PDA

View Full Version : Checking gear backlash and contact pattern

XJ Wheeler
09-10-2018, 10:55 AM
Hey guys, my brother and I have been taking on our first gear swap/axle rebuild on his '90 xj front hp Dana 30. The new items are a Detroit truetrac, Motive 4.10 gears, and full rebuild kit. We're taking our time, making sure we get it right the first time and hopefully I'll be doing my axles in the not too distant future (really hating 33s on 3.55s).

Down to the nitty-gritty. We've gotten to the point of having the pinion temporarily installed and checking backlash. I came to a dilemma that I'm not sure how big of and issue it is so I figured I'd ask. The info we've gotten from the service manuals and gear instructions say backlash should be 0.007 to 0.009. However the rebuild kit from Motive only had shims small enough (smallest was 0.010) to the closest I could get it is the middle of 0.010 and 0.011. So we did a contact pattern and this is how it came out. I value you guy's opinions so asking for help.

4.3LXJ
09-10-2018, 11:03 AM
Even though .008 is the optimum for just about all of them, it is the pattern that is what counts. After all, when they wear that number gets bigger. If it is as close as you can get with a good pattern, then that is what you will have to settle for

XJ Wheeler
09-10-2018, 12:59 PM
That's what I was thinking, and hoping, that it was basically a guideline. What's your thoughts on the pattern?

denverd1
09-10-2018, 01:31 PM
never done a gearset, but from my years of web wheeling, i'd say that looks pretty damn good. nice work. tip of the hat for tackling the project. wish more folks would just nut up and "just do it"

XJ Wheeler
09-10-2018, 01:48 PM
never done a gearset, but from my years of web wheeling, i'd say that looks pretty damn good. nice work. tip of the hat for tackling the project. wish more folks would just nut up and "just do it"

Lol, I'm trying bud! I was surprised at how easy it actually is once I crammed it in my brain hole. Just a lot of making sure things go where they should and having the right tools.

4.3LXJ
09-10-2018, 04:49 PM
Looks OK to me

XJ Wheeler
09-10-2018, 06:58 PM
Looks OK to me

Your expertise is much appreciated Steve! Looking forward to doing mine.