PDA

View Full Version : Trans Shifting Too soon?? HELP PLEASE!!

Brad 96XJ
08-01-2018, 06:47 AM
I have a 96 xj with the AW4 trans from a 97. I purchased this jeep that way about 3 months ago. After doing lots of work to it I finally got to take it out on the road and test it out.

When starting in drive it will shift all gears and be in over drive by about 10-15 MPH. I can pull it back into 1-2 and it will stay there until I manually shift it. after about an hour of dirt road driving and a little crawling, it will no longer go down into first gear.

I have already seen the post on NAXJA(Everything you need to know about the AW4) and searched for hours on google.

I replaced the TPS, cleaned the NSS, and double checked the wiring to the best of my ability. I'm still not totally clear on the wiring that needed to be changed to make this year cross work.

am i missing anything that you guys can think of? any help would be much appreciated! i would love to not have to swap this thing out before a wheeling trip on Aug 10th!!

Mudderoy
08-01-2018, 09:00 AM
I removed the font color. With the light theme all I could see was "10th" in the post. It may have been causing the same problem for others and causing them not to respond to your post.

Brad 96XJ
08-01-2018, 09:27 AM
I removed the font color. With the light theme all I could see was "10th" in the post. It may have been causing the same problem for others and causing them not to respond to your post.

Thanks Tony,

The theme is black on my computer so i thought the white would work

4.3LXJ
08-01-2018, 11:05 AM
First, do you have a check engine light on?

Brad 96XJ
08-01-2018, 11:36 AM
Yes. I just unplugged the TCU and drove it manually. Seemed to work fine

4.3LXJ
08-01-2018, 12:04 PM
Have you determined what the codes are? If it drives fine with the TCU unplugged, might need another one

Brad 96XJ
08-02-2018, 07:11 AM
I think we got it figured out. I had someone point out to me that it is actually a '98 transmission. This makes total sense as the 98's changed the output speed sensor to a 4 pulse per Rev sensor. I also did not realize that the pre 98 trannys did not have input speed sensors. I left the tcu disconnected and drove it down to the gas station to fill it up with fresh fuel and much to my surprise, the CEL went off. So I think at this point i will either install the RADesigns rail shifter or DIY it for a while with some rocker switches.

Mudderoy
08-02-2018, 10:03 AM
I think we got it figured out. I had someone point out to me that it is actually a '98 transmission. This makes total sense as the 98's changed the output speed sensor to a 4 pulse per Rev sensor. I also did not realize that the pre 98 trannys did not have input speed sensors. I left the tcu disconnected and drove it down to the gas station to fill it up with fresh fuel and much to my surprise, the CEL went off. So I think at this point i will either install the RADesigns rail shifter or DIY it for a while with some rocker switches.

Put in a Raspberry PI and set your own custom shift points! :D

Brad 96XJ
08-02-2018, 10:51 AM

I wish I knew how to program!! I'll have to go with some cave man rocker switches😁

Brad 96XJ
08-02-2018, 01:50 PM

I know there are some guys out there that have created their our electronic shifters with arduino etc. I would love to build this myself and run my trans with a 2-way momentary rocker switch.

Pookapotamus
08-04-2018, 09:53 PM
you could swap an older 2 pulse rotor into that tranny so that it still works with the tcu, my 95 had a 98 tranny and thats all i did.

jonb8
08-07-2018, 07:37 PM
Try adjusting the shiftdown cable at the throttle body.. AW4's will shift like crap if it's out of adjustment. Push the button on the cable were it goes through the bracket and it will self adjust....

Brad 96XJ
08-14-2018, 07:58 AM
Try adjusting the shiftdown cable at the throttle body.. AW4's will shift like crap if it's out of adjustment. Push the button on the cable were it goes through the bracket and it will self adjust....

It turned out to be electronics, nothing with the TV cable or mechanical. I shift it with 3 rocker switchs on my center consol now. It works great for me because this jeep is primarily offroad