PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Talk Show "Texas" Wheeling Event

Mudderoy
07-06-2018, 10:59 AM
July 14th 8am at Hidden Falls Adventure Park (http://www.hiddenfallsadventurepark.com/4x4).

Please join us!

Going to be trying out the new Advance Adapters Atlas 2 transfer case, the Tom Woods 1310 (front) and 1350 (rear) Drive shafts, and the freshly install ARB RD93 Air locker!

Check out the event on our Facebook Page (https://business.facebook.com/events/507990456287124/)

I'll be bringing Jeep Talk Show stickers to hand out.

4.3LXJ
07-06-2018, 02:44 PM
Have fun Tony. You will like the improvements

Mudderoy
07-08-2018, 07:00 PM
Trying to get ready for the event. While I was getting the air locker installed they showed me a bad ball joint, and possible unit bearing on the passenger side. The driver's side was fine, which is strange. I'm checking it, but I was surprised to find out that the Timken unit bearing is available for free one day shipping (prime members).

I'm off tomorrow so I'll see if I need to order a set.

So far I have...
Installed rear extended brake line.
Trimmed cross member to further clearance it from the transfer case
Not really happy about losing ground clearance, but I've made some 1" drops for the factory transfer case skid so it will fit under the Atlas.
Changed fluid in the Atlas after 500 mile break in.

Tomorrow I'm going to mock up the Viair tank, Viair compressor and run hose.

If I get really ambitious I'll install the air horn too! :D

bluedragon436
07-09-2018, 08:29 AM
Look forward to hearing how it all performs.. I know alot of hard work and money went into getting it where it is today... and is always nice to see it pay off!!

Mudderoy
07-12-2018, 11:55 AM
Heading out Saturday! If you have nothing to do, come on out!

Mudderoy
07-15-2018, 03:10 AM
Friday night late I found this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uv78Ux6S_k

Replaced u-joints (Saturday) so heading to Hidden Falls Adventure Park today!

Mudderoy
07-16-2018, 07:28 AM
Over headed, melted a thermostat but finally made it out there by 2pm

bluedragon436
07-16-2018, 07:46 AM
Hey, at least you made it out!!

4.3LXJ
07-16-2018, 11:23 AM
Glad you made it. Yup shit happens

OrangeXJ
07-16-2018, 12:56 PM
How did everything work? Got any action pics? That's a long one day trip 2 days is a lot funner. I drive there early Sat. morning get a motel room Sat night ( lot of inexpensive places and good restaurants 15 to 20 minutes from the park ) wheel Sun morning till noon home by 4.

Mudderoy
07-16-2018, 02:27 PM
Over heated. Had to replace a thermostat, but took 5 hours to figure out that was the problem. Wheeled for 2 hours, then drove home, but couldn't go faster than 55 mph or it would start getting hot again.

On the trail everything worked great. Crawling up and down in 4 low was really nice, especially dropping it into 1st gear and taking the foot off the brake and slowly crawling down the steep decline at 3 mph.

How did everything work? Got any action pics? That's a long one day trip 2 days is a lot funner. I drive there early Sat. morning get a motel room Sat night ( lot of inexpensive places and good restaurants 15 to 20 minutes from the park ) wheel Sun morning till noon home by 4.

Mudderoy
07-18-2018, 08:11 AM

4.3LXJ
07-18-2018, 09:51 AM
Looks good off road Tony

Mudderoy
07-18-2018, 10:15 AM
I found out something. I was thinking about wiring up, or getting a shifter that would allow me to keep the AW4 in first gear. What I found out was putting the transfer case in 4 low and dropping the shifter into 1/2 it stayed in first. After thinking about it, it would stay in first until the transmission was turning fast enough for it to shift into 2nd.

I also found out that I wanted to be moving really slow before I dropped it into first gear. lol

4.3LXJ
07-18-2018, 10:38 AM
Yup, amazing how those ratios work. In 10:1 I don't mess with gear changes at all. They can jerk your head to the point of being uncomfortable

Mudderoy
07-18-2018, 12:24 PM
I do need to figure out why it's so hard to get out of 4 hi and into 4 low. I have to turn the engine off to get it into 4 low, and that's after I've come to a stop and put the trans in neutral. I even tried it moving. No go.

4.3LXJ
07-18-2018, 12:42 PM
I had that same sort of problem getting into gear. The problem I think is that those synchros are just too darn big. The brass weighs about 1/2 lb apiece. I took mine out and it is so much easier to get into gear. Granted you have to remove pressure on the gear train to get out, but overall I am much happier with the synchros out.

4.3LXJ
07-19-2018, 02:54 PM
Just thinking about this a little. There is a technique to shifting the Atlas. The first is to get it out of 4WD in either range. Simply accelerate and pull on the front axle lever and let off the gas. It will slip out. Then to get it out of low or high range, do the same thing for the rear axle lever. Then shift into neutral and push or pull on the rear axle lever until it goes in. Then shift the front axle in by engaging the lever while accelerating or decelerating. And don't be afraid to put some pressure on it

Mudderoy
07-19-2018, 04:40 PM
Just thinking about this a little. There is a technique to shifting the Atlas. The first is to get it out of 4WD in either range. Simply accelerate and pull on the front axle lever and let off the gas. It will slip out. Then to get it out of low or high range, do the same thing for the rear axle lever. Then shift into neutral and push or pull on the rear axle lever until it goes in. Then shift the front axle in by engaging the lever while accelerating or decelerating. And don't be afraid to put some pressure on it

I'll have to try that, I was doing it the worn fork pad NP242 way. Get down to about 20 mph, put it in neutral and shift it out the front axle

Alwayssideways
07-24-2018, 05:10 AM
I had a very similar problem when I was having a linkage issues. I had to rock the jeep forward and backward with the rig in neutral, to shift into 4L. It was almost like the there was some kind of binding in the drive train. Have you contacted AA about this issue? They might be able to offer some insight on why it is hanging up. I would like to believe that a beefed up atlas with planetary gears should be shifted on the fly with little to no binding. Im not a drive line expert by any means, just trying to ask questions while I learn and hopefully help you figure this out.

Mudderoy
07-24-2018, 07:15 PM
I had a very similar problem when I was having a linkage issues. I had to rock the jeep forward and backward with the rig in neutral, to shift into 4L. It was almost like the there was some kind of binding in the drive train. Have you contacted AA about this issue? They might be able to offer some insight on why it is hanging up. I would like to believe that a beefed up atlas with planetary gears should be shifted on the fly with little to no binding. Im not a drive line expert by any means, just trying to ask questions while I learn and hopefully help you figure this out.

I have not contacted them yet. I wanted to go over the shifting procedure again. I may be missing something.

Binding I have to agree with. I was able to force the front axle out but you could feel something release energy when it did.