PDA

View Full Version : So I am in the market for tires for the WJ daily driver.....

Dredwolf
01-17-2018, 09:34 PM
My WJ daily driver needs tires.....I have had great success with the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 on the wife's '03 Explorer in a 265/70-16 that mainly spends it's time on pavement, but has "random acts of dirt" happen too. The wife likes photography and exploring, enjoys the durability of the Cooper's, and the confidence they give her to get her and the Explorer though most anything in her driving skill range.

But while I don't mind paying $$ for her tires, I am trying to save a bit on my WJ that sees a lot of pavement miles, with only an occasional "off-pavement" excursion every few months. With the weather here in the Southeast, I waited too long to order new tires for the WJ, so I stayed off the road today, I have two tires down to the wear bars :bang:. Not how I normally do things.

Of course the Cooper's are an option, but I am trying to find others to seriously consider, without dropping the $$ I would for new tires on the XJ. I have looked at offerings from several brands (Cooper makes a LOT of tires for other brands), and the reviews for the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 seem generally positive. I have run General, Michelin, Firestone, BFG, Interco, Buckshot, Cooper and even the old Ground Hawgs back when I drove a lifted truck. Anyone run the Hankook tires on a daily driver and have thoughts to share or another solid A/T tire that won't break the bank?

4.3LXJ
01-17-2018, 09:39 PM
The only AT tires I have experience with is the BFGs. They last a long time

Dredwolf
01-17-2018, 10:01 PM
The only AT tires I have experience with is the BFGs. They last a long time

I have a set of those that refused to die on my old K20 farm truck. Good tires, they were an option for the Explorer until we found the Coopers. If I was driving the XJ more often, they would be a possible for it.

denverd1
01-18-2018, 11:34 AM
I say go with what you know. BFG KO2s would be my choice. or stick with Cooper. you've run several different tires that are dependable. I wouldn't venture off the reservation looking for something else.

edit:
Been seeing Kenda Klever AT and MT tires quite a bit. Not sure of their wear characteristics, but the guy with MTs said they were "awesome". pretty sure they are his first set of MTs. Again, no idea if they'll last 20K miles of 60K but they're cheaper than others.
here's the AT in 33
https://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Klever-KR28-All-Terrain-Radial/dp/B00R88U5Z2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8

Dredwolf
01-18-2018, 09:07 PM
I say go with what you know. BFG KO2s would be my choice. or stick with Cooper. you've run several different tires that are dependable. I wouldn't venture off the reservation looking for something else.

edit:
Been seeing Kenda Klever AT and MT tires quite a bit. Not sure of their wear characteristics, but the guy with MTs said they were "awesome". pretty sure they are his first set of MTs. Again, no idea if they'll last 20K miles of 60K but they're cheaper than others.
here's the AT in 33
https://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Klever-KR28-All-Terrain-Radial/dp/B00R88U5Z2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8

Seen the Klevers. will check them out.

I actually may have limited my choices in tires with a opportunity for some rims and worn tires from a JK, but we will see. Fitment of the JK wheels and tires on the WJ is apparently a matter of much debate, so I am going to hopefully pick up the set and plot a path forward with a minor lift and fresh bushings, ball joints, tie rods, and shocks all around. I don't mind trimming to fit, but I HATE butchering to fit.

For the JK wheels, my two options are still there, but the price per tire for replacements has increased some. Hopefully I can pick up the wheels this weekend, and MAKE an excuse to by a lift.:rolleye0012:

4.3LXJ
01-18-2018, 09:46 PM
What is the debate? Same bolt pattern. Is it the larger brakes on the WJ?

denverd1
01-19-2018, 09:11 AM
I tried JK rims (canyons IIRC) on my WK, they did not fit. Brake caliper clearance. But the WK is a completely different animal. IFS front end and bigger brakes.

WJ is using literally the same Dana 30 axle as our XJs. There's a million threads and pics on goog image of XJs with JK wheels.

Rubicons look particularly good. There's a local XJ in club running those wheels

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
01-19-2018, 10:40 AM
One other thing on this. The year of WJ may make a difference as well as steel or aluminum wheels. The early WJ brake calipers castings are much beefier, but less desirable anyway due to rotor warpage. Why that happens I don't know. But I possess both and I can tell you there is a major difference. Also steel clears easier than aluminum due to thickness of the metal

XJ Wheeler
01-19-2018, 04:25 PM
Bfg all terrains are always the industry standard in my opinion and I doubt you'd be disappointed with them but the price isn't great. When I had my KOs I liked them but I will say they are definitely not a good tire for mud. Ran them on our work truck and traction was perfect. One time we ran through quite a blizzard and the thing just kept going and it was a 2wd. We did have 5k lbs on the bed that helped but we passed many trucks and cars that couldn't make it up the hills.

Also I've been running the Falken Wildpeak AT3W on my xj for almost two years. I haven't gotten many miles on them, maybe 2000, but I'm please so far. They clear mud well on the outer channels. Great road traction. Winter rated with lot of siping. But the price is stellar for a name brand tire. The 33x12.50-15 right now is $150 a tire. That's 600 for a set of 33s! Bfg is 200 more almost. But you might find a deal from a vendor to help even that out. They are kinda heavy though but probably not far from most all terrains.

I don't have experience with Firestones all terrains but their highway truck tires have ridiculously thin sidewall. Next to a bfg all terrain it felt paper thin and the sidewall rotted much faster.

That's my experience. Hope it helps a little.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

4.3LXJ
01-19-2018, 07:00 PM
Those do look good. I haven't been exposed too much to Falken, but the AT and MT tires look good to me. I like the siping

XJ Wheeler
01-19-2018, 09:20 PM
Those do look good. I haven't been exposed too much to Falken, but the AT and MT tires look good to me. I like the siping
Same here. I always keep moving to colder climates in mind and that siping was appealing.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

denverd1
01-24-2018, 10:46 AM
New KO2 has more siping than the original. They're not amazing in mud, but I'd say they do pretty well. If you want to get buried in mud up to the rockers, there are better tires but they'll hold their own in moderate goop. Falkens look like they wouldn't do as well, but no experience with them. But look better for snow.

Where you located? If driving in snow regularly, Falkens would get the nod IMO

denverd1
02-02-2018, 06:32 PM
Bump. Pics of Dreds new tires?

carloxj
03-08-2018, 02:37 AM
Had a set of Hankook Dynapro ATM. They were good on and off the road. They are not noisy on pavement, but due to having deep lugs they tend to pick up and throw a lot of rocks.

Dredwolf
06-22-2018, 02:46 PM
Bump. Pics of Dreds new tires?

I promise to post....as always, real life blows up schedules, plans, and even dreams sometimes.

I got JK rims, a budget boost lift, and the start of some armor, tires are coming, maybe next month.