PDA

View Full Version : Sound like battery? Hope so!

OGCollard
01-10-2018, 07:04 AM
Battery is stped august 2014. Died a few times and had to keep on trickle charger overnights in the -14 degree weather last week. Tonight, stopped at gas station, when i went to turn on it would barely crank over. Tried jumping, nothing. Have lights, have giages, i get one click when i try to turn it on. Put on trickle charger overnight with same result. Will be putting new battery in before going another route since current battery is so old. What say you guys? Think new battery will do it?

Pinkyman
01-10-2018, 08:16 AM
Have you checked the voltage while it was rinning? IIRC it should be between 13.6-14.8 or so if your alternator is working properly.

OGCollard
01-10-2018, 08:31 AM
No. Had not checked it and now its not running so cannot check it. I am going to go new battery first, then if that does not do it switch the starter. My 2000 xj with no transmission is kind of becoming a donor vehicle. Its starter is on a shelf in my garage and should slap right onto the 99

Pinkyman
01-10-2018, 09:33 AM
I had a similar situation happen on my 98 last year. It would barely crank (super slow), but it would start most of the time. So I did what any normal person would do, picked up a new battery. Low and behold that didnt fix it, and it did the EXACT same thing lol. So i replaced the starter and its been good to go ever since.

Have you tried tapping on the starter with a hammer while someone cranks it over to see if that changes anything?

OGCollard
01-10-2018, 10:23 AM
Yeah we tapped on the solenoid and it did nothing and then tapped on starter itself with same result. We have bad weather coming in this afternoon and jeep is stuck outside. I could change syarter in rain and 20 degrees after i replace the battery but instead my good friend works half a day and said he would go switch starter out for me. Thats a helluva guy right there!

4.3LXJ
01-10-2018, 10:31 AM
Battery, yeah sounds weak. Connections of terminals, definitely. Pull your alternator and have it checked. It will be free at most parts stores

denverd1
01-10-2018, 11:30 AM
I had a leaky rear main seal issue that fouled the connections at starter. even replaced the starter. check all battery terminals (corrosion can eat the metal) and connections and starter connex.

OGCollard
01-11-2018, 12:13 PM
Got home from work yesterday and my buddy had my starters all switched out! Battery was fine. The post that the plug goes into was loose on body of starter in turn draining my battery somehow. All is good now. Go get that starter fixed and slap it on the other jeep. Owe that guy a case of his favorite beverage!

4.3LXJ
01-11-2018, 12:23 PM
Gl;ad you got it sorted out