PDA

View Full Version : bastard pack parts?

thesupercroc
02-24-2018, 11:18 AM
Greetings all!

I'm going to do a bastard pack lift on the rear for my XJ. I have the maim leaf for a s10 so i will get about 2"ish lift which be nice due to the fact my leafs look more like this | then this ) .

Here is were I need your help. let me know what part(s) that I have forgotten about.

leaf bushings
u-bolts (size?) chystler 8.25 axle
spring bolts (the bolt theat goes thought all the leafs) (part number?)
bolts from leafs to body
bolts from leafs to shackles
bolts shacckles to body
bumps stops (mine are junk all ready)
shocks
bar pin eliminators (diy)

:bacondance::bacondance::bacondance:

4.3LXJ
02-24-2018, 03:43 PM
I am not sure what you are doing here. When you do a bastard pack you retain the XJ main leaf, and you can leave it in and not touch it so you don't need to have new bushings or bolts for them. Center bolt is a 5/16" center bolt, no part number just get one about 6" long so you can account for the differences in leaf curvature. How far do you want to go up?

4x4Dalton
02-24-2018, 06:52 PM
Plus the leaf spring clamps. Good luck finding more than one set at automotive parts store. They only sell one set at a time here so we have to drive to 2 automotive parts places.

thesupercroc
02-24-2018, 07:07 PM
I am not sure what you are doing here. When you do a bastard pack you retain the XJ main leaf, and you can leave it in and not touch it so you don't need to have new bushings or bolts for them. Center bolt is a 5/16" center bolt, no part number just get one about 6" long so you can account for the differences in leaf curvature. How far do you want to go up?

OK the guide I have took the leafs all the way off.

Only have the one leaf so I think that is around 2" of that's about were I want it for now.

Yeah I might have to order the clips or make my owe

4.3LXJ
02-24-2018, 07:37 PM
If all you are doing is putting one leaf in, take the spring apart without removing the main leaf. Straighten the sides of the clips out so they just point up. Put your leaf in using a new center bolt, then as you compress the spring together with a C clamp tighten up the center bolt. Do not use the center bolt to draw it all together. They are too soft for that. Once it is together, install the U bolts and button it up. Don't try to make too much of a project out of it. The clips pointing straight up will be enough to keep it al aligned

thesupercroc
02-25-2018, 05:42 PM
If all you are doing is putting one leaf in, take the spring apart without removing the main leaf. Straighten the sides of the clips out so they just point up. Put your leaf in using a new center bolt, then as you compress the spring together with a C clamp tighten up the center bolt. Do not use the center bolt to draw it all together. They are too soft for that. Once it is together, install the U bolts and button it up. Don't try to make too much of a project out of it. The clips pointing straight up will be enough to keep it al aligned

cool I will do that. I was not able to find spring clips in town so I will reuse mine or fab some from scrap steel.

Is there enough on the leaf spring plate to go up to 9/16" u-bolts?

4.3LXJ
02-25-2018, 07:37 PM
No, the hole in the spring pad is only 1/2"

thesupercroc
02-25-2018, 09:20 PM
So you are saying i should not make the holes 1/16" bigger?

4.3LXJ
02-26-2018, 09:11 AM
You can't drill spring steel. It is as tough as drill bits. You would have to use a carbide drill bit or burr. Just run the OEM size. It is what everyone else does

thesupercroc
02-26-2018, 11:48 AM
You can't drill spring steel. It is as tough as drill bits. You would have to use a carbide drill bit or burr. Just run the OEM size. It is what everyone else does

Perfect! Finally a use for my carbide bit! But really I might just have to ordered them off the inerweb due to the face in seem that parts stores around here don't seem to like to carry parts.

prerunner1982
02-26-2018, 01:28 PM
U bolts and spring plates from an 82 Chevy 1/2 ton truck are 5/8" and 3" wide. The trucks also use 2.5" wide springs so the spring plates work also and may even be a bit thicker.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Tuff-Country/444/17751/10002/-1
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=51

I used a leaf from my old 1/2 ton Chevy truck and may use the spring plates and buy new 5/8" u bolts.

thesupercroc
02-28-2018, 03:54 PM
Well I have the correct u-bolts on order from Rock auto they were cheaper and fast shipping the any were near me.

I started on the tear down and got the wheels off! ;) take a look here for more on that (http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?12363-Croc-s-super-build-Warning-super-long-first-post&p=234698#post234698) so thins thread will focus mainly on parts.

my leafs are held together like this.

https://i.imgur.com/2hEWZUel.jpg https://i.imgur.com/ISy6MfJl.jpg

So it looks like I will have to fab some thing up. I thing that getting some 0.1 steel 1" wide and making them my self would work thoughts?
Also should i just trash the u shaped ones on the end?

4.3LXJ
02-28-2018, 05:23 PM
No, keep those and just bend the tabs up. They don't have to be curled over the main to work right

thesupercroc
02-28-2018, 06:16 PM
Sweet one less thing to make then!