PDA

View Full Version : Tires

happydude
02-14-2018, 06:20 AM
I am looking for a good set of all-terrain tires for my 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I am currently looking at Toyo Tires (http://4wheelonline.com/Toyo_Tires.202664)' Proxes S/T II. Any other recommendations?

4.3LXJ
02-14-2018, 09:45 AM
Might as well start at the top of the list. The BFG KOs. They work well and wear like iron. General has a knockoff tread design, not sure how well those wear. Goodyear Duratracs are a little more aggressive and last well

abebehrmann
02-15-2018, 02:29 PM
I have the original BFG KO tires in the 31x10.50x15 variety on my XJ. I like them just fine. As Steve mentioned they wear VERY slowly. I have had them for ~30k miles so far with very little tire wear, I'd estimate maximum of 30% wear so far. Not too loud on the road and pretty decent traction off road. Will probably have to replace them due to age before the tread wears out. I have Goodyear Duratracs on my wife's TJ in 33x12.50x15. They're definitely a bit louder than the BFG tires, but not bad. Not sure about tire wear on these, have only had them for ~10k miles, but so far so good. Happy with both purchases and wouldn't hesitate to run either again.

denverd1
02-15-2018, 03:01 PM
I believer General tried to one up BFG in the wear department. the resulting tire is a very stiff tread compound that does quite poorly in wet conditions. I've been tempted to run General Grabbers on my trail only rig, but don't think I would trust them for driving in wet conditions. I too have run BFG KOs, put 20K on my rig before I sold it, tires looked almost new

carloxj
03-09-2018, 01:42 AM
Toyo Proxes S/T is an all-season tire. Open Country A/T II is a decent all-terrain tire from Toyo.

XJ Wheeler
03-14-2018, 03:19 PM
Just to throw another name in the mix. I've been running the Falken Wildpeak AT3W for 2 years now and so far I'm impressed. I haven't put a ton of miles on them though so wear is not something I can comment on but traction is great, reviews well in winter weather (not that I'll need it in southeast texas), and the price is stellar. You can get a set of 33x12.50r15 for $141 a tire (plus tax if you're in certain states) from pep boys on ebay with free shipping. Now this varies with sizes but the size I mentioned also has the deepest tread depth of any all terrain, and in mud terrain territory at 20/32". I had the bfg at ko before this, and you will certainly not be disappointed with those, but they are more for the buy in cost. Also, I went from a 31x10.50 in the bfg to a 33x12.50 falken and they're just as, if not a slight bit quieter than the bfgs.

bluedragon436
03-14-2018, 03:56 PM
I'd say look at the Duratrac 's, as they do really well in most conditions... and wear very nicely.... I'm running some Treadwright MT's on my 97 XJ, and have run their tires on other vehicles previously... but depending on what size you are looking for and what rim size... they have a semi-limited selection on sizes, but are pretty nicely priced, and do pretty good to stand behind their products if you end up having any issues out of them..

denverd1
03-15-2018, 10:24 AM
I'd say look at the Duratrac 's, as they do really well in most conditions... and wear very nicely.... I'm running some Treadwright MT's on my 97 XJ, and have run their tires on other vehicles previously... but depending on what size you are looking for and what rim size... they have a semi-limited selection on sizes, but are pretty nicely priced, and do pretty good to stand behind their products if you end up having any issues out of them..

Claws?

been running set of claws on my rig for 5 years? maybe 6. tore a sidewall on 1, but I wouldn't blame that on the tire. they've been been on pretty hard and still going strong. they do have limited selection, but you can check with them on the next batch of whatever size you want. I recommend them, especially for a rig that sees a lot of trail time.

bluedragon436
03-15-2018, 11:33 PM
Claws?

been running set of claws on my rig for 5 years? maybe 6. tore a sidewall on 1, but I wouldn't blame that on the tire. they've been been on pretty hard and still going strong. they do have limited selection, but you can check with them on the next batch of whatever size you want. I recommend them, especially for a rig that sees a lot of trail time.

I have the Guard Dog MT's.. I do like the other MT and AT tires designs they have... Thinking if I do a lift on my GF's LJ, that I'll look and see what options they have for the 15's that are on her Jeep now... she has 31" tires already on there with no lift... and most likely won't go any larger than 33 on hers.. unless of course I can get her into wheeling it and she needs/wants a higher lift... or I manage to snag it away from her and build it up.. lol But either way when I go to bigger tire size on my XJ with fender flare upgrade, I'll probably go to 35's from TW..

XJ Wheeler
03-16-2018, 06:09 PM

I was gonna go with the Duratracs when I was looking for my 33s but the sidewalls scare me off. I love the tread design and it seems to do well in a lot of situations. It's a shame because I really wanted them. I just started reading review after review of people getting sidewall punctures. Then I went to look at a used set and one of them had a sidewall puncture. The sidewall felt weak to me compared to the bfg as well. Since a sidewall puncture is game over for a tire I didn't want to risk it. I wish they'd redo them and update that though. They'd have a homerun.

denverd1
03-20-2018, 10:57 AM
Maxxis radial trepadors in 37 will be my next. or creepy crawlers.... can't decide.