PDA

View Full Version : How long should leaf springs last?

Mudderoy
04-09-2018, 06:04 PM
I know this is another one of those "it depends" questions but I'm asking anyway.

I noticed my leaf springs are starting to look flat. They are Rough Country springs (4.5").

I'm wondering if I should replace them, but more importantly with what brand? Rubicon Express?

finneys98xj
04-09-2018, 06:34 PM
It depends on how you use them, weight, shackle angle is a huge factor also. If you have a 90* shackle angle it isnt going to let the spring go though its full range of motion without going negative. Lots of variables but I know guys that have run the same springs in there rigs for ten years without problem. Keeping your springs clean has a lot to do with wear also. If the springs are clean and have less friction between them the heat build up will be lessened. RE or allcans would be my first pics. But Rc's springs are stiff and take time to settle. how is your rear set-up? I little slight reworking maybe in order instead of springs post pic.

4.3LXJ
04-09-2018, 07:10 PM
Finney is right, it depends on several things. One is when were they made. Old school springs were made by heating and cooling the metal then reheating. New ones are made by work hardening cold steel and don't last nearly as long. The real question is, is your Jeep sitting a little low? If it isn't leaning you can add 1/2 to 1" by placing 1/2X2.5" steel plates under and running the center bolt through them too. That way the spring is all one unit. This is the way heavy truck springs are made and height adjusted a little

Mudderoy
04-10-2018, 01:13 AM
10 years, that got me thinking. I've had these springs since, I'll guess, 2007 or 2008! I got the lift in 2005 (about) and replaced those add-a-leafs pretty soon after, maybe a couple of years. So it probably is time to change. I'll get a picture to post.

See if you can tell anything from this.

Mudderoy
04-10-2018, 03:23 AM
Rubicon Express RE1462 4.5" Leaf Spring for Jeep XJ $155.14

https://amzn.to/2IF3aE2

They have a 5.5" as well, but since I'm running the relocators I'm not sure if I want that.

finneys98xj
04-10-2018, 08:35 AM
This is just what I would do. From the look of the pictures, it looks like the lift packs are really just broke in. Shackle angle is fine, so I would pull the packs apart clean them up and repaint them and bushings. They make a ag supply paint with graphite, If you could find it thats what I would repiant them with. If they really bother you the way it sits take and replace a leaf or install a AAL. New springs arent going to flex or ride as good as they do.

Your shackle angle is fine. I would maybe look into shocks also. All this advice comes from research I've done, watching others, and just crawling under random jeeps at rides and shows. If you have a spring shop in your area they can re-arch your springs for a little coin.

4.3LXJ
04-10-2018, 10:11 AM
Those springs do have arch in them. You sure they are sagging?

prerunner1982
04-10-2018, 10:44 AM
The real question is, is your Jeep sitting a little low? If it isn't leaning you can add 1/2 to 1" by placing 1/2X2.5" steel plates under and running the center bolt through them too. That way the spring is all one unit.

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/Zero%20Rates.htm

A little lift and can be used to move your axle a little forward/back as well.
http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/Offset%20Zero%20Rate%201.JPG

finneys98xj
04-10-2018, 12:12 PM
How long have you had the relocation brackets and shackles in the position it's in now? Reason is if you run the shackle near vertical for most of there life, they wouldn't allow the spring to flex/work in like they were meant to. Now that you corrected the shackle angle it allowed the spring to break in and settle.

Mudderoy
04-10-2018, 12:38 PM
I can only go with my experience which is mostly with this Jeep. They look like they are getting flat to me, but that's one reason I was asking for other opinions.

Those springs do have arch in them. You sure they are sagging?

Mudderoy
04-10-2018, 12:39 PM
How long have you had the relocation brackets and shackles in the position it's in now? Reason is if you run the shackle near vertical for most of there life, they wouldn't allow the spring to flex/work in like they were meant to. Now that you corrected the shackle angle it allowed the spring to break in and settle.

It doesn't seem like very long. I'll over estimate at 4 years. I changed the angle on the relocation bracket 2 years ago.

Mudderoy
04-10-2018, 12:41 PM
This is just what I would do. From the look of the pictures, it looks like the lift packs are really just broke in. Shackle angle is fine, so I would pull the packs apart clean them up and repaint them and bushings. They make a ag supply paint with graphite, If you could find it thats what I would repiant them with. If they really bother you the way it sits take and replace a leaf or install a AAL. New springs arent going to flex or ride as good as they do.

Your shackle angle is fine. I would maybe look into shocks also. All this advice comes from research I've done, watching others, and just crawling under random jeeps at rides and shows. If you have a spring shop in your area they can re-arch your springs for a little coin.

This sounds great! I haven't had any problems with them. I just wanted to take care of stuff before hitting the trails. Seems kind of silly to put in an Atlas and have crappy springs. ;)

denverd1
04-10-2018, 01:42 PM
you hitting the trails?!?! there ya go!!

4.3LXJ
04-10-2018, 03:25 PM
Watch out, here he comes :thumbsup:

denverd1
04-10-2018, 03:27 PM
I was gonna say it sounds silly to put an atlas in a daily commuter, but now he's wheelin' yall!