PDA

View Full Version : Not new but looking to come back to XJs

downsy
09-30-2018, 03:45 PM
Not new but looking to come back into the fold after a few years break. I sold my last XJ (a 97) in late 2016. I shouldnt' have but now we're looking at making some changes at home and looks like I'm going kback to an SUV or truck I was at first looking at Xterras and Frontiers specfically the Pro4X models and I was leaning towards the Xterra because it seems to be in the same vein as the XJ. But I stumbled across a place in Dallas that takes lower mileage XJs and refresh them (not a full rebuild), to a near full OEM showroom condition. Suspension rebuilds and stuff like that. Seeing what they had in the shop and what they looked like made me pine for another XJ.

So hopefully I will be coming back into the XJ family unless I find a killer deal on a XTerra.

downsy
09-30-2018, 06:05 PM
Looking at used Grand Cherokees (wjs) seems like theres tons of good deals on them compared to the XJ at the moment.

4.3LXJ
10-01-2018, 10:42 AM
Welcome back. Yes, lots of WJs popping up. Many of then though have a 4.7L that is sick, so watch out for that. However one thing that happens to them as they wear, people keep trying to use 5W20 in them and that doesn't work for an engine with lots of miles

downsy
10-01-2018, 03:05 PM
Welcome back. Yes, lots of WJs popping up. Many of then though have a 4.7L that is sick, so watch out for that. However one thing that happens to them as they wear, people keep trying to use 5W20 in them and that doesn't work for an engine with lots of miles

I'm mainly looking at the 4.0L models because I'm most familiar with that engine and know what it can take and how much I could drop a reman in for if I needed to. I'm still kidn of holding out hope for a XJ for a reasonable song. The extra room of the WJ is tempting though for the kids and their seats.

Mudderoy
10-02-2018, 08:26 AM
Yeah my personal feelings are I don't trust non 4.0L engines. I think the Grands have other issues like an aluminum diff and NP249(?) transfer case. Too many negatives for me. I'd just find a 1999 HP Dana 30, NP231 with 29 spline Chrysler 8.25, 4.0L XJ. :D

downsy
10-03-2018, 12:41 PM
I'm not real concerned with HP or LP D30, I'd take either. I do want the NV242 but am not against just swapping one in. I certainly want the C8.25. This is be remaining largely stock with exception of some more dirt worthy tires, rock rails, skids, and maybe a selectable locker. I want maximum reliability as I'm basically getting into a boxy family wagon here. My 97 was lightly moddified my 00 was quite modified and I would like to do something like I did with my 97 but probably with no lift or like I did with the 97 upcountry springs.