PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler

Mudderoy
07-28-2018, 11:39 AM
As many of you may know I've had issues with my 98 running hot on the highway.

Minimal cooling capacity of the radiator given the surface area, along with no air damn, a much heavier Cherokee and lets not forget the 4.56 gears on 33" tires have all been part of the cause.

I believe this because of all the crap I've done to try to fix the problem for many years.

I honestly thought the problem was solved until a recent trip to Central Texas. On the trail I had NO issues with the cooling system, but on the way up and back "highway speeds" it really heated up.

Time to get outside the box, or at least the box I've been playing in.

I've thought about doing this before, but I hate the idea of having the life blood of the engine OUTSIDE the engine.

I'm going with this plate, and metal braided hoses (on order). I have not selected the cooler (mini radiator) yet. As I need to do some measurements on my Jeep.

4.3LXJ
07-28-2018, 11:43 AM
The stainless steel braided hose is pretty tough. Been running mine now for 10 years and no leaks. However, one thing I would recommend is going to the Taurus 2 speed electric fan and get rid of that clutch fan. The mechanical pulls 1700 cfm. The Taurus fan pulls 3800 cfm. Guaranteed running cool on trails and traffic.

Mudderoy
07-28-2018, 05:12 PM
The stainless steel braided hose is pretty tough. Been running mine now for 10 years and no leaks. However, one thing I would recommend is going to the Taurus 2 speed electric fan and get rid of that clutch fan. The mechanical pulls 1700 cfm. The Taurus fan pulls 3800 cfm. Guaranteed running cool on trails and traffic.

I thought fans were not needed when going 40 mph or more. How would more CFM from the fan help me with over heating at highway speeds?

4.3LXJ
07-28-2018, 08:24 PM
You have a winch there and lights IIRC. The fan will make up the difference. But mostly though the fan helps at lower speeds. You said you had trouble there also. On the trail, the electric fan is as slick as greased owl poop

Mudderoy
07-28-2018, 08:50 PM
You have a winch there and lights IIRC. The fan will make up the difference. But mostly though the fan helps at lower speeds. You said you had trouble there also. On the trail, the electric fan is as slick as greased owl poop

I do not have trouble at lower speeds, it cools down between 20 and 40 mph on even the hottest days. It may have been true in the past, don't remember, but on the trail recently there was no issue at all riding the trails for a couple of hours.

Pookapotamus
08-04-2018, 09:48 PM
tony I doubt, that an oil cooler is going to help much, but that being said it is not going to hurt at all and your engine will be happier too, but really you should not be over heating on the highway, if steve is right and you have a lot in front of your rad, that could really affect the cooling, do you have air conditioning? is the condenser in front of the rad in good shape? blocked?

Mudderoy
08-04-2018, 09:55 PM
tony I doubt, that an oil cooler is going to help much, but that being said it is not going to hurt at all and your engine will be happier too, but really you should not be over heating on the highway, if steve is right and you have a lot in front of your rad, that could really affect the cooling, do you have air conditioning? is the condenser in front of the rad in good shape? blocked?

Yep I read it is good for the oil, if nothing else, so I figure also, it won't hurt.

I had been thinking about doing this from a bit back, but after reading this I decided to give it a try.

Pookapotamus
08-04-2018, 10:01 PM
any cooling will help, like i said its not going to hurt! i say do it! i have one sitting on the bench at home and just have not installed it, although with my 8 liter oil capacity with the dual ph8a's adding an oil cooler is going to up that to 9 liters!

Mudderoy
08-04-2018, 10:18 PM
any cooling will help, like i said its not going to hurt! i say do it! i have one sitting on the bench at home and just have not installed it, although with my 8 liter oil capacity with the dual ph8a's adding an oil cooler is going to up that to 9 liters!

lol that's a lot of oil You might be able to qualify as a mid flight oil tanker for leaky Jeeps!

Pookapotamus
08-04-2018, 10:23 PM
ya thats one reason i have not done it! its getting a bit out of hand!!!!

Mudderoy
08-06-2018, 10:53 AM
Well all the parts are in with the exception of the cooler (radiator). Now I'm torn between finding the max size I can fit and how many BTU's of cooling will be enough to help. I just know I'm going to get it tooo small. :D

OrangeXJ
08-06-2018, 01:23 PM
Why not use the aux cooler for the trans fluid? That will do away with the trans cooler in the radiator and take alot of heat away from the radiator. My son's xj was a standard with no need for a radiator fluid cooler. It never got over 189 deg

Mudderoy
08-06-2018, 01:49 PM
Why not use the aux cooler for the trans fluid? That will do away with the trans cooler in the radiator and take alot of heat away from the radiator. My son's xj was a standard with no need for a radiator fluid cooler. It never got over 189 deg

Took the AW4 off the radiator long ago, it has it's own B&M cooler.

OrangeXJ
08-06-2018, 04:31 PM
Took the AW4 off the radiator long ago, it has it's own B&M cooler.

Just a thought

Mudderoy
08-06-2018, 04:45 PM
Just a thought

It was a good one, but one of many things tried and didn't resolve the issue. :(