PDA

View Full Version : 2001 hood latch

mmorris
12-19-2017, 09:35 PM
When taking the hood off to cut vents, I disconnected the hood latch cable and forgot to reconnect it after reinstalling the hood. I then closed it. Damn.

I searched this site, youtube, and elsewhere. On youtube I saw several sites saying you could go underneath and insert a rod in the gap by the radiator and disengage the hood latch. Unfortunately, the electric fan is in the way; at least on this generation. So I spent several hours dismantling the headlights and removing the side hood latches. I had to use a Dremel to cut away a small amount of the plastic headlight frame just in front of the lower nut on the driver's side. I tried every combination of swivels, knees, flex shafts that I had and couldn't get onto the nut since about 3/4 of it was hidden behind plastic.The passenger side nut was accessible straight on using only a 13mm long socket.
I lubed all moving parts on all the latches and swivels; I don't want to have to do THAT again:)

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
12-20-2017, 12:28 AM
You didn't remove the headlight cans?

jonb8
12-20-2017, 05:41 AM
I reach up in between the fans from underneath with a thick wire, a hook bent on the end. I hook the rod that runs from latch to latch, it bends the rod but after it pops I just straighten it out..

mmorris
12-20-2017, 09:35 AM
Yes, I did but the plastic lining the headlight indentation was in the way of the lower bolt on the driver's side; not the passengers. I don't know why they would be different. Since the CarFax shows no accidents, I'm assuming it came this way from the factory. I could get an open end wrench on the nut but couldn't get enough torque to break it loose therefore I cut about a quarter sized half moon out to get a socket on it.

mmorris
12-20-2017, 09:36 AM
I reach up in between the fans from underneath with a thick wire, a hook bent on the end. I hook the rod that runs from latch to latch, it bends the rod but after it pops I just straighten it out..That makes sense!