PDA

View Full Version : ARB Air Lockers

Mudderoy
06-27-2018, 04:13 AM

With the addition of the Atlas I've found a local shop, and I mean really local, that can install my lockers. I bet I've hand these things for over 4 years.

Couldn't find a stamping for the model of the locker that I bought for the Dana 30 so I've been going back and forth with ARB providing information to see if this is a RD100.

Looks like it could be, they just needed a measurement to try to determine if it's a RD100 or RD101 (3.73 and up, or not)

Hopefully July 5th, next week, the rear, and maybe the front lockers will be installed.

4.3LXJ
06-27-2018, 09:09 AM
You get those in and working you will have all the goodies

Mudderoy
06-27-2018, 09:11 AM
Oh Steve, you've been around longer and know so much more than I, and you made a rookie mistake. You're never done, and you never have all the goodies! :D

You get those in and working you will have all the goodies

Mudderoy
07-06-2018, 10:54 AM
ARB Tech did confirm I have a RD-100 (3.73 and higher)

Went to Lone Star Ring & Pinion yesterday to have both ARBs installed. I told Eric that we should start on the rear and I could come back if need be to do the front. Turned out this was a good call. It took about 6 hours to get the rear installed, but there were a few issues.

Turned out that one of the bearings install during the 4.56 ring and pinion installation had ate itself. There was about 1/8" of side to side play!

Unable to set the backlash to what it was, Eric just set it to recommended setting.

I was told it may make noise because of the issue with the bad bearing and the ring and pinion were worn in at some backlash setting we could only guess at now.

The 14 mile ride home I couldn't tell any difference, which is good! I'll have to see what happens over time, but I suspect it will be just fine. If now, I'll get a new ring and pinion and we'll do this again.

4.3LXJ
07-06-2018, 02:47 PM
It is getting there Tony. One question on the Atlas. Did you fill with the recommended volume of oil in it? Much more oil in the sight tube than mine filled by volume

Mudderoy
07-06-2018, 03:02 PM
It's been a little while but I thought I read 2 quarts, what they sent me. I filled it up, installed the case, then marked the level on the tube for future reference.

It is getting there Tony. One question on the Atlas. Did you fill with the recommended volume of oil in it? Much more oil in the sight tube than mine filled by volume

4.3LXJ
07-06-2018, 04:52 PM
They told me in the instructions to put 1.5 quarts in. Any more and they said the oil would come out the breather. But they have made some improvements IL guess

Mudderoy
07-06-2018, 05:02 PM
The Atlas Transfer Case unit is shipped dry. We recommend 2 quarts for the Atlas 2 speed and 2-1/2 quarts for the Atlas 4 Speed.

Source: http://www.advanceadapters.com/knowledgebase/atlas-oil/

You got me nervous! :D

They told me in the instructions to put 1.5 quarts in. Any more and they said the oil would come out the breather. But they have made some improvements IL guess

4.3LXJ
07-06-2018, 05:30 PM
That is a quart more than recommended at the time. Although the oil that came with it was Amsoil