PDA

View Full Version : Advance Adapters Atlas 2 speed and the electronic speedo

Mudderoy
05-29-2018, 08:57 AM
After installing the Atlas 2 speed in my XJ last night, I tried installing the electronic speedo sensor in the big round hole. I couldn't get it to fit! Now I was pretty tired and maybe I missed something but I'm pretty sure it just doesn't work.

AA says a NP231 speedo works in there, is there a difference between the NP242 and NP231 speedo sensors?

Maybe a difference between the TJ and XJ speedos?

I'll be calling Advance Adapters this morning and talk to them about it.

4.3LXJ
05-29-2018, 09:26 AM
My 231 speedo sensor worked perfectly in mine. But it is all mechanical

Mudderoy
05-30-2018, 01:12 AM
Okay so it seems the gear is too big that I use for my 33" tires and 4.56 gears. I have to take the gear off, fish it in the hole on the other side of the worm gear and then snap it into the sensor. Bottom line it should work. Relieved.

4.3LXJ
05-30-2018, 08:50 AM
So you need to get another drive gear?

Mudderoy
05-30-2018, 11:51 AM
Well according to AA speedo chart the gear is the same for NP242 or the Atlas, so no. I won't know for sure until I get it installed and can test drive to verify.

So you need to get another drive gear?

4.3LXJ
05-30-2018, 12:57 PM
Is it the length of the shaft on the gear giving you problems. There is a short and long shaft

Mudderoy
05-30-2018, 01:18 PM
I was told it is the diameter of the gear that is the cause of putting it in, in one piece. The gear goes in first, then you hook it up to the sensor. What I have is short shaft.

Is it the length of the shaft on the gear giving you problems. There is a short and long shaft

4.3LXJ
05-30-2018, 03:30 PM
I believe mine is the long shaft. Also the sensor housing rotates depending on the tooth count of the gear. Got it colcked right?

Mudderoy
05-30-2018, 05:30 PM
Got it in. Took the gear off then stabbed it with the sensor once I had the gear behind the worm gear. Rotation? Who knows? I have no reference point on the Atlas (or experience). I'll try rotating the output shaft prior to driving it to make sure nothing is binding, then it will be drive and see! ;)

I believe mine is the long shaft. Also the sensor housing rotates depending on the tooth count of the gear. Got it colcked right?

4.3LXJ
05-30-2018, 06:33 PM
No, what I mean is that the center of the sensor is offset so that by rotating it you can accommodate different size, toot count, gears. You have to have the proper rotation position or the speedo will not work

Mudderoy
05-30-2018, 09:25 PM
Yep, I think I've changed the gear at least three times now. Twice on the XJ and once on the TJ. In fact I need to get Mandy to verify the speedo is reading correctly on the 2001 TJ she bought.

I think it was the TJ that I changed it and the speed odometer wouldn't work. Had to rotate it to the next set of notches.

No, what I mean is that the center of the sensor is offset so that by rotating it you can accommodate different size, toot count, gears. You have to have the proper rotation position or the speedo will not work

Mudderoy
05-30-2018, 09:35 PM
lol now that I have the cross member back in I see I have to mark it where it's 1/16" from the transfer case, remove it, trim it and reinstall it. :S