull/push the hood-release-handle. It appears that, although the cable is fully retracting into its sleeve, there's not enough pull to open both latches.

Attached is a picture of this connection. Notice the kink in the cable, and the hammer-head on the end is not seating properly into its slot.

I can only speculate... Cable stretched? After-market poor-fit/solution?

As a result, I ordered an OEM/NOS cable.

Stay tuned!

4.3LXJ
12-14-2018, 04:46 PM
Crist you can adjust the mechanism with the rods that go from the cable mechanism to the latches. One probably already has a zig zag in it. Just bend that one a little more and put one in the other if it doesn't already have it. When I did mine, I converted from the V6 single latch to the double latch and had to do that to get it to work right. It has been good since

Crist Clapper
12-14-2018, 07:33 PM
Crist you can adjust the mechanism with the rods that go from the cable mechanism to the latches. One probably already has a zig zag in it. Just bend that one a little more and put one in the other if it doesn't already have it. When I did mine, I converted from the V6 single latch to the double latch and had to do that to get it to work right. It has been good since

More good advice... Thanks!

Crist Clapper
12-15-2018, 10:57 AM
To re-test... I snapped pencils into the latches... Pull cable. Both pencils drop-out.

I observe spacers under the latch/spring mechanism. What would be the result if I added addition spacer(s)?

4.3LXJ
12-15-2018, 07:03 PM
That would affect the height of the hood when shut

Crist Clapper
12-16-2018, 05:15 PM
That would affect the height of the hood when shut

Overall... Everything appears to move/release as designed... Until I shut the hood. Do you think by adding additional spacers it would reduce the tension so that the latches would open easier?

4.3LXJ
12-16-2018, 08:41 PM
It is worth a try