PDA

View Full Version : Best OEM-like Carpet?

Crist Clapper
12-12-2017, 08:39 PM
1987 Wagoneer-XJ-Limited

Ready to purchase carpet for my restoration. Considering ACC's Essex with the upgraded backing. Experiences good and/or bad? Tips and hints?

carloxj
03-06-2018, 03:33 AM
Try stockinteriors. They offer custom made replacement carpets.

XJ Wheeler
03-14-2018, 03:00 PM
I know it's been a bit but did you find a place? I will probably be looking for the main, seating area section in a few weeks. To be honest I haven't started researching but your thread got me wondering since your build is so well done.

Crist Clapper
03-14-2018, 08:17 PM
I can only share me experience... I did purchase ACC's Essex with backing from Stock-Interiors.

If you decide to purchase ACC carpet... There are a number of companies that sell it.

Stock-Interiors: The were extremely customer-friendly. Quick order-to-delivery. I did had a problem with the rear-carpet and they resolved it appropriately.

I am speculating... That the carpet from the merchants such as Stock-Interiors actually ships from the manufacture. As... Tucked inside the rear-carpet was paper-work/invoice from "BJ's Jeep"!

This leads me to a trend I have observed... Items being returned to merchants/companies that are then re-sent to other customers. I'm near 100% this is the situation with my carpet... And other internet items I have ordered recently.

My two-cents.

abebehrmann
03-15-2018, 10:31 AM
You are correct sir. This practice is called "drop-shipping" and is getting much more common with internet sellers. The sellers get the benefit (and profits) of having a retail store without ever having to take the risk of purchasing a product that may sit on the shelf for years to come. Can make things very difficult if you have a less-than-reputable seller and need to return an item.

XJ Wheeler
03-16-2018, 05:53 PM
I'm familiar with drop shipping. It's also called blind shipping. I've delivered parts that way. Odd way to do it.

Thanks for the info. I've never purchased these fitted carpet sections so I definitely appreciate it! I always say, mistakes happen, it's how the business deals with it that matters.

denverd1
03-19-2018, 03:57 PM
that's digital retail for ya. much more common these days as most folks are resellers of someone else's goods.

CC what's left to restore on it?

Crist Clapper
03-19-2018, 05:55 PM
that's digital retail for ya. much more common these days as most folks are resellers of someone else's goods.

CC what's left to restore on it?

What's left... I'm installing the re-covered interior-door-panels now. The NOS seat-covers are back from the upholsterer... Pending installation after the carpet is installed.

The carpet... The front carpet is by-far the most "no-fun" job so far! Mostly because of all the excess carpet as a result of the molding process. My observation is that the carpet folks start with a flat piece... As a result from side-to-side between door-sills is an okay fit... If/when you can get past the nip/tuck/pull/cuts for the hump! Now try and visualize where the carpet was used to form around the hump is now flat under the dash... And so much excess carpet! Then so many obstacles and tight-spaces! I stop and go on this because it challenges my patience!

:giggle::cuss::giggle:

After the carpet and seats... I'll have a lot of small-stuff/fine-tuning to do.

4.3LXJ
03-19-2018, 09:23 PM
I am wondering if this is just the brand you got. Most of the pics of "preformed" carpet don't seem to have that much left over

Crist Clapper
03-20-2018, 08:00 AM
I am wondering if this is just the brand you got. Most of the pics of "preformed" carpet don't seem to have that much left over

Beware of appearances...:D

Anything is possible. I'm still working on the installation... If I find a better way... I'll be sure to let ya know!

PS: The carpet is from ACC... Which seems to be the most popular.