PDA

View Full Version : Holley Carburetor on a Jeep?

Mudderoy
07-10-2018, 07:52 AM
While I was getting my locker installed I had a conversation with a guy "visiting the shop I was at". He's big into Holley carburetors. I told him I was too 30 years ago. :D

It was my impression that no one in the Jeep world uses carburetors any longer. It's all fuel injected, well unless it's a 70s/80s CJ.

Now I know some stuff about Jeeps but most of my hands on knowledge is my 1998 Jeep, and the newer Jeeps at my house.

Do Jeepers have a need for carburetors?

OrangeXJ
07-10-2018, 09:20 AM
IMO no I had problems with my carb. on my CJ running out of gas when it was not on flat ground. Altho it could have been a float problem.

4.3LXJ
07-10-2018, 09:22 AM
I suppose they do if they don't understand or can't afford fuel injection. One thing you have to do with them is make the "off road" version. The breather for the fuel bowl needs a J shaped tube on it to keep raw fuel from going down the throat when climbing a steep hill

Mudderoy
07-10-2018, 01:18 PM
Yep I mentioned to him that fuel injection was superior when at steep angles. He mentioned something about mods that could be done to the carb to "help" that. Steve you were the only one that I could think of that MIGHT be running a carburetor. Anyway, I told him I'd check here on the site to be sure. Maybe what I thought I knew was wrong. I loved my Holley 650 on my Chevy 327 in my Nova, but I was 18 waaaaaaay back then.

BTW, Greg, I shot that AR15 you sold me for the first time yesterday. Holosite was dead, green laser was dead, never sited in the iron sites, couldn't hit the paper, lol. So next time...

OrangeXJ
07-10-2018, 03:01 PM
It was not shot much I never sighted it in just played with the slide fire. I guess the optic batteries went dead.

4.3LXJ
07-10-2018, 04:33 PM
Yep I mentioned to him that fuel injection was superior when at steep angles. He mentioned something about mods that could be done to the carb to "help" that. Steve you were the only one that I could think of that MIGHT be running a carburetor. Anyway, I told him I'd check here on the site to be sure. Maybe what I thought I knew was wrong. I loved my Holley 650 on my Chevy 327 in my Nova, but I was 18 waaaaaaay back

I have used a Holley 390 cfm on my V6 in my CJ5. That is where my experience comes from. The Holley was designed for flat ground. The tube trick was later adopted by Holley for their "off road" carb. Once that is done, good carb

Mudderoy
07-11-2018, 08:31 AM
Okay, seems like the info I had in my head was correct. :D

I have used a Holley 390 cfm on my V6 in my CJ5. That is where my experience comes from. The Holley was designed for flat ground. The tube trick was later adopted by Holley for their "off road" carb. Once that is done, good carb

Mudderoy
07-11-2018, 08:32 AM
It was not shot much I never sighted it in just played with the slide fire. I guess the optic batteries went dead.

Well I change the batteries recently and just got the green laser so I was surprised they were both dead. I bore sited both of them. I didn't bore site the flip up iron sites though. No big deal, we'll go again and just shoot the AR15. I was happy it fired at all. I've had it apart and back together, my first AR15, so having it work was great.

denverd1
07-12-2018, 11:38 AM
off road and carbs don't mix. Ole boy needs to step into the 21st century