PDA

View Full Version : 57 year old lady shoots intruder to protect herself.

Mudderoy
12-10-2009, 02:03 PM
It's a sad day when someone loses their life. Whether it is an accident, or through a series of ill made choices.

YouTube- Raw Video: 911 Records Homeowner Shooting, Killing Intruder

This man lost his life because he broke into a 57 year old ladies house and the lady had a gun.

I have heard some people say that she should have shot to wound. Not had a gun in the first place.

You never shot to wound unless you want the gun taken away from you and used on you. Or it gives the attacker time to pull their own weapon and shoot you.

There is something seriously wrong with a state, town, city, country that keeps you from protecting yourself with deadly force. I couldn't live in New York where you cannot have a gun in your own home.

Thank goodness this ended with the 57 year old lady living.

96xj
12-10-2009, 02:16 PM
well thats sucks and has to be a bad feeling having to shoot someone but you have a right and obligation to protect yourself your family and your house

4.3LXJ
12-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Well, I certainly don't have any sympathy for that idiot breaking into a house that he knew was occupied. One good thing is that 911 was not trying to blame her or tag her for murder. It was righteous and she was not at fault.

Silly Willy
12-10-2009, 09:29 PM
I feel you should be able to do what it takes to protect yourself. That lady was lucky she had the gun and knew how to use it to protect herself.

I agree that the guy was stupid breaking into an occupied house.

Melissa
12-11-2009, 02:01 AM
Good for her, she did the right thing, protect yourself.

A friend of mine got divorced from her husband after years of trying to get him off drugs. Well one night a month ago he got all drugged up and broke into her house and said he was going to kill her. While on the phone with 911 she told her ex to get out or she was going to shoot him, he kept comming at her, she shot him in the arm, he kept comming, she shot him in the leg, he kept comming, finally she shot and killed him. She tried to wound him, but in the end she protected herself and killed her ex, I feel for her as now she has to live with the fact that she killed her own kids's father, but she did the right thing.

BlueXJ
12-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Double tap the center mass and if still standing double tap the head. Shotguns are for bad shots and birds.

Mudderoy
12-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Double tap the center mass and if still standing double tap the head. Shotguns are for bad shots and birds.

I think a shotgun should be your primary home defense weapon. A short shotgun so you can easily move around inside an enclosed environment.

Chances are very good that anything involving a gun at my home will happen when I am NOT there. Therefore a shotgun is the best for everyone at the house.

Also the sound that the shot gun makes when you rack the first round may defuse the situation before it starts. :thumbsup:

BlueXJ
12-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Weare only the two of us here and my wife is a better shot with a pistol than me. I am pretty good and practice often as does the wife.

Mudderoy
12-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Weare only the two of us here and my wife is a better shot with a pistol than me. I am pretty good and practice often as does the wife.

It's too expensive for us to practice to the level necessary where adrenalin and fear are overwhelmed by the trained process. I think I'd be ok because I have a tendency to do what is necessary and think about it later. One of the reasons I don't drive cars.

prerunner1982
12-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Though I cant see the vid I am assuming this is the one that happened here in Oklahoma.
In Oklahoma they have what is call the Make my Day (or Stand your Ground) law which is why the dispatcher told her that she can shot him. In Oklahoma you have the right to protect yourself and your property without consequences. If she would have shot to only wound him though that could perhaps left her open to law suits, if you are only shooting to wound the person you obviously aren't too threatened. You kill him and there is no question.

There are a dozen or so states that also have the same or similar laws.

Living in the country myself, I plan on getting a pistol for my wife. I would prefer to have an AR 15, but might settle on a pistol for myself until I can afford the AR 15.

Logans91XJ
12-12-2009, 01:05 AM
I am totally open to guns and even though I don't own any I have several friends that are armed with shotguns and handguns.

But do most of you really feel that threatened about where you live and being safe in your own home?

I guess I feel very lucky to live in a safe town and neighborhood. I don't mind leaving my doors unlocked and my motorcycle parked in my driveway

Mudderoy
12-12-2009, 02:38 AM
I am totally open to guns and even though I don't own any I have several friends that are armed with shotguns and handguns.

But do most of you really feel that threatened about where you live and being safe in your own home?

I guess I feel very lucky to live in a safe town and neighborhood. I don't mind leaving my doors unlocked and my motorcycle parked in my driveway

No I really don't, however given that it would take the police 45 minutes to two hours to respond to a 911 call for myself personally I would feel like a complete and total fool if I was "able" to defend myself and my family and didn't. Having a gun is like having a spare tire, or a wrench and screw driver. I may never need to use them but having one has a really good chance of making things work out better. Guns are like any tool, some people can use them, and some people should stay the hell away from them! :D

Silly Willy
12-12-2009, 08:57 AM
No I really don't, however given that it would take the police 45 minutes to two hours to respond to a 911 call for myself personally I would feel like a complete and total fool if I was "able" to defend myself and my family and didn't. Having a gun is like having a spare tire, or a wrench and screw driver. I may never need to use them but having one has a really good chance of making things work out better. Guns are like any tool, some people can use them, and some people should stay the hell away from them! :D

Very much agreed. A gun is just a tool, as you said some can use them others can't, just like some people can be a surgeon others I would barley trust washing my car.
They aren't cut out for everyone, and just because you own one doesn't mean you know how to use it, being a pistol, shotgun, or the extreme AR15. Which is also why when owning a gun that you plan to protect yourself (if the time arises) its very important to practice so you know what to do, even over the adrenalin and fear.

just my 2 cents :thumbsup:

cheap jeep
12-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Also with a shotgun you don't have to worry about killing an innocent bystander a block away.as with a rifle or handgun.

BlueXJ
12-12-2009, 12:13 PM
I live on the border of Mexico and "home invasions" are in the news quite frequently. With the drug trade being so wide spread nowadays I feel it is very important to be able to defend my home and property, not to mention my and my wife's lives.