PDA

View Full Version : 90XJ OD Green WVJeepr

WVJeepr
08-11-2018, 12:04 PM
14583Thanks for the add to the forum, I've owned my 90 XJ for 17 years now and recently had some body work done by a friend. Working through some electrical issues that developed when I got it back. Radio cutting out is one of the issues I never had before. I had him install a new standard ant. assy doing away with the broken power one that was on it. I'm wondering if that could have caused my issue something such as a ground through that power assy. Any ideas guys? Thanks

Harry

4.3LXJ
08-11-2018, 12:14 PM
Harry, does the head unit itself cut out or just the signal?

WVJeepr
08-11-2018, 01:06 PM
the head unit does cuts out even on cd

4.3LXJ
08-11-2018, 02:57 PM
I am going to suggest the problem is with the power supply, or ground for the head unit. To figure out which, run it on the accessory function of your ignition switch. If it doesn't cut out, then the problem is likely the power from the ignition. If it does it on acc, then the problem is likely with the ground. Good luck

WVJeepr
08-24-2018, 11:10 AM
Update when I said the head unit cuts out the display stays on but no sound. It seems to do it when increasing volume ie using more voltage. I have run an external ground to the chassis of the radio and replaced the head unit itself but still it does this. I hear a click in the right side of the dash when this happens. If I turn the head unit off it may come back on or not right away. This is driving me nuts. Thanks for any help. I did check power and grounds and they are good. Could it be something to do with the old power antennae?

bluedragon436
08-26-2018, 06:53 AM
I'm kind of thinking it might have something to do with the power/remote signal from the head unit that would tell the power ant. to extend, probably goes through a relay or some sorts... I'm going to see if I can find my diagrams I have, and see if I can find anything on them.. I'm sure someone else will chime in momentarily with more information on that.. but I'll see if I can find those diagrams, hopefully today (moving and having stuff boxed up still... sucks a**)

**edit** IIRC from when I was working on a 1990 2dr that I had bought from a friend, there is a fuse for ant in the main fuse block. I'd say try pulling that and see if it'll help with the issue any. Either way shouldn't need to be there, so shouldn't hurt anyways... I'll continue looking for my diagrams and see what I can find there..

bluedragon436
08-26-2018, 07:02 AM
Alright, well gave up trying to think in my head where my manuals are.. (I know, was a quick give up if you look at the time of my last post and this one...) But while searching the interwebs found a link (http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?21225-Power-Antenna-connected-to) to a post on a neat XJ forum.... where someone was trying to figure out how to wire up the power ant and get it to work... and there is in fact a relay in the system.. so I'm thinking, you should be able to remove your head unit, cut & cap the blue wire which would signal to the old power ant relay to raise the mast, as well as pull the fuse for the ant. and that should take care of your issue, since it seems that is the only thing that has change, and you said you heard a clicking over in the passenger side of the dash, which is where the relay for the old power ant. would be.

WVJeepr
08-28-2018, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the reply I have yet to try it as I'm down with an injury. I hope you are right that would be an easy fix. I tried finding the diagrams on my own but have had no luck.

Harry

WVJeepr
08-30-2018, 01:14 PM
I cut the wire and now no click but was unable to locate a fuse for the power ant. There is one for power accessory but don't know if that is the same. I re checked it and it is still cutting out. If anyone has an idea of where the ground is can you post so I can check the ground. I have added an extra ground to the chassis of the radio temporarily and no change. I'm wondering if it is a speaker ground issue but it has individual wires to each speakers for + and - Thanks again for any help.

H